Science Forums

Another height problem

raju

The methods listed above (only some) like letting gravity make you longer. Even if this were to work would those bones not be weaker because there not at the height your body is set at during gene reshuffling. If they become weaker, disease like Osteoporosis might set in. I just think it's unnatural to try and force yourself to get bigger. I believe it might cause latter problems in later life.

Only if there were evidence from this type of advice would I consider anything of the like. It could be potentially dangerous and some might not work etc. At your age, you could just sprout up very quickly, wait until your 16-17 before making an informed decision, you may change your mind.:lol:

I agree that the gravity making you longer suggestion is not a good way to go about trying to make yourself taller. I'm not sure whether it would actually do any damage, like causing osteoporosis, as you are not actually stretching yourself to an extreme, its only gravity. There is no proof that this actually work anyway, so I agree with just letting nature take its course.

I'm sure you'll get taller raju. You'll probably be posting a message in a few years time telling us ur 6 foot or something! I know someone who's dad and mum are really short and he's 6 foot 3! So you can't always go by the genetics of ur family either. Also, I wouldn't suggest any drastic diets if u think your a bit overweight as thery're not good for you when ur still young. Aslong as you eat healthily most of the time and get some exercise then it doesn't matter if you've got the odd flabby bit here and there!

My arms are basically totally bone the top of my leg is really big if

u ask me

but my friend who has medium sized hands can get his hand

round my leg sooo

But i bike to cycle at about 10mph

do football or running daily so at this

rate i should be bk to my 5 stone 6 again

i used to be 5 stone 6 a few months ago lol

so u c why im worried

raju - my mother is only five feet tall. When she was in high school, there was a boy she knew who was shorter than her. All throughout high school he was less than five feet tall. Now he's almost six feet tall. He simply grew at a different time than most. I grew about a foot when I was 13-14, I know a guy who grew from 5'2" to 5'11" when he was 17. We all grow at different times, and it is not terribly unusual for men to continue to grow until they are in their early twenties.

raju - you're only 13, so you haven't hit your growth spurt yet. When I was 13 I was head and shoulders above almost all the boys in my class because girls hit their growth spurt earlier.

However, when I was 15 the boys all suddenly grew and by the time I finished school all the boys were pretty much taller than me. My brother turned 15 last year and gained some height very quickly.

So RELAX!! You'll probably be surprised what will happen in the next couple of years, but you just have to be *patient*. Let nature take its course and in the meantime stay healthy and do your best at school.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys i just wanted to ask you a few a things and some things might be embarassing but after all this is a science forum:

1. does mastrubation effect height? (this is the one that has been going on on my mind for ages!) because i do that a lot and im now 15, my height is about 156 cm and im the shortest guy among my friends.

2. what kind of vitamins do i need? if i dont like veggies should i just take supplements instead?

3. are stretching exercizes harmful to us?

4. I've been hearing about late bloomers and how they grow rapidly at the age of 15, 16 or 17. i'm already 15 and nothing has changed dramatically so far, i'm quite afraid that it won't happen to me. my dad was a late bloomer and he grew up at high school and im entering high school after the summer...

5. if i'm not a late bloomer, or not genetically tall (even though my parents, my uncles, my aunts and my grand parents aren't short) what have i got to do to? i know a friend of mine who's like really damn tall and his parents are so short. how could that happen? so do genetics even matter?

thanks!

accept yourself. you're a beautiful star shaped moon child, no matter how long.

Check this out man,

I'm 6'2", and I bump my head ALL the time, it SUCKS.

Also, my feet are all clownlike and I'm clumsy as hell.

Sat nam

Best advice there is.

I'm 5'7 (171cm) myself and married to a girl who's 160cm...perfect fit. :D

Edit: She's 160, not 169, just hit the wrong key. :hihi:

I used to feel short when I was younger. Now I'm 36 and don't care anymore. I'm happy with both my height and my body - I take care of it as much as I can by eating okay and getting regular exercise.

1. does mastrubation effect height?

No.

2. what kind of vitamins do i need? if i dont like veggies should i just take supplements instead?

For height I don't think you can take anything. Just exercise, work out, run, play soccer. :hihi:

No. But as with everything else, don't overdo it! :D

4. I've been hearing about late bloomers and how they grow rapidly at the age of 15, 16 or 17. i'm already 15 and nothing has changed dramatically so far, i'm quite afraid that it won't happen to me. my dad was a late bloomer and he grew up at high school and im entering high school after the summer...

I never bloomed. Always the little guy in class.

My best friend was my height. Then at 17 or 18 he scored another 20 centimeters and now is a tall fellow. We're still friends. :D

5. if i'm not a late bloomer, or not genetically tall (even though my parents, my uncles, my aunts and my grand parents aren't short) what have i got to do to? i know a friend of mine who's like really damn tall and his parents are so short. how could that happen? so do genetics even matter?

That's basically ALL genetics. Heritage goes across generations and the only way to find out how tall you'll get is to wait and see.

hey guys i just wanted to ask you a few a things and some things might be embarassing but after all this is a science forum:

1. does mastrubation effect height? (this is the one that has been going on on my mind for ages!) because i do that a lot and im now 15, my height is about 156 cm and im the shortest guy among my friends.

Er...probably not.

The vitamins and minerals found in normal, healthy foods. If you don't like veggies, eat more fruits. But it doesn't hurt to find veggies which you like and are good for you. Taking supplements could be a burden to your health or a health risk, because overdoses of some vitamins like vitamin A can be dangerous and cause liver or organ damage. Water-soluble vitamins like vitamin C tend to be flushed from the body through urine, so pose less of a threat, but overdoses of water-soluble vitamins could stress your kidneys. I've also read that what manufacturers list on the bottles does not necessarily correspond to the actual amounts of vitamins and minerals found in pills. The amounts could be higher or lower than listed. And some vitamins or minerals might not be absorbed properly, because they are not in "available" forms so that your body can use them quickly and efficiently. If your body can't use it or flushes it, it's a waste of money.

I also think energy drinks are useless or could be problematic to your health. I've noticed some energy drinks have megadoses of vitamins of like 200-1000% of the RDA. That seems abnormally high. Why anyone would need 1000% or more of certain vitamins everyday is beyond me. 1 person != 10 persons.

They shouldn't be as long as you do them in a slow, controlled manner and be gradual. Excellent for warming up or trying to achieve the greater flexibility required by certain activities like martial arts.

Wait and see. This is dependent on your genetics, health, and nutrition.

thanks!

Height is a complex interplay between genetics and nutrition. Generally, your genetics will allow you to grow to a certain height or maybe a certain range, and your nutrition allows you to express that potential. Good nutrition will encourage your body and its cells to carry out their genetic program to the fullest. As well, you should try to get lots of sleep and rest, so that your body can heal and grow. I've read that most growth happens while sleeping, because certain hormones like human growth hormone are released at night. Thus, I'd think more sleep = more regular growth.

• 2 weeks later...