Science Forums

Clouds

Queso

No, they're all those things at once!

• Fractal equations can describe their overall shapes as well as the convection that goes on within them.
  • The motion of the molecules and droplets of water within them are highly chaotic.
  • The chaos of the elements drive the seemingly ordered image of the whole.
  • The seemingly ordered shapes cannot be predicted because of the underlying chaotic nature of the system.

Ergo, all of the above all at once!

Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air, :)

Buffy

wait....so....

they're all of those things?

does that mean it just depends on how you look at them?

Yes all those thingys Buffy silver bulleted so sharply. But also, yes it depends on how you look at them. A cloud is a cloud, but I have taken to taking an up-fluff view. :turtle: :ud: :hyper: If youv'e looked at these already, you can at least look at one again for the first time. ;) I have more where this came from. :hyper: Cloudy is as cloudy does I hear. :hyper:

YouTube - SUCTON time-lapse 11/08/07 {b} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63_yDVgTm4

Gosh, I just *LOVE* the Straight-Up Cam! :cheer:

But now they only block the sun, they rain and snow on everyone, :phones:

Buffy

Thanks Buffy! I need all the encouragement I can get because, as it turns out, the straight-up cam is a lot of work. :hyper: That is more a reflection on my ability to do work than on the rewards of having it done, and I do think I'm onto treasure. :bounce: :fluffy:

Fractal treasure Orby! The real stuff. Others have looked at cloud chaos from above recently, and for eons from aside, but few from below and straight up. Here's a neat NASA site I just found: >> http://climate.gsfc.nasa.gov/~cahalan/FractalClouds/FractalClouds.html

Well, rather than get all foamy at the mouth for this straight-up looking at bottoms-of-clouds business, I found this a rather extrordinary bit of cloudiness.

YouTube - SUCTON-2 --clouds crossing vectors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYB-hX3FCw

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I found this vidio that some wild looking clouds, what would cause this formation.

Some special circumstance of pressure, temperature, and humidity, coupled with unknown forces? :eek_big: :D :turtle:

Are clouds chaotic or fractal or neither or in-between? :Glasses:

This straight-up-cam time-lapse has some very fractal boundry tendril action going on. More Julia set than Mandelbrot in my judgement. :doh:

YouTube - SUCTON time-lapse 11/10/07 {b} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mssUxPv9iE4

Hey Tomod!? Have you seen these clouds there is Oslo? Very rare stuff they are saying. :shrug: .....:Glasses:

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

...Also known as "Mother of Pearl" clouds, nacreous clouds are peppered with tiny ice crystals that blaze with iridescent color when struck by light from the setting sun. It is these crystals that make nacreous clouds rare: they require exceptionally low temperatures of minus 85 Celsius (-120 F) to form. Nacrous clouds float 9 to 16 miles high, curling and uncurling hypnotically as they are stretched in and out by atmospheric gravity waves.

"The clouds were all over the sky today - from dawn til dusk," adds Morten Ross of Oslo, Norway. "Incredible!"

Nacreous clouds - Atmospheric Optics

• 3 weeks later...