Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

I thought the "non-native" call was assigned to the holly you found in the homestead area (per linked post above). I don't recall ever having a discussion about whether the hawthorne was native or not, nor do I recall ever getting past the genus level on that one. :cheer:

But kudos on getting some guides and nailing down the species. :)

Hawthornes are supposedly very good for you heart. I had a friend that would soak a bunch of them in vodka for several months and then drink the vodka (after filtering). I never tried it, but it sounds fun. :)

Yeah; I can't find anywhere we explicity called the Hawthorn non-native, but I implied as much in referring to find it coincident with the homestead. Somewhow I had it in my mind it was conclusive when I ran across it again on the last trip, but on the West side of the creek. Next trip I'll see if I can find some Black Hawthorn fruit to bring back & try.

Most definitely on the Holly being non-native.

Did you do any reading in the historical document? :read: >> Papers - Google Book Search

Yeah; I haven't got to it yet either. :D :phones:

I browsed it [old document], and did a search for "Lechtenberg" with no luck. :phones:

I might try reading it the next time I have insomnia. :evil:

My searches have also come up null. I'll keep looking because I have noticed things are always found in the last place I look.

On to the part we like. I think I have ID'd the plant scanned below as Self-heal - Prunella vulgaris. While my new guide says coastal natives used it variously, an online source has it as an European import. Nonetheless, a wildflower now of Washington State. Whatcha think? :evil:

Prunella vulgaris

My searches have also come up null. I'll keep looking because I have noticed things are always found in the last place I look.

On to the part we like. I think I have ID'd the plant scanned below as Self-heal - Prunella vulgaris. While my new guide says coastal natives used it variously, an online source has it as an European import. Nonetheless, a wildflower now of Washington State. Whatcha think? :phones:

Prunella vulgaris

I'd say so. :evil:

http://hypography.com/forums/environmental-studies/11272-environmental-study-lechtenberg-park-10.html#post180955

Ahem...I throw myself on your merciful plant-loving beneficence. I'll edit the image title post-haste.

On an operational note I was thinking of making/dedicating a single post to just a listing of ID'd species and adding to it with edits as we come on them. Thoughts? This is not our Mothers' Environmental Study, by which I mean the internet and all that goes with it in regard to publishing. No corrections or additions to miss the printer here in our webby virtual world. There are no rules yet so we need to write them, no precedents so we must set them.

Index post? yes/no If yes, appended to first post for uniformity? :evil:

My new Washington field guides contain historical asides, many referring to Lewis & Clark or David Douglas. From what I already gather, Douglas didn't care so much for the cataloging & naming business post-expedition as he did to be out and a peripatetic. Well, let's get on with it then at my natural pace. :phones:

Ahem...I throw myself on your merciful plant-loving beneficence. I'll edit the image title post-haste.

You had it right...Prunella vulgaris. I was merely concurring. :QuestionM

On an operational note I was thinking of making/dedicating a single post to just a listing of ID'd species and adding to it with edits as we come on them. Thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea to me. We could create a virtual plant catalog of peer-reviewed plant ID's. It could become a great resource even for those outside of Hypo.

:(

You had it right...Prunella vulgaris. I was merely concurring. :)

Roger. I meant to chastise myself for not following up on your original ID and adding it to the image title. I still had "plant 003" on it. :doh::hyper:

That sounds like a great idea to me. We could create a virtual plant catalog of peer-reviewed plant ID's. It could become a great resource even for those outside of Hypo.

:thumbs_up

Very much inline with my thinking. I intentionally put "None" in the image copyright section for my wildlife shots and scans so that anyone can freely use them. So many of the sites with ID photos make a big fuss over the copyright and kick knowledge to the curb in the bargain. :eek: I'll get started indexing...at a turtle's pace of course. ;) :turtle:

Very much inline with my thinking. I intentionally put "None" in the image copyright section for my wildlife shots and scans so that anyone can freely use them. So many of the sites with ID photos make a big fuss over the copyright and kick knowledge to the curb in the bargain. :turtle: I'll get started indexing...at a turtle's pace of course. :eek: :thumbs_up

I agree about the photo copyrights. I don't know why people get so anal about them. Especially if they are not professional photographers.

I would recommend that you put "Public Domain" in the copyright field so people know for sure that they can use them freely. :hyper:

I've got a slew of public domain photo sites saved at home. I can send them to you if you like.

Very much inline with my thinking. I intentionally put "None" in the image copyright section for my wildlife shots and scans so that anyone can freely use them. So many of the sites with ID photos make a big fuss over the copyright and kick knowledge to the curb in the bargain. :thumbs_up

I would recommend that you put "Public Domain" in the copyright field so people know for sure that they can use them freely.

