Science Forums

Clouds

Queso

Wow. Great pictures.

Wish I had some pictures to share.

Back in about 75, I was in Richardson, north of Dallas, TX, and on my way home from work.

All the traffic lights looked yellowish brown, orangey brown and brown.

The sky was 80% full of clouds, scudding fast. In between, the clouds, the sky was indigo. Not blue, deep dark purple. The clouds looked yellowish.

I stopped at a friend's house to ask her if she had a camera. Then the show really began. The indigo sky became intense and the "color" of everything looked off. My red car looked brown.

Then came the "mammalian" clouds. Large spherical breast-like puffs of clouds began descending from the cloud deck. They slowly broke free of the deck, forming spheres which evaporated after 3 or 4 minutes. More "breasts" descended behind them, only to break free and vanish. The cycle was about 10 minutes in all. Total phenimenon was about 1 hour long.

Then the sun began to set, the purple sky went to light blue, the color of everything went normal, and the cloud deck, became just a 50% stratus layer. By then we had 12 people in the front yard, but NO camera!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

interesting clouds here> :omg: put on your tin foil hats!!!

full article: Spaceweather.com

...Considered a mystery for many years, punch hole clouds appear on rare occasions all over the world, sometimes attracting widespread attention, e.g., the famous Moscow UFO cloud of 2009. Recently meteorologists have penetrated the mystery: punch holes form when airplanes fly through thin layers of high altitude clouds. If water droplets in the cloud are supercooled (below freezing but still liquid), they can suddenly turn to snow when shocked by the passage of the plane. This mini-snowstorm occurs over a circular area much wider than the airplane itself. ...