Science Forums

What is your religious background

JamesBrown

PS...How is it possible that so many religions interpret the nature of God so differently?

I think the answer to this is rather simple (I avoid to write "I believe" in this context) : each and everyone sees God (or Allah or Jehovah or Whoever) through his/her own eyes. And each one remembers from the Scripture (whichever scripture) what proves him or her right. Except of course in the case of an outright conversion (rebirth...) : then each remembers from the scripture what proves the old him or her (and the rest of the world) wrong.

And many just follow leaders because it is too tiresome or too confusing to think for themselves.

PS...How is it possible that so many religions interpret the nature of God so differently?

I'm thinking that lots of people that all set out to write a story with the same beginning, "Once upon a time there was a God...." will yield lots of different stories that all start out the same. In the end they are all writings of man, nothing more, nothing less.

All religions actually say the same thing. It's peoples egos that can't allow them to think outside of their own reality.

All religions say wildly different things. You only have to read them. It's peoples' wishful thinking that can't allow them to read those scriptures and see the reality on the pages instead of their devoutly held delusions.

Depending on which way we look at it, there are a couple of reasons.

For those who do not subscribe to any religious viewpoint, they think that it originates from the differences found in people themselves. Definitely a valid thought, as no two people are alike.

Whereas those amongst the religious flocks will tell you that the difference in interpretation has a much more insidious beginning.

Also, since you mentioned that you were debating certain beliefs with the witnesses, you've got me curious as to which ones.

I've got a cheat sheet of what we believe, and the scriptures which support that belief - I could give them to you, so when they come back you'll have an idea of what they're going to say and you can further question them if you wish.

p.s. kudos to you for making us do our homework!! I'd much rather have someone who questions, and challenges me rather than just believing whatever it is I say.

Wars are not fought over the similarities between religions. That's absurd. They are fought over the differences.

Not only have you failed to post an argument, but you have embodied the very essence of ego, the cause of all conflict. While I am trying to bring beliefs together, you are trying to keep them apart. Why do people have consistantly seperate themselves from others?

I am still open to discuss differences, although this doesn't seem the appropriate thread.

Inter_spem... I meant the difference between these replies :

yours :

Name one difference and I assure you it can be unified into a single theme.

that of Pyro :

Name one similarity and I guarantee it can be distinguished into disparate interpretations.

This difference in interpretation of the same "data" is exactly what causes wars of religion ! (And that is also why I prefer to keep away from massive organized religion of whichever denomination).

I agree. I am only saying that the idea that the religions can't coexist and even enlighten each other is sad. ...
Yes, truly, it is sad.

Allow me to make an analogy. Say there are two maths: Holymath and Rightmath. In Holymath, 2+2=4. In Rightmath, 2+2=5. We assume all arithmetic is done in base 10, so stay focused. There *appears* to be a difference between these two maths! :pirate: Can't we all just get along?? :(

In this example, NO. There really is NO way you can get those maths to "coexist". At least one of them is in error. Once this is proven, the believers in the erroneous math just have to pick up the pieces and learn the other math. :doh:

Now, say there are two religions. Holyreligion says salvation comes from grace. Right religion says salvation comes from good works. There *appears* to be a difference between these two religions! Can't we all just get along?

And the answer seems to be, YES! :clue: You can reinterpret and wrap verse within verse and scramble this chapter with that chapter and do all those hand-wavey, pulpity things that preachers do, and voila!! We have coexistence and the semblance of agreement. Hoorah!! :)

But here is the crux: it is not persuasive. People instinctually know when they are being bazoomed with hand-wavey, pulpity logic. Okay, you've proven that Holyreligion is *really* the same ( :) ) as Rightreligion, but is everyone happy? No. The "conservatives" in both camps aren't gonna buy this, and you can't make them buy it.

And the attempt to make them buy it (history so painfully and bloodily shows) only pisses them off. In all religious warfare, it is the moderates and the peace-makers that are the first to die. :hihi::evil::hihi:

...caught in the crossfire... :singer:

Again your opinion shows through. These are new times with old timers. The youth in this country are beginning to become religiously evolved, finding wisdom in all things. They are social absorbed and intellectually curious, which leads them to research and compilation. Most religious discussions lead to the molding of ideas. The belief system which forces one to turn a blind eye upon similarities is being questioned. We are beginnning to mold more and more. I find this evident in any city I visit, even in my home town of Augusta Georgia. And this town is traditionally extremely conservative, with the majority of christians being southern baptist. This close-minded part of society is dying.

Although I agree with your observations, I believe those who frown upon religion prevent themselves from observing any trends in religion. If your not looking, you won't find. And you can't rely on the media for information, I'm sure you can agree with that.

Also, you must understand that those who are striving for reconciliation aren't afraid to die. It is for the love of others, and it is not in vain.

Any suggestions?

By the way: 2+2=4 which is 1 concept:2+2=1 and the concept of dependency concludes (2+2=1)+(2+2=4)=5. Perception is everything.:(

I would be interested to know the general religious background of readers of this forum. I assume that most of you are intelligent reasonable people, else why would you subscribe to Hypography, and so your experience would be interesting.

I am a product of the Latter Day Saints religion (the Mormons) from Salt Lake City – Utah although I dropped out over fifty years ago. Since then, possibly because of my advancing age and acceptance of my own mortality, I have begun to investigate my old religion. To my surprise it is even more stupendously crazy than I thought so long ago. With age come reason.

What are your experiences?

Hello JamesBrown,

No religion here, was raised Atheist.

Tried to join LDS, failed, and gave up.

As Mad, from Pa, now Texas.

Sorry about your experiences.

Well back to work,

Garry Denke

--

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, then beat 'em.

-Madalyn Murray O'Hair

(1919-1995)

They tell me that as a young child I was baptized in the Catholic church, I guess I believe them, makes no difference to me. I then spent most of my youth in the Church of God. I can remember sitting in church every sunday watching the preacher try to save us all from hell. But more than that I remember always thinking that something about this whole show never really rang true to me. I see a world full of religions that are hell bent on conversion. Once they convert you they want your total life which entails a good portion of your money and perhaps your life in some way, ie war. God didn't really mean, "Thou shalt not kill" along with a lot of other things that are in "His Word".

The more I looked into the real Jesus, I found someone who wasn't at all interested in converting the world to his beliefs. On many occassions he specifically says just the opposite. If you listen to many of the acclaimed ministers of the day, they are hell bent on conversion which I believe doesn't jive with what their God is actually saying. I kind of get this impression about some other religions too. Point is, I try to stay as far away from organized crime, I'm sorry, religion as possible.

To All

I guess most of you should know me as the former New Science and now Mike C.

Nothing new to post, so I decided to check this thread out.

I was born and raised as a catholic. Later in life, I renounced that religion and have adopted NATURE as my religion.

Two important reasons for this is the popes opposition to abortion that is common in Nature since the land predators commit 'post abortion' and the 'food' chain in the oceans and seas is wholesale 'post abortion' where about 80% of the newborns are consumed as food. This to maintain some balance in the species.

Second - The popes opposition to 'volentary euthanasia' as the popes promoton of 'suffering'. There is NO sufferinmg in Nature.

In conclusion, the bible is mostly a 'big lie' and promotes the 'word' as gospel.

On the other hand, NATURE is a PICTURE that teaches much more than the word can do.

Sorry if I sound 'preachy' but someone has to tell the truth. That is my mission in life.

Mike C