Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

• 2 weeks later...
Well that's a sad ending for the thread. :(

I'm still quite certain that Usnea resides within LP. Perhaps *just one more* survey is prudent. Besides, this thread is an example of what keeps places like this from being sold and developed. If it is given appreciation, then it may possibly survive a lot longer.

But wait! ....It's aliiiiive! :eek: :D

Ever anxious to give you what you want, I collected a sample of your Usnea on that last visit. Of course, I promptly misplaced it. :doh: But wait! It magically appeared. :lol: Without further ado, Usnea for you. :eek: :D

Usnea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your contributions are very much appreciated sir turt!

I expect some Scots Broom photos in the near future.

Roger Wilco I have not seen it in Lechtenberg, but if I run across it I'll take 'er to the Wildflowers group. As it is not native to here, if I find it in the park I'll give it a long walk off a short pier. :hihi:

Cytisus scoparius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:(

But wait! ....It's aliiiiive! :eek: :D

Ever anxious to give you what you want, I collected a sample of your Usnea on that last visit. Of course, I promptly misplaced it. :doh: But wait! It magically appeared. :magic: Without further ado, Usnea for you. :bouquet: :D

Cool! That wiki on it is actually pretty good. The medicinal effects of Usnea are highly touted. It's a good lichen to know. ;)

Roger Wilco I have not seen it in Lechtenberg, but if I run across it I'll take 'er to the Wildflowers group. As it is not native to here, if I find it in the park I'll give it a long walk off a short pier. :hihi:

Aye matey!

:(

Cool! That wiki on it is actually pretty good. The medicinal effects of Usnea are highly touted. It's a good lichen to know. :P

Aye matey!

:confused:

I spent a couple hours today in the park, and here is a new plant for us that was both a food & medicine for Native people. Not sure what medicine yet, but I'll get to that before I eat any. :P

So, we have Siberian Miner's Lettuce - Claytonia sibirica, in da house. ;)

Field Guide to the Cascades & Olympics - Google Book Search

I am making my way slowly in behind where I saw the Night Heron nesting last year, and though I haven't seen it/them yet, I did hear a raucus call that could only be a Heron.

I collected a couple other plants, and I have yet to identify them; will post when I'm either satisfied or frustrated beyond belief. :D I'm starting to think one of them is a native willow. :hihi:

That's a wrap on another report from the mud hole. :)

As I commented in the Wildflowers social group, Claytonia siberus is a new one for me. It's quite an attractive plant. :confused:

Were you able to tell a general difference (more vs. less plant growth, creek composition, etc.) this year from the flooding of Lacamas and surrounding area that occurred last year?

As I commented in the Wildflowers social group, Claytonia siberus is a new one for me. It's quite an attractive plant. :P

Were you able to tell a general difference (more vs. less plant growth, creek composition, etc.) this year from the flooding of Lacamas and surrounding area that occurred last year?

I may have photographed the Claytonia sibirica last year, and never ID'd her. :confused:

There is still standing water on the margins of the park, but the creek is well within the banks in the area I am currently exploring. Generally, the park is in much the same condition as I found it at this time last year. Today, it had that damp and musty smell that says, you're in the forest now. ;) :P

I am doing some bartering with a roomy for a pair of chest waders, so I hope to get right into the creek this year. :) No worries; we turtles can all swim. :hihi:

I am doing some bartering with a roomy for a pair of chest waders, so I hope to get right into the creek this year. :hihi: No worries; we turtles can all swim. :confused:

Chest Waders?? How deep is this creek?

May I suggest swim shoes, two heavy duty contractor garbage bags and duct tape. You'll cut the bags for your instep, and tape them on the inside. First strip to hold two pieces of bag together, then a strip on the outside of that so 3 strips of tape to ensure waterproof (you could probably get by with two) but just in case. And you'll want to strengthen crotch area (ever so important). Then put the swimming shoes on . You can even tape the bottom (loop it up over the ends of your toes) to ensure no leakage from untrimmed nails :) Fold the top of the bag over and run tape around that and you can use suspenders, or more duct tape, or shoe laces, or a dog leash... or whatever to keep the top of the bag high on your chest.

of course when I was a kid we just went in and didnt worry about such things ;)

Cedars - a DIY mom

Chest Waders?? How deep is this creek?

May I suggest swim shoes, two heavy duty contractor garbage bags and duct tape. You'll cut the bags for your instep, and tape them on the inside. First strip to hold two pieces of bag together, then a strip on the outside of that so 3 strips of tape to ensure waterproof (you could probably get by with two) but just in case. And you'll want to strengthen crotch area (ever so important). Then put the swimming shoes on . You can even tape the bottom (loop it up over the ends of your toes) to ensure no leakage from untrimmed nails :P Fold the top of the bag over and run tape around that and you can use suspenders, or more duct tape, or shoe laces, or a dog leash... or whatever to keep the top of the bag high on your chest.

of course when I was a kid we just went in and didnt worry about such things ;)

Cedars - a DIY mom

;) Roger that; if push comes to shove, I'm just goin' in buck naked. :D However, things look good for the waders. My buddy has 3 pair he got when they were left in a storage locker, and he'll part with 1 pair. I just tried them on, and they're a bit big in the boot, but never used. Wetland-Camo neo-prene! :confused:

On the depth of Lacamas Creek in the park, it appears to vary, but all looks at least knee or thigh deep. I haven't been able to satisfactorily ascertain the depth from the bank, ergo, I'm just goin' in. :)

