Science Forums

IPhone SDK

Geez, you mean there's something you'd want to do that didn't require an Internet connection? :doh:

Allowing broadband carriers to control what people see and do online would fundamentally undermine the principles that have made the Internet such a success, :D

Buffy

T, is it jailbroken and are you installing all the gazillion third party apps on it?

Not yet. Just tried Handbrake to put a movie on it so far (worked fine). Where are all these third party apps!!!

I wish ereader.com would make their ebook reader available on the iPod - at least they have stated that they will try when the SDK arrives. Here's to hoping. :phones:

i don't really care for the SDK, its expensive to use, and honestly there are plenty of ways to code for iphone that are nowhere as expensive :winter_brr:
What's expensive? The SDK is free, and the only alternative is to keep your iPhone at 1.1.2 firmware (which I can't do because only the latest firmware has decent support for sync'ing)...

Get a mushroom - it's Super Mario! ;)

Buffy

1.1.4, Buffy, it's jailbroken ...
Of course it is, but some of us don't like to go "out of warranty"... ;)
funny you say super mario, i have it in the nes emulator on the phone...
Gosh, don't tell my kid or I'll have to load Nintendogs on it....

Woof! Throw my frisbee! :winter_brr:

Buffy

Oh gosh, you can practically hear the drool dripping down this iPhone SDK review at Infoworld....

from the work I'm doing with the publicly available preview tools and documentation, I can attest that iPhone will be the simplest, best-documented, and most enjoyable experience for mobile application developers. I have coded fairly extensively with Symbian, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry. iPhone just blows them away, making me wonder who decided that mobile development had to be difficult. I'll take that a step further: If you're new to programming, iPhone or iPod Touch is a splendid place to start.

Hear the wave?

The dropsy drown this fool I what do you mean to dote thus on such luggage? ;)

Buffy

it's a really nice review, but i am still upgrading my phone to 1.1.4 (i'm on 1.1.1) and jailbreaking it ;), there is a world of apps that are just overly excellent for ipod... i mean first thing i'm doing with the new jailbroken phone is setting it up with nmap and metasploit :winter_brr:

Ok, things that people need to know:

jailbreaking the phone may cause the phone to act as if it has not been activated, what you need to do is go back to ziphone, set it to reboot in recover mode, reboot, connect it to itunes, recover, it will restart, see your activation, and reactivate the phone. At this point you can resync it to itunes and re jailbreak it, it will work the second time :)

The default password has changed on the iphone and itouch, with firmware version 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 the default root password is now "alpine", for older firmware the default root password is "dottie". Here's a big fat warning, changing your password will render your iphone unusable, as everything on it runs within the root environment, so be careful!

There is now a debian apt installer called Cydia, if you choose to use it, remember that you no longer want to update the BSD subsystem, it will break things and the cydia installer warns you about it, do take them up on the warning, i know i will :)

now off to get nmap and metasploit running on the phone :) and discover the world of cydia

So, I just downloaded my copy of the iPhone SDK.

Anyone else playing with it?

I'm building an app-specific RSS reader, but that's it for now...

I want to put a ding in the universe, ;)

Buffy

Interesting no I havent downloaded the SDK yet please tell us how you get on...

I do code for mobile phones though mainly engineering progs bit boring I know but hey everyone should have a hobby....

Im just jealous you have an iphone....jealous... jealous ....jealous...

my next phone will be an iphone.. my contract is not up for ages though...

and dont it make my blue eyes green ;)

Peace

:)