Science Forums

Our Beloved Comix

Symbology

I have watched the posted comics of Jeff Swenson on this site for a few months. They started at insulting of religious topics and have gotten progressively worse. At this point it seems to be devolving to inane and 12 year old low brow humor. To my observation he seems to take particular pleasure in humor related to what religious groups would find taboo or vulgar.

I can appreciate a different view on things that make me reconsider a view point. I am a great fan of George Carlin who has made fun of both religions and bad language. But when he does it, it is for things that really make me go "hmmm"... not "oh come on don't be rude just to get a rise out of someone"

Something that disrespects someone else's religion, be it Islam, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Pagan etc with such apparent and consistent venom, doesn't strike me as being all that fair or in the theme of open debate that this web site presents.

Any other thoughts on the topic?

Personally at this point I would like to see an alternative comic found. I would rather be enlightened, not embarrassed of inviting my friends into our discussions, because their religion is the target of ridicule.

Trust is the basis of all relationships

Something that disrespects someone else's religion, be it Islam, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Pagan etc with such apparent and consistent venom, doesn't strike me as being all that fair or in the theme of open debate that this web site presents.

I agree.

I have found a few to be humorous, but overall they are a bit on the harshly critical side and I could see some people getting offended by them. Also, most are, imho, not funny at all. :turtle:

What about a more science based cartoon in replacement?

Such as:

Last Few Nearing Zero Cartoons

or my favorite

xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language - By Randall Munroe (he seems like a great guy and would probably allow free use for Hypography)

Well MB, there's the one in the "hidden forum" and then there's the post that Craig started here:

http://hypography.com/forums/books-movies-games/13174-10-23-2007-freethunk-atheist-vampire.html

Is that what you meant or is there another one I'm missing? :turtle:

I'm pretty sure there was another one because I remember taking part in the discussion.

By the way I would clarify that anything discriminating based on someones race, religion, age, nationality, sexual preference etc is generally a legal issue in corporate America. I recognize we have the first amendment rights here, but I would advise that anything that greets us all on our login page should fall within what any Fortune 500 company would allow on their networks... since there is a good chance that these pages might be found there... and we would like them to be welcome there.

Alternatively I would not have such an issue if the comic was buried somewhere that I had to go look for it. There are various topics I don't expect I want to be part of for various reasons. And having the choice not to view it generally works for me. However currently I am greeted by the comic at both the home page and the Science forum on my way to my User CP.

Dilbert, Far Side etc can certainly offend the guilty, but they still manages to do it within the limits listed above.

By the way I would clarify that anything discriminating based on someones race, religion, age, nationality, sexual preference etc is generally a legal issue in corporate America.

That's fine but don't forget that Hypography is not corporate America but personal America (since we are hosted in the US and have a large US visitor base).

But the criticism is noted and I can confirm that the moderators have discussed this before and the current status has been a "wait and see". It will be discussed again now.

• 4 months later...