Queso

Leaping into the future !

The ape conducts the universe

conducts the ape, tapping away

at the keys with knees and yeah I find myself

going back and forth between now and then

and what's to come, finding pieces to the puzzle

everywhere.

I voice my intent on consulting the Oracle who bears the four wheel wagon, and any one else who's dug their toes into the past. :)

I intend on bringing a slingshot, some rope, a small pot, large knife, clothes, dr. brohns magic soap, small tent, and maybe some tarp?

[into the forest]

What else would you bring?

What else should I bring?

Oh...also bringing this book called "how to stay alive in the woods"

:D:hyper:

Take some form of water purification with you. Ideally you can get a portable pump for around $40, or you can buy some iodine tablets or just use a small amount of bleach. I would take some bleach anyways as it is great for sanitizing cookware.

I would also recommend some form of fire starting. They sell a metal block which you can shave and then strike your knife against the attached flint rod to create fire. The advantage here is that you can start a fire even in wet conditions.

Some other misc stuff I would recommend:

toothbrush

duct tape

compass

whistle

...and I'll probably think of more later...

:)

a canteen or two; some way to carry a pottle of water. ('pottle' is an archaic term for 1/2 gallon)

affirmative to Freezter's list.

given the current social trend in TV programming for reality themes, if you get a chance you may find some helpful stuff in the 'Survivor Man' series running on one of the cable science outlets. He gets dropped in to extreme environments with usually just a knife and water bottle, and works his way back out to civilization. :eek:

A GPS and cell phone are handy, although the phone won't work in many remote areas. In any case, before you go, leave an itenerary with peeps at home that outlines where you are going, what route you are taking, and when you plan to return. This alerts them to possible danger if/when you don't return on time and gives vital information to rescue folks should they need to come rescue you.

I'm sure I have more, but it escapes me at the moment. :hyper: Addenda to follow. :D :)

I voice my intent on consulting the Oracle who bears the four wheel wagon, and any one else who's dug their toes into the past. :)

I intend on bringing a slingshot, some rope, a small pot, large knife, clothes, dr. brohns magic soap, small tent, and maybe some tarp?

[into the forest]

What else would you bring?

What else should I bring?

Oh...also bringing this book called "how to stay alive in the woods"

:D:hyper:

Number 1. Read the book BEFORE heading into the forest.

Adding to Freezes magnesium (I think its magnesium) suggestion, Practice Building a Fire with the stuff before heading out.

A small whetstone.

A Plumbers candle.

Toilet Paper!! :eek:

I read somewhere you can make waterproof matches by using the stick matches and coating them with wax. I would test that out before counting on it.

A small whetstone.

Indeed, and make sure your knife is non-serrated and of good quality steel (ie Solingen).

Another good item to have is a first aid kit. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but some bandage wrap and antibacterial ointment (tea tree oil) could be beneficial to have around. A needle and thread can be handy if you manage to split yourself open and can be useful for other mending as well.

I know you want to live off the land but you should take along some type of MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) just in case.

and a flashlight is a good thing for things that go bump in the night.

it can get cold in them there wood blanket/sleeping bag. :shrug::help:

and a bar of soap.

small tarp to keep the rain off of you.

Meals Ready to Eat

have a good trip.

i'll be able to cook up rice and veggies in a little pot no problem. I'm a decent cook and I know I won't be able to fully sustain my needs in the forest.

Although I want to see how much I can really get away with.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

and uh, lol

who's larry ellison?

while the compass is useful on its own to some degree, it is at its most useful when used in combination with a topo map. You can buy them at GI Joes for around $4 I think. (do you have GI Joes (now just 'Joes') in Cally?)

one of those small folding shovels is very helpful, & in some forests visitors are encouraged/required to have a shovel for fire fighting.

oh...and take a hat. :confused:

while the compass is useful on its own to some degree, it is at its most useful when used in combination with a topo map. You can buy them at GI Joes for around $4 I think. (do you have GI Joes (now just 'Joes') in Cally?)

Actually, if you have a color printer, then you can make your own at one of the sites below for free.

USGS Geography: The National Map

Maps, World Maps, Satellite Maps, World Atlas, Print Maps, Buy Maps - National Geographic

one of those small folding shovels is very helpful, & in some forests visitors are encouraged/required to have a shovel for fire fighting.

I've seen a folding shovel that has a blade on one side that can be used as a hatchet. I can't remember where I saw it though.

oh...and take a hat. ;)

Yeah, cover those dreads hippy! :D

:eek2:

But seriously, take it from someone who lived in the wet, wet pacific northwest with dreads, keep them as dry as possible. I've met several dreadies from the west coast that had mold and mildew growing in their locks when they cut them. :confused: Fortunately, I didn't suffer the same fate (I miss them though :().

I've seen a folding shovel that has a blade on one side that can be used as a hatchet. I can't remember where I saw it though.

Maybe not the same one, but here's a cool one:

Amazon.com: 6-in-1 Survival Shovel Tool: Sports & Outdoors http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Survival-Gear-6-in-1-Shovel/dp/B000NNZFF4

Also, check out REI. I LOVE that place! :eek2:

Might be a good idea to bring lots of extra socks. That way, when two or three pairs get soaked and are hanging to dry, you will still have extra. Just be sure to store them in sealed zip bags of some sort.

Enjoy mate. Be sure to report back. ;)

Oh!! - and Sunglasses. :confused:

Maybe not the same one, but here's a cool one:

Amazon.com: 6-in-1 Survival Shovel Tool: Sports & Outdoors

That's not the same one, but it's even cooler. I wonder how much it weighs.

Also, check out REI. I LOVE that place! :D

Me too!

Might be a good idea to bring lots of extra socks. That way, when two or three pairs get soaked and are hanging to dry, you will still have extra. Just be sure to store them in sealed zip bags of some sort.

Enjoy mate. Be sure to report back. ;)

Oh!! - and Sunglasses. :confused:

Or you can just go barefoot and say "the heck with socks". :eek2:

That's not the same one, but it's even cooler. I wonder how much it weighs.

Well, the shipping weight is identified at 2.5lbs, and one of the reviewers states that it is "just over a pound," so... not a whole lot. :confused:

Or you can just go barefoot and say "the heck with socks". ;)

Climbing sharp cliffs barefoot is not my idea of a good time. Ask me again after the tequila is gone. :eek2: