Science Forums

What do ya do when feeling depressed?

Tim_Lou

when im depressed at home (from most effective to least):

1. sleep... all troubles gone. (negative affect: might "oversleep" for like 3 or 4 hours)

2. take a hot shower, like i just did.

3. play some computer games. (negative affect: might get addicted, or feel even more depressed)

4. take out a piece of paper, do some math problems (whatever pops up in my head), or just sit there and think. (might get tired and sleep...)

5. pick a SAT book, and study like hell. (might feel more depressed.)

when im depressed in school:

1. sleep. (only during free period.)

2. take a piece of paper, and work out whatever math formula, or just sit down and think.

(well, cant pay attention to teacher that way.. but ive done this many many times.)

thats all i got :) , what about ya? :)

What do I do when depressed...

1) Take a timeout, this is a good time for some self-reflection. Though being in a depressed state of mind it is mostly negative reflection, but somtimes it helps to see those bad qualities in yourself to change them.

2) Figure out what made me depressed and charge full steam into it, try to get a little closure about the subject. This one is a big help.

3) Convert depressed emotions into literature (music or writing). I find this to be the most effective outlet, half way through the process I forget all about being depressed and continue on.

4) Talk with a friend. Even if I do not mention emotions in any way, just talking to a friend can help out if I'm not overly negative.

5) Lastly, catch a few z's. It might still be there once I wake up, but the main point is that I'm no longer brooding over it.

Poppy happy music just irritates me if I am in a sour mood.

1) I tend to just stew and brood in my bad mood. (Listen to Tom Waits or The Cranes)

2) Read, read, read, read.....

3) Sleep.

4) Go grab a beer w/ some friends.

point 4) can become dangerous that's why I never drink or use any kind of alternative drug when I'm depressed as well as I don't listen to Sepultura as it risks to make me change from a depressed in a depressed-destructive mode. But I listen neither to music like tom waits, as i don't believe in homeopathy (ie. listen to sad music doesn't make me less depressed, more the other way around).

I actually do only things that I know work, that means I don't play winmine, but maybe I juggle without trying hard stuff.

And if I can reach my girlfriend I call her...or as killean said just another friend

• 4 weeks later...

When I get depressed I do one of the following:

1. Listen to sad songs and feel sorry for myself (doesn’t help much).

2. Go somewhere public, I people watch and shake my head at all of the

stupidity and ignorance I’m surrounded by.

3. Go to bed for 12 hours, wake up and take a shower.

4. Take some St. Johns wart (a anti-depressant herb)

I hesitated to respond here as I am legally clinically depressed & have been so for ten years; nonetheless, I suppose it gives me a unique perspective on the topic. I simply withdraw. Isolating is what the "experts" call it. Pretty much Tormod's approach. I realize the original post may refer more to "the blues", than to clinical depression, but this is a major problem in USA & more often than not dismissed.

I more recently discovered that my depression is a sympton of Asperger's Disorder & while that knowledge has not lessened the depression, it has dramatically changed my view. If I isolate myself when I feel the worst, even if that means days or weeks of not interacting with people, I believe the hopelessness will pass & I maybe, just maybe, I have something to go on for after all. :cup:

hey turtle,

great that you did respond and explain. understanding is the way we master.

• 4 months later...

understanding IS the way we master.

in fact, when i am feeling down, i'll just spark up some other kind of mysterious thought and try to understand it.

i usually just listen to complicated music and try to figure out everything the musicians are doing. it's as menacing as it is beautiful, and then eventually i forget that i was even down in the first place.

E MOTION(S)