Science Forums

Origin of Religion

Mike C

So, let us look for the reasons of the current predominant religion.

The current religion was created millenniums ago by ancient minds that had no access to science or the evolution of the human race.

However, they were aware of the Sun, Moon and the seven planets that revealed themselves as moving bright stars and also the stable fixed distant twinkling stars in the heavens.

What did they learn from these heavenly bodies?

Well, let us first look to the surrounding environment that was available to the writers of the bible.

Since this book has so much influence on today’s society here in the west, the bible will be evaluated.

The bible promotes the 'one god' concept with the 1st 3 commandments. It also promotes chauvinism with the long line of generations of their sons while promoting the females (Eve) as sinners according to my summation of the biblical content.

How did they arrive at this conclusion? Well, in nature, there is just one land animal that promotes the chauvinistic characteristic and that is the male lion. It is the 'supreme killer' in Africa with its sharp retractable claws and its suit of 'hair' armor.

But to get to the real reason of why the ancients believed in a deity is that they knew that the cycles of the Moon were linked to the menstrual periods of the females. The females probably were aware of this first.

The image on the Moon appears to be sculptured to appear as a fetus and they took this link to the human females periods to mean that a deity or spirit was the reason for this image. This is a remarkable coincidence that cannot be ignored. So, from this link, they could have assumed that a spirit was the creator of these heavenly bodies and therefore, has some credibility.

It just happens that this image on the Moon was linked to the land shape of the Italian peninsula that forms the shape of a human leg that the ancients were also aware of. With this assumption, the geographic land area was apportioned and identified with various body parts that progressed up through the Middle East, Arabic countries, Asia, China, Mongolia and ending in Japan.

By association with the Italian peninsula, the Holy Land is the area where the ‘rear’ (RE-ligious AR-ea) area of this human anatomy would be in relation to that peninsula.

Although this is using subliminal psychology of the English language as I see it and appears to be speculative, I am sure that this knowledge was apparent to the ancients.

These traveling merchant traders could have acquired this knowledge through their travels.

So with the link between the Moons image and the menstrual periods of woman, this could then be considered as science(?).

The idea of a creator spirit is apparent for the Moon, the Earth and the other bodies. Then, the lion identifies with the ‘day’ (light) that is the Sun and the apes and oxen with the ‘night’ (darkness) that is the Moon, establishes the origins of the beginning of the biblical idea of ‘light’ and ‘darkness’ as separate creations and would also identify the lion as the biblical Sun god.

Since the lion is a carnivorous animal that kills, it then represents death as a killer god, while on the other hand, the Moon represents the opposite as a creator God IMHO.

The genocidal deity would then have to be the lion as a punishing death god.

So the only real science here is the link between the Moon's image and the periods of the females. From this one fact, the idea of religion was then born(?).

Mike C

So the only real science here is the link between the Moon's image and the periods of the females. From this one fact, the idea of religion was then born(?).

NS

The mother goddess religion goes back to the beginning of agriculture. It was associated with the moon for the reasons you state, among others. The worship of the sun came in with the first patriarchal systems. All those occurred long before even the First Testament. If you are really interested in this old pre-history, I have it available to download at HOME PAGE Most people are not interested in it because so many of the more valuable clues as to what happened are to be found in religious mythology, and that puts off most social scientists. Myself, it is easy to evaluate myths accurately and trace their purpose when you are an atheist!

Origin of Religion?

To excert control and manipulate.

To explain to the people that they have something brighter to look forward too.

The wost crimes in history have been perpetrated by the Papal Authority.

"religion" ?

What about Pagan religion?

Native American religion?

Those are Heretical by nature because they don't conform with early Roman and Byzantine ideology?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastronism...

To claim 1 true religion is wrong..

Because humans have been so divided since history.

Lets just assume there might be a God, and its not a "He", and that we know next to nothing about it.

You forgot to add "My opinion" so that we'd all know your post isn't actually based on any facts....

Interesting--although highly sexist--speculation though.

Its not nice to fool Mother Nature, :rolleyes:

Buffy

I said 'subliminal psychology is used, where applicable', and the IMHO that translates into 'in my honest opinion'.

NS

The mother goddess religion goes back to the beginning of agriculture. It was associated with the moon for the reasons you state, among others. The worship of the sun came in with the first patriarchal systems. All those occurred long before even the First Testament. If you are really interested in this old pre-history, I have it available to download at HOME PAGE Most people are not interested in it because so many of the more valuable clues as to what happened are to be found in religious mythology, and that puts off most social scientists. Myself, it is easy to evaluate myths accurately and trace their purpose when you are an atheist!

Thanks for the added comment, but my primary interest is Cosmology.

The current BBU is, IMHO, 'cosmogony'.

NS

Origin of Religion?

To excert control and manipulate.

To explain to the people that they have something brighter to look forward too.

If you consider the 'crucifix' to be 'something brighter to look forward to', then I prefer to be a 'heretic'. Ha ha.

The wost crimes in history have been perpetrated by the Papal Authority.

Joseph Stalin, who I consider a product of the bibles 'one god concept', was the 'most savage genocidal power crazy predator' in world history.

The caption for his name is 'he shall add'. Well, in the real world, he 'subtracted' about 20-30 million Russians.

"religion" ?

What about Pagan religion?

Native American religion?

Those are Heretical by nature because they don't conform with early Roman and Byzantine ideology?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastronism...

To claim 1 true religion is wrong..

Because humans have been so divided since history.

Lets just assume there might be a God, and its not a "He", and that we know next to nothing about it.

I used the 'holy land' as the primary source of religion because that is where most all the religious attrocities are derived from.

The Egyptian 'Sphinx' had shown that the human beings were the deadliest of predators when they replaced the lions head with their own 'likeness'.

The spears and crossbows were deadlier than the lions 'fangs and claws'.

So those with the deadliest weapons rule.

It just happens that the 'gun and cannons' were invented in the Holy Roman Empire. This is what spread the bible around the world.

NS

Science may have found the origin of religion. The human brain is the probable place according to one geneticist's book.

A God Gene ?

God, too, seems to "live" in the temporal parietal lobes, specifically the OAA region.

parietal oaa god - Google Search

Skeptic: Demon-Haunted Brain

Curiously, this same area is rather active during meditation, while the amydala is quiet. :rant_red2:

http://www.bioethics.upenn.edu/pdf/wolpe_religiousresp.pdf

Science may have found the origin of religion. The human brain is the probable place according to one geneticist's book.

A God Gene ?

The human brain did not create the image on the Moon or the females 'menstrual' link to the Moon cycles unless, of course, that link was created in the 'evolution of the human race'.

So that just raises another question.

NS