If you dont put some kind of copyright on it, someone else might. I never gave it a thought until ... probably about 7 years ago, someone who frequented an online site that I did, had lost copyrights to photos they had put online and someone else copyrighted them and made money off the photos, even going as far as asking the person to remove them from their personal website.

As freeztar suggests, look into putting one of the GPU (?) licensing on them, look it up in Wiki for more detail. That prevents someone from pulling the stunt listed above.

I never did find out how the above example resolved, in that when I heard about it, the people were just begining to search about for how to resolve it.

Added:

Oh, and alot of people will let you use their stuff if you ask. Some might want you to put up a link back to their site as a condition. More linked sites help push their page up in search engines. I have had really good luck asking people about using their stuff, and for my own stuff, I like to know how many people appreciate the content, and what sparks the most interest, and how the content is being used (website, background, educational, personal collection, etc).

If you dont put some kind of copyright on it, someone else might. I never gave it a thought until ... probably about 7 years ago, someone who frequented an online site that I did, had lost copyrights to photos they had put online and someone else copyrighted them and made money off the photos, even going as far as asking the person to remove them from their personal website.

As freeztar suggests, look into putting one of the GPU (?) licensing on them, look it up in Wiki for more detail. That prevents someone from pulling the stunt listed above.

I never did find out how the above example resolved, in that when I heard about it, the people were just begining to search about for how to resolve it.

It is a dilemma. I once had a contract with a stock photo agency and it took me years to get my slides back when I asked for them. They never acknowledged using any of them, but it wouldn't surprise me someday to see one of my photos in a magazine. :turtle:

Under the law, original work of any kind is automatically copyright. Add 2 cents or 17 years and all bets are off from there. As usual, my approach is not the usual approach. A curse of itching on any and all who use my works for profit. :hyper:

Now it is a perfect timing as I have been off reading a generally very dry legal document that I linked above, and recently made available by GoogleBooks as copyright free. Papers - Google Book Search

I have found the first sort of juicy bit of the kind I hoped for in all that dust and here it is. It is an 1844 listing from Hudsons Bay Company of the animals killed in my region along with the going rate for their furs and all nicely totaled for the year. Astounding. :eek: :thumbs_up

As a follow up on copyright:

In the wildlife tracks thread, I had posted an Oil Beetle. My oil beetle pic was the first image submitted for Wisconsin. The pics are on the site as a part of the oil beetle collection, copied from the Request ID section.

Genus Meloe - Oil Beetles - BugGuide.Net

So anyways, they use the pics but I retain copyright (they also give you the option of Public domain or copyright when you submit).

Heres part of their notice:

Contributors own the copyright to and are solely responsible for contributed content.

Click the contributor's name for licensing and usage information.

Everything else copyright © 2003-2007 Iowa State University, unless otherwise noted.

It assures people that should they contribute, they wont lose copyright. It does increase the amount of data submitted to such sites. The Wisconsinbutterflies.org site respects copyright as does butterfliesandmoths.org.

I sure had a blast this last summer submitting data to these places, and the copyright protection allowed me to do this confidently.

One last bit on the copyright business; it is all only as good as you can afford to protect.

I have started the index in post #1. I went with alphabetic listings by common names. Before I go too far with it, what do you folks think about the organization etcetera? I plan to add an entry to each species that relates it to the posts where it is discussed.

I must say, seeing things all together is rather insightful. Thanks for your helps! :( :lol:

Proposed ID's for collected specimens(sorry if again I missed earlier ID's from contributors on these; in any regard, the image titles have no ID yet for these.): :lol:

*Yarrow - Achillea millefolium

Buttercup of one of these two choices: (I'm leaning to Western Buttercup.)

* Western Buttercup - Ranunculus occidentalis

*Straight-beaked Buttercup - Ranunculus orthorhynchus

One last bit on the copyright business; it is all only as good as you can afford to protect.

I have started the index in post #1. I went with alphabetic listings by common names. Before I go too far with it, what do you folks think about the organization etcetera? I plan to add an entry to each species that relates it to the posts where it is discussed.

I must say, seeing things all together is rather insightful. Thanks for your helps! :( :lol:

Very cool! It looks nice.

A few notes:

• I would change vegetables>vegetation
  • I don't remember the vine maple discovery, which post was that
  • We really need to bulk up that minerals section :camera:
  • It might also be neat to have a "found items" list as well (relics of a homestead, blow-up doll, etc.)
  • It also might be nice to have it in a list format such as this (purely cosmetics though)

Kudos, and keep it up! :turtle: