Science Forums

What is your religious background

JamesBrown

Again your opinion shows through.
So what? Your opinions show through, too. You say that as if its proof of badness or wrongness. Any time anyone takes a stand or a point of view, their opinion shows through. YOU are not exempt. :hyper:
These are new times with old timers. The youth in this country are beginning to become religiously evolved, finding wisdom in all things.... This close-minded part of society is dying.
You miss the big picture. Trends toward conservatism, then towards a more liberal interpretation, rock back and forth like a pendulum over the generations. The last big cycle started in 1900-1920 with the birth of "similarity" religions, liberal interpretations, feel-good churches. Then around 1940-1950, the pendulum starting swinging back the other way, with hardcore fundementalism "separationist" religion taking the court. Back and forth. Your "new times" have been here before, and will die away, and then return some day.
Although I agree with your observations, I believe those who frown upon religion prevent themselves from observing any trends in religion....
I grew up in a very fundemental church, with lots of Bible reading and study. After reading the entire Bible straight through several times, I found myself with a global understanding -- and my faith evaporated. I have actually studied religious trends FAR more as an atheist -- as an unbiased observor -- than I ever did as a xtian. I have made an intense hobby of researching the origins and foundations of the xtian religion. Fun stuff! No really, I mean that. :) But increased wisdom, knowledge and understanding simply makes all that religious passion out there seem all the more naive and witless. Sorry. :eek:
Also, you must understand that those who are striving for reconciliation aren't afraid to die....
Be very careful what you wish for. :evil:
By the way: 2+2=4 which is 1 concept:2+2=1 and the concept of dependency concludes (2+2=1)+(2+2=4)=5. ...
You were doing so well -- and then you had to throw this gibberish in. Rather a shame, actually. I was beginning to enjoy reading your posts. :doh: Oh well. Try again.

Yes I am well aware of the fluctuations between realism and idealism throughout history. Renaissance, Baroque, the Enlightenment,, Neoclassical, romantic, realist, impressionist, expressionist, then into the modern arts. I mention the arts because they are a direct effect of the ideologies of the time. They are sometimes premature, and sometimes they come late, but the arts are still a good indicator.

I would agree with your interpretations of the cycles. But I would take it farther:

1900-1930's Idealism

1940-1950's Realism

1960-1970's Idealism

1980's Realsim

1990's Idealsim

2000-2005 Realsim

2007-present Idealism

There are plenty of studies trying to determine

the magnitude of each reaction to the prior period. And most of them find that the fluctuations are shortening, meaning that people are beginnning to fidn interest in both ideologies.

I would argue that people are finding a middle road. We are moving very close to a new age where people aren't blindly idealistic, and they refuse to be blatantly apathetic. This is all theory because you can't predict the future with any certainty, but the patterns can support the idea. Its what I, and hopefully an emerging population, can look forward to.

To All

I guess most of you should know me as the former New Science and now Mike C.

Nothing new to post, so I decided to check this thread out.

I was born and raised as a catholic. Later in life, I renounced that religion and have adopted NATURE as my religion.

Two important reasons for this is the popes opposition to abortion that is common in Nature since the land predators commit 'post abortion' and the 'food' chain in the oceans and seas is wholesale 'post abortion' where about 80% of the newborns are consumed as food. This to maintain some balance in the species.

Second - The popes opposition to 'volentary euthanasia' as the popes promoton of 'suffering'. There is NO sufferinmg in Nature.

But his claiming to be god was somehow easy to swallow?

"The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth." Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous". [source]

In conclusion, the bible is mostly a 'big lie' and promotes the 'word' as gospel.

Are you aware that 'gospel' means 'good news'? Perhaps you meant 'infallible'.

Greetings Southtown,

Hey thanks. Good news. Found it.

"Jesus rode into Jerusalem sitting on his ***."

But from which direction?

Lord Jesus Christ

--

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, then beat 'em.

-Madalyn Murray O'Hair

(1919-1995)

That no religious groups accept you is a good thing. But you seem to intently seek things to ridicule. I cannot help you.

My history is the opposite to most here. I was brought up to be an agnostic humanist. Through my interests in philosophy and theoretical physics I came to experience and thus believe in the existence of metaphysical reality, and eventually Christianity. I chose to become a Roman Catholic because it’s theology emphasizes the unity of faith and reason, as opposed to Protestants’ general emphasis on authority of scripture alone and salvation by faith alone. A few years ago I became an Eastern Orthodox Christian. I did this after studying the main issues that divided the Roman and Orthodox Churches a thousand years ago and coming to the conclusion that the Orthodox Church was correct in regards to one of the two central disagreements, over what is called the “filioque“, which refers to the nature of the procession of the Holy Spirit within the Trinity. This also made me realize that the Orthodox also have a good point in regards to the other central disagreement, which is the degree of authority the Pope should have over the whole Christian Church.

The two churches are otherwise very similar in doctrine, though the Orthodox emphasize more the concepts that truly knowing God can only come from experiencing God and that proper worship of God, this for Orthodox handed down through the traditions of the Church, opens one to a more complete experience of Him, while the Romans emphasize using both revelation and reason to the goal of understanding and explaining what God expects of us. I personally believe that both approaches should be emphasized equally.

Rich

But his claiming to be god was somehow easy to swallow?

"The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth." Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous". [source]

The popes have acquired their power with the inventions of their church followers that created the 'gun and the cannon'.

Are you aware that 'gospel' means 'good news'? Perhaps you meant 'infallible'.

What you have quoted is just the 'root' for the word.

The other definitions are more correct for that words meaning.

Mike C

New Science Rules!

I guess most of you should know me as the former New Science... I was born and raised as a catholic. Later in life, I renounced that religion and have adopted NATURE as my religion... Two important reasons for this is the popes opposition to abortion that is common in Nature since the land predators commit 'post abortion' and the 'food' chain in the oceans and seas is wholesale 'post abortion' where about 80% of the newborns are consumed as food. This to maintain some balance in the species... Second - The popes opposition to 'voluntary euthanasia' as the popes promoton of 'suffering'. There is NO suffering in Nature... NATURE is a PICTURE that teaches much more than the word can do. Sorry if I sound 'preachy' but someone has to tell the truth. That is my mission in life.

New Science Rules!!

But his claiming to be god was somehow easy to swallow? "The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth." Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous". [source]

The Last Judgment

1. Abortion

G-D said, abortion is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the embryo mother; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

2. Birth Control

G-D said, birth control is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the male and the female; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

3. Death Penalty

G-D said, death penalty is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the jurisdiction; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

4. Euthanasia

G-D said, euthanasia is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the body's owner; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

5. Embryonic Stem Cell Research

G-D said, embryonic stem cell research is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the embryo owner; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

6. Human Cloning

G-D said, human cloning is now acceptable on this planet when solely desired by the donor(s): however; there are too many souls on this planet, and many new developing planets need old souls.

7. Marriage

G-D said, marriage is no longer acceptable on this planet; as it is written at Matthew 22:30, in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of G-D in heaven.

Why Population Matters of WOA!! World Population Awareness

New Science Rules!!!

--

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, then beat 'em.

-Madalyn Murray O'Hair

(1919-1995)

OMG, the Tribe won!

I agree with most of what you have posted but as humans, we do need laws to govern ourselves.

I believe in Nature rather than the bible because it teaches us MUCH more than the bible.

You talk about other planets. Well I did think about that and life itself.

So I have come to the conclusion that there could be life on other planets IF, the 'stem cells' can survive in dormancy at 3K. I expect a test of this will/should be done in the near future.

Mike C

The old testament was written as guidelines for laws and society. the new testament is mostly propaganda. I believe in nature also. I believe those who wrote the old testament realised well before their time some of the natural patterns of people. They created simple laws accordingly. Some would say were barbarick laws, but that is relative. Some would say our laws are barbarick.

We should try to find the good in all things. We should try to use all human creations as maps that were created to help us advance.

The old testament was written as guidelines for laws and society. the new testament is mostly propaganda. I believe in nature also. I believe those who wrote the old testament realised well before their time some of the natural patterns of people. They created simple laws accordingly. Some would say were barbarick laws, but that is relative. Some would say our laws are barbarick.

We should try to find the good in all things. We should try to use all human creations as maps that were created to help us advance.

The OT is the problem in our western world.

It promotes genocide, chauvinism, one god concept, insulting to woman, erroneous creationism, racism and the existance of an 'evil' spirit that I agree does exist.

On the other hand, the NT promotes opposition to chauvinism by John the Baptist and Christ.

So now there are 'two' schools of thought on Christianity. The one that dominates and is wrong is the papal version of a suffering Christ.

Our Constitution 'outlaws' that version by promoting 'free speech' and eliminates 'cruel and unusual punishment.

Needless to say, I endorse the Constitutional version.

Mike C