As I commented in the Wildflowers social group, Claytonia sibirica is a new one for me. It's quite an attractive plant. :D

Back on this beauty again, I find it is also called Western Spring Beauty, and Candyflower. I brought home a stem with leaves & blooms in case the field photos weren't enough for identification, but now confident in the ID, and seeing as how it's listed as edible, I ate my sample. :P Delicious! Tastes like spinach. :hihi:

Back on this beauty again, I find it is also called Western Spring Beauty, and Candyflower. I brought home a stem with leaves & blooms in case the field photos weren't enough for identification, but now confident in the ID, and seeing as how it's listed as edible, I ate my sample. :lol: Delicious! Tastes like spinach. :turtle:

Awesome mate, waste not, want not. :)

Thanks for the species name correction. ;)

Turtle

and seeing as how it's listed as edible' date=' I ate my sample. Delicious! Tastes like spinach. [/quote']

No plant is safe from The Masked Turtle :mad:

Be careful in that there creek we don't want are favorite Turtle to get bogged down. :)

No plant is safe from The Masked Turtle :hihi:

Be careful in that there creek we don't want are favorite Turtle to get bogged down. :eek:

Speaking of eatables in Lechtenberg, the Camas growing in the old field West of the park is now blooming. I may try eating some, but apparently the bulbs are best when they're not blooming, and they take long roasting to turn the starches to sugars. I'm not sure, but this may be the 'root' that Lewis & Clark and company got in trade from the Natives and which gave them 'terrible gas'. :eek: :hyper:

The kids got a little worried about me traipsing off alone lately and they got me a cell phone a couple weeks ago; now if I go down I can call for help or at least they can get a fix on my corpse. :mad:

I have got the waders now; turns out they are some kind of factory second. That's good for getting a low price, but I hope the crotch doesn't leak. :help: :doh:

I forgot to mention that all the trees & shrubs are budding and the forest veritably assaults the eye with verdancy. :tree: :)

Turtle

I'm not sure' date=' but this may be the 'root' that Lewis & Clark and company got in trade from the Natives and which gave them 'terrible gas' [/quote']

:tree: Oh no! not a jet powered Turtle. :mad: :hyper:

Turtle

The kids got a little worried about me traipsing off alone lately and they got me a cell phone a couple weeks ago; now if I go down I can call for help or at least they can get a fix on my corpse.

Well they are not the only ones to worry, you are our favorite Turtle and we want you safe.

PS. keep that phone in a Zip-lock bag so it won't get wet, :) (just in case you do.) :help:

:jab: Oh no! not a jet powered Turtle. :mad: :eek:

Well they are not the only ones to worry, you are our favorite Turtle and we want you safe.

PS. keep that phone in a Zip-lock bag so it won't get wet, :) (just in case you do.) :eek:

:D Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. :tree: :hyper:

Good tip on the ziplock for the phone; will do. I did however have the forsight to tie a lanyard to it. All I need now is a pot for a hat and I'll look like my cousin Johnny. :hihi:

Looking at the waders, I got the idea to put little pieces of tape at 1 foot intervals measured from the boot bottom, and then I can just look down at anytime and measure the depth of the water I'm wading in. :doh: I think I can get Racoon to come along at least once this year, and that always gets more done. :jab: Things are a little behind in the forest, but it's gonna start Springing fast & hard soon me thinks. ...................:help:

PS Almost forgot this great link I found while hunting my web; tastes like frog. >> County List of Rare Plants from the Washington Natural Heritage Program

Sorry old Friend, I didn't mean to offend if I did. I keep forgetting my younger days when I used to run in them there hills, you have hard bottom creeks, but here in Florida if your not standing on a sand bar your standing in Muck,

Most muck is 2" to 18" but as a Surveyor I have had to do Muck probes (find the depth of muck) and I have on record, 16 feet deep Much with 2.5 feet water on top of that, one of my co workers thought it was a good idea to weir a pair of waders, well he stepped off the root ball (giant mat of floating grasses) and the muck sucked him up to chest the waders filed up with water and it sucked him down even further, I saw him take the wrong step and knew he was in trouble I just managed to grab his hand as he slipped under the water, I pulled as hard as I could as I was pulling on him his waders were filling up with water and sinking and the shoulder straps were pulling him down he grabbed the knife on his side and cut the straps, and not a minute to soon, I was about to loose my grip. needless to say we took a very long break after that.

sorry didn't mean to run on like that.

Har. Har. Har that reminds me of the time that ........ Ooh sorry! am I doing it again. :thumbs_up

What's in that muck anyway?

Northpinellas: What's in that muck anyway?

Sorry old Friend, I didn't mean to offend if I did. I keep forgetting my younger days when I used to run in them there hills, you have hard bottom creeks, but here in Florida if your not standing on a sand bar your standing in Muck, ...

None at all; offense taken that is. :( So that I don't forget those days, I keep repeating them. :) Unfortunately, only my mind is child-like, and my body is hella pissed right now. :lol: Pretty much spent the day in bed with the heating pad on my back. ;) This too will pass. :shrug:

Lacamas creek has some mucky areas, as Racoon may attest regarding his own muddy plunge of a leg on one of our expeditions. :D

sorry didn't mean to run on like that.

Har. Har. Har that reminds me of the time that ........ Ooh sorry! am I doing it again. ;)

By all means, do run on like that. :naughty: Speaking of which, what most everyone stuck in mud or 'quicksand' doesn't want to do but should do, is fall on their face & swim. Head up crawl stroke of course. :doh:

Gotta run......................:eek2: