Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

Having just come out of a 100 year storm (the second in just 11 years! :santa3:), I drove by the park to have a look day-before-yesterday. While the creek is full, it is not overtopping the culvert or road & I saw no evidence it had. The park itself hower is virtually all under water with depths 3 to 5 feet from what I could see from the road. I suspect this is too much for even the new beaver(s) and that it/they either fled or drowned. As I see evidence that the park floods regularly, this may account for no long term occupation by the flat tailed dammers. Here's some news on thw rains & flooding to wrap this up. :applause: >>

Floodwaters linger in Washington, Oregon - Weather - MSNBC.com

Having just come out of a 100 year storm (the second in just 11 years! :eek:), I drove by the park to have a look day-before-yesterday. While the creek is full, it is not overtopping the culvert or road & I saw no evidence it had. The park itself hower is virtually all under water with depths 3 to 5 feet from what I could see from the road. I suspect this is too much for even the new beaver(s) and that it/they either fled or drowned. As I see evidence that the park floods regularly, this may account for no long term occupation by the flat tailed dammers. Here's some news on thw rains & flooding to wrap this up. :lol: >>

Floodwaters linger in Washington, Oregon - Weather - MSNBC.com

I thought it would NEVER stop raining! :ohdear::hihi:

Bring your galoshes! ;)

• 1 month later...
I thought it would NEVER stop raining! :ohdear::doh:

Bring your galoshes! ;)

Almost 2 months since your post Racoon San, and it hasn't really stopped yet. :weather_rain: I had to go out on errands today and took the chance to drive by the park. :steering: Nearly the entire 40 acres is still under 3 or more feet of water as best I can see. :eek:

Much of our recent precipitation in higher elevations came as snow, and now with the next storm, a mild pocket is forecast to move in with it which may melt the snow and cause flooding. Forget the galoshes! We need a boat! :eek: So it goes. :turtle:

Almost 2 months since your post Racoon San, and it hasn't really stopped yet.

Wow, that sounds like the PNW or something. :turtle:

Nearly the entire 40 acres is still under 3 or more feet of water as best I can see. :ohdear:

Woohoo! :doh::steering:

The floodplains of Lacamas are getting some use!

Much of our recent precipitation in higher elevations came as snow, and now with the next storm, a mild pocket is forecast to move in with it which may melt the snow and cause flooding. Forget the galoshes! We need a boat! :eek: So it goes. :weather_rain:

Hmmm... makes me wonder...

Does your survival cart float Turtle?

I seem to remember you saying it did. If so, you could just float down to Tillamook and grab yourself a bite of cheese while waiting for the deluge to subside. :eek:

Well I just found this thread and I must say fine job what a good read fine pics and excellent information (PS I really like the added list to post #1).

So has the water gone down yet or is it still raining?

have you got an id on those srooms and did the beavers leave/drown.

what a good thread, good work!

Well I just found this thread and I must say fine job what a good read fine pics and excellent information (PS I really like the added list to post #1).

So has the water gone down yet or is it still raining?

have you got an id on those srooms and did the beavers leave/drown.

what a good thread, good work!

The water is still 3 to 5 feet deep in the park, and judging by the muddy conditions I found on my first visit last April, I expect it will remain flooded 'til Spring.

No ID on the mushroom, no. :phones:

As to the beaver, I only know it (they?) can't live in there with that much water. The dens I saw were about 4 feet lower than the mean forest floor, putting them now ~9 feet underwater.

Does your survival cart float Turtle?

Not even. :read:

Given my penchant for privacy, and the very public account I have given the park, I will not be returning. A web search of Lechtenberg Park gives this thread as the top result, and anyone caring to pursue activities there, now has a foundation to work from. Stay tuned for some new area to fall under my scrutiny. :) :D

Given my penchant for privacy, and the very public account I have given the park, I will not be returning. A web search of Lechtenberg Park gives this thread as the top result, and anyone caring to pursue activities there, now has a foundation to work from. Stay tuned for some new area to fall under my scrutiny. :doh: :grouphug:

Well that's a sad ending for the thread. ;)

I'm still quite certain that Usnea resides within LP. Perhaps *just one more* survey is prudent. Besides, this thread is an example of what keeps places like this from being sold and developed. If it is given appreciation, then it may possibly survive a lot longer.

Well that's a sad ending for the thread. :doh:

I'm still quite certain that Usnea resides within LP. Perhaps *just one more* survey is prudent. Besides, this thread is an example of what keeps places like this from being sold and developed. If it is given appreciation, then it may possibly survive a lot longer.

Well, every ending means a new beginning. I'll keep my eye open for Usnea as I press my explorations into the mountains. I would be surprised if the county sold the park, but they might someday develop it.

:grouphug:

• 2 months later...
Yes So sad,

I was hoping that you were going to find a rare fungi or fern that would save this land,

and I even have it saved on Google Earth as Turtles Pond, maybe you could wear a cape and do you're explorations as the masked Turtle. :eek_big:

Who told you about my cape!!?? :shrug: :eek: Anyway, what with the new wildflower Group and my inability to sit still, (plus the appeals to further explore), I went out to Lechtenberg today to have a look. On the way, I realized today is only 6 days short of the one year anniversary of my first visit.

So, the margins around the park still have some flooding in spots, but I tucked my pants in my boots & waded across to high ground. Winter has hung on here this Spring, and the Camas aren't blooming yet, but I did dig some up & bring them home to try & grow them.

Only 3 plants did I see blooming, and I have some editing to do still, but here is a couple shots of some white Trillium. The numbers in bloom were relatively few, but they are well spread throughout the forest floor. More later......:confused:

Only 3 plants did I see blooming, and I have some editing to do still, but here is a couple shots of some white Trillium. The numbers in bloom were relatively few, but they are well spread throughout the forest floor. More later......:confused:

Great shots Turtle! Trilly-ummmmsss....

Nice shots!

Thanks! I used my tripod & everything. :shrug: I just posted in the Wildflowers group (how do we join Racoon up in that?) and I only half an hour ago found these are a different trillium than I thought. I thought Western trillium - Trillium ovatum, but I found Sessile trillium - Trillium chloropetalum. :eek: :confused:

For every door that closes, a new one opens.:eek:

Or in the vulgar English, Spring has sprung. :hihi:

Next to come out of the darkroom, :eek: is White fawn lily -Erythronium oregonum. BRB ..............:cap: :eek_big:

Thanks! I used my tripod & everything. :cap: I just posted in the Wildflowers group (how do we join Racoon up in that?)

I invited him, back when I formed it. :shrug:

Anyone can go to "Social groups" under "User CP" and join any group.

and I only half an hour ago found these are a different trillium than I thought. I thought Western trillium - Trillium ovatum, but I found Sessile trillium - Trillium chloropetalum. :hihi: :turtle:

I posted a comment in the wildflower group.

Another plant we have 3 varieties of locally, is the Oregon-grape. Today at Lechtenberg, I photgraphed Tall Oregon-grape - Mahonia aquifolium. The shrub stood ~ 5 feet tall. :cap: :hihi:

I saw no tracks of any kind in the muds, and no fresh Beaver sign. The dam by the Doug Fir is breached significantly on one side, and they would never stand for that. If the Beaver left rather than died, they may return later in the season & have another go at it. For the sake of the big old trees, I hope not.

That's all I got from the den....................:turtle: