Science Forums

Would you live in outer space?

masonswanson

i'm much too in love with this earth to leave it behind...

...although I wouldn't mind spending a few days in space.

These two quotes sum up my position perfectly - the Earth is too sacred to me to want to leave it, although I would like to spend a few days in rapturous orbit around it.

would you even want to i mean if it was just you and a few strangers and you were expected to build things up there and actually be there for a long time

Given the ability to travel to distant galaxies, I would love the opportunity to explore for mankind. Just to build an outpost on the moon, forget-about-it.

would there be a Wal-Mart? it's bad enough that I moved from the city to the middle of the woods, and am almost 20 miles from Wal-Mart. Now you're talking about going to space?

Actually, it might be interesting, depending on *where* I'd be living. Assuming that the conditions were tolerable, and I wouldn't have to spend my entire life in a space suit to breathe, I'd be game for a new place. I get the itch to move about every three years, and after seeing most of the States, a good hunk of the Middle East, and most of Europe, as well as living in Central and South America, SPACE really is one of the last places to be "new" for me. Sign me UP, as long as I can keep on Hypography-ing!!!

would there be a Wal-Mart?

this has always been my greatest concern but replace walmart with high speed gigabit ethernet connection . . . the speed of light lag may create problems trying to access my regular haunts on the internet.. i could not imagine losing my connection voluntarily for more than a few weeks at a time.. utterly unthinkable.

techniques for instantaneous communication will have to be perfected to keep us in communication with humanity once we leave this world.. by the end of the decade if we tackle the moon a second time in earnest the time lag issue and solutions will be center stage.

superconductor tether all the way to the moon maybe?? or something equally laughable? tachyon based superpotential particle tranceivers arrays in orbit around earth and the moon.

travel methods.. filling up a ship with water and making fish of the crew was ruled out as not practical

freezing the crew in solid metal also ruled out because we'd miss the trip..

deadalus is out of the question for now because it uses nukes.

i don't believe in space folding or wormholes

teleportation involves cloning and destruction of the original person and impossibly large buffers [that don't exist].

and most other known techniques take too much time.

what is the best method [of space travel] that would offer speed and political correctness?

i have ideas such as hyper accelerating (in a cloud of hyper potential particles) all atoms in one uniform vector (presumably the speed would max out or exceed the speed of light (i'm looking for proof though that matter isn't energy and that matter can exceed the speed of light)). the hyperpotential particals would be paired up with the matter from te thing which is to be accelerated, or the whole object the ship can be progressively accelerated on the bow wake of the hyperpotential particles. one thing i was asking before is if string theory allows for controlling such a wave and the particles they control. presumably if strings can be controlled then such radical transportation methods as wormholes and such can be exploited, where you will be modifying the properties of space creating a zone in space that has abnormal properties like instead of drag/friction travelling through space once manipulated on the string level will impart momentum to your ship (which can be done locally rather than like stargate which requuires that space to be modified the whole way along the intended path... but then i shouldn't really be quoting sci-fi...

mmm hunting for extraplanetary fossils , venus/asteroid belt/europa here i come.. lol