Science Forums

What do you listen to?

Fishteacher73

Right now I keep listening to the same CDs over and over - System of a Down, Nickelback, and Puddle of Mudd. Haven't gotten burnt out on them yet.

Overall, I have a wide ranging taste in music. Someone at work made fun of me the other day because I had an ABBA CD ... and a Ricky Martin, and a Weird Al Yankovich, and a Jethro Tull (she said he was gay). I like Three Dog Night, Chicago, Chase, Maynard Ferguson, Pink, Firehouse, Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver, Ozzy, Alanis Morrisette, Offspring, and even some of the bubble gum stuff too, like Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. Also have a few "classical" tapes, with songs like William Tell Overture, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, Hungarian Rhapsody (I think it is .. it's the one Bugs Bunny plays when the mouse keeps poking his head out of the piano), etc.

About the only things I can't stand are twangy country music and gangster rap. They suck.

Jethro Tull (she said he was gay).
Not a guy, niether is Pink Floyd...

A Jethro Tull is a a 19th Century seed drill used to dig holes to plant crops.. (Ian Anderson is the front mant of Jethro Tull).

And Ian isn't gay either: got a wife and a couple of kids...and Martin Barre is one of my favorite guitarists of all time....I learned a lot trying to learn his riffs...

I did know someone named "Pink Cloud" (no relation): said so on his California Driver's License. Pink Floyd is David Gilmore, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright...If you haven't played "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching the Wizard of Oz, you don't know what you're missing...

Cheers,

Buffy

As I type this I am listening to Santana on the radio;a cut from the Abraxus album. I'm not good on some types of memory, like I don't even know the song name. But I want to relate this story to reflect how deeply music is in my soul.

The first album I ever bought in my life was Santana's Abraxus; about 1968 I guess. If you don't know the album, it is a single in a double/foldout cover. On the cover, among other things, a bear-breasted women in a scene of other activity. The point here is that I was a young man at the time, and if I had come home with that cover & my mother had seen it, there would have been hell to pay. But I bought the album because I heard it on the radio and then as now, it was simply overwhelming. I did however, tear off the cover outside the store & throw it in the trash.

Several months ago, Carlos Santana was in Portland Oregon at he KGON station doing an interview & taking calls. I called in and told Carlos my story and asked him about the cover. He said who the artist was (I forget), & who the woman was, & told this about the cover. It is an alegory for the ascension. I then told Carlos God bless you Don Carlos, what is your favorite album cover. (I meant of his) He said his favorite was one of Jimmy Hendrick's coversw, & again I forget which.

Anyway, today I was in the dance with Carlos again. :)

I then told Carlos God bless you Don Carlos, what is your favorite album cover. (I meant of his) He said his favorite was one of Jimmy Hendrick's coversw, & again I forget which.

Anyway, today I was in the dance with Carlos again. :)

Hedrix's Electric Ladyland (named after his studio) album cover in the UK was him surrounded by female nudes. The US release naturally was censored and instead had a stylized image of Hendrix.

Just as the Beatles album with John and Yoko in bed nude in the UK became the "Double White" album in the US. Just blank white covers as protest.

And the Santana Album had the nude BIG breasted woman straddling a congo drum.

One of the lessor known album covers that got censored was "Mom's apple pie". Imagine a young woman in country housuewife attire (not cowboy) holding an apple pie with a slice missing. The opening left by the slice was a relatively accurate rendering of the female body part with er juices dripping from the pie pan. The later releases had a brick wall in the space. Pictures can be found at (don't ya love the net?)

http://friends.s5.net/mazzini/plosce/pie.html

Not to be one to split hairs, but it was my understanding that the "Some Girls" lawsuit was a civil suit brought on by Sophia Loren and Lucille Ball because some of the images on the first pressing looked like them.

"Frankenchrist" was brought up on criminal charges, "distribution of harmful matter to minors". The charges were dropped but helped bring the PMRC attention and ammo to promote stickering.

Yes, the mood theme runs true.Rather than a long list of things I listen to depending on mood, a short list of what I don't. Country & Opera

Same applies here but metal and other forms of hard rock are also on my list. But my mood doesn't determine what kind of music I listen to, it determines if I listen to it. Some of my favorites are Linkin Park :D (you can't beat "A Place My Head", "In The End", "Faint", "Somewhere I Belong", "Numb", "Lying From You", or "Figure.09"), Eminem, Classical Masterpieces (My Favorite Chopin, Anton Bruckner, Joseph Haydn, Mozart), Simple Plan, Story Of The Year, Evanescense, 50 Cent, Lil' Jon, Green Day, Avril Lavigne, C&C Music Factory (Eveybody Dance, NOW), Britney Spears (but only "Baby One More Time" and only when I'm watching the music video too :D ) and Three Days Grace.... There's something for eveyone!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also listening to the mingling of people throughout this house, the hums of endless electronics i have scattered around me in U shape, and occasionally a car that fades in and out. something outside clicks every now and then, a bird or something. my stomache growls and my imagination pans left and right, while my lava lamp flickers, and keys walk out the side door.

i'm also listening to the mingling of people throughout this house, the hums of endless electronics i have scattered around me in U shape, and occasionally a car that fades in and out. something outside clicks every now and then, a bird or something. my stomache growls and my imagination pans left and right, while my lava lamp flickers, and keys walk out the side door.

Godspeed You Black Emperor is pretty much the musical equivilant of that.....Some great post-rock...Check out their album Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven, magnificent.