Science Forums

Easter Facelift

Tormod

Yepp - the mrs says well done, as the rest before me. Good luck with the rest and "new" Hypography.
We're sorry, Yvonne, if you don't see him for the *next* week as well while he "finishes up".... ;)

Isn't he cute when he works so intently? :evil:

There is always one more feature, :D

Buffy

We're sorry, Yvonne, if you don't see him for the *next* week as well while he "finishes up".... :)

Isn't he cute when he works so intently? :painting:

Well, I haven't seen anything new pop up since the new header. I'm beginning to think T's on some sort of extended beer break or something. :hihi:

Well, I haven't seen anything new pop up since the new header. I'm beginning to think T's on some sort of extended beer break or something. :)

1) Hypography - Science for everyone is completely redesigned (apart from a few sections, still some bugs with the quizzes and no solution for our link collection) - forum login now also logs you into the portal so you can rate and comment news items, reviews etc.

1b) Very soon members can publish their own papers and articles through the portal.

2) Forums are upgraded. New features are:

- Revamped user profiles with more interesting information

- User social groups (create and join groups)

- user albums for photos etc

- And lots of other new features: vBulletin 3.7 First Look! - vBulletin Community Forum

3) I ran out of time but expect the forum right column with updated threads, unanswered threads (new!), latest news from the main portal, an photo album pictures.

4) Probably more stuff too.

The User Feedback forum:

User feedback - Science Forums

I'll try to set up a better bug report feature later (I had to uninstall it for the upgrade, but will get it back up when I get the time).

Another new feature:

Use the search form in the new header. It uses Google Customized Search and searchs our entire portal, including forums, articles, reviews, links, hypographies.

People who miss the old NEWS pages will find them here:

Hypography - Science for everyone - News

the entire archives are there.

It is updated daily, with gems like this:

Hypography - Science for everyone - Researchers unravel the secrets of spider silk's strength

It would be a good idea to bookmark Hypography - Science for everyone rather than the forums front page if you want to keep up to date on what's going on. :)

The contacts popup window in Quick Links is kinda cool. Not sure how to use it, but it's kewl. :) What's the difference between a contact & a friend? (Don't tell me 6 inches either.:eek_big: ) :):shrug:

A contact is just a user you've added to your own list. It is a "one way" addition to your list. It's essentially the opposite of an ignored user, in that it's up to you to decide who is listed there... almost like a favorites or bookmark, but for users.

A friend is someone who has accepted an invitation from you (or you from them), and is a "two way" agreement between two members.

The contacts popup is just a quick visual representation of your contact list, split by "online" versus "offline." By selecting the checkboxes beside the usernames, you can implement actions in batch groups of contacts (instead of one by one). If you have a popup blocker preventing it from launching, you can just press and continue to hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard as you click the link from the Quick Links drop-down.