Science Forums

Space does not expand. It is us who are shrinking.

kmarinas86

If you think about it, it makes sense. Currently the visible objects in the universe are giving off massive amounts of radiation, more than they are absorbing. This results in a slow process in the reduction of mass. Since radiation has an angular spin, even an angular momentum, it would make sense that the formation of a photon would come with a corresponding change in the angular momentum of a system of gravitating particles. We know that when most objects heat, they expand. Therefore wouldn't it make sense that they shrink when radiation is given off? The radiation consists of electric and magnetic fields, fields which leave matter are lost to space. When matter loses electric and magnetic fields, it interacts less with the surround electric and magnetic fields. The system would then be shrinking. But how fast is this shrinking? If we thinking the universe follows Hubble:

(size = x)

(growth rate = derivative of x = 1)

Couldn't it really be us shrinking?

(size = 1/x)

(growth rate = derivative of 1/x = -1/x^2)

If it is us shrinking, then apparently the shrinking is slowing down! This would make sense if we understand that if there is less mass, then it's power would decrease.

If we are shrinking, then that would make the wavelengths of distant light appear redder without the need for expanding space (because longer wavelength tends towards red).

Stars in the far distant universe appear dimmer that they appear they should be for a given redshift, according to standard theory.

If our eyes shrink, that means less light to recieve.

continued...

Perhaps it is the case that space is expanding AND stuff is shrinking, while at the same time the space of expanding stuff is shrinking. Push me, pull you. If you consider a boat moving under power on water, it is periodically accelerated and decelerated with every wave it encounters.

concluded...;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Maybe you can read something about "consciousness, the border of the universe". I don't think that we are shrinking. That would be if space was only 3 dimenional. But that we are at the border of the universe, that make's sence at the point where you are thinking about.

Check out post #13 of this thread. >> http://hypography.com/forums/astronomy-cosmology/13916-do-spiral-galaxy-hurricane-share-similar-2.html

[spock]Fascinating![/spock]

Well In My Opinion, it only turns the question around:

What are we shrinking from?

Well, not really. Let me try to explain why. It may not make much sense, as I'm really trying to convey the ideas of others through my own limited understanding and ability.

When it comes to expansion (or contraction), what we are ultimately measuring are ratios.

It's like how many meter long steel rods will fit in the space between here and some other galaxy? If the meter rods get smaller (as well as everything else like atoms, subatomic particles, planck lengths, etc.) then it is equivalent to suggesting that this other galaxy was moving farther away.

Again... it's about the ratios.

Now, in reality, it doesn't seem to make much sense talking about changing the fundamental units like [math]\hbar[/math], c, or G, because it wouldn't be detectable empirically if they DID change. Everything is explained in planck units, so if we did make that meter long steel rod smaller, then all of the atoms would have to become smaller, as they are the fixed units by which everything else is compared.

Either way, I disagree with your comment "what are we shrinking FROM," since the universe is, by definition, everything. So... this approach allows us to suggest that we're not shrinking FROM anything, nor expanding INTO anything... and allows us to concentrate on the fundamental ratios instead.

Again, I really don't care either way, nor do I think one idea is necessarily better than another... I'm just putting this out there as food for thought.

Cheers. :cup:

Oh, well, h-bar. Of course! Why didn't you say so?

The cellar stretched before me like some vast primeval plain, empty of life, littered with the relics of a vanished race. No desert island castaway ever faced so bleak a prospect, :shrug:

Buffy