I am 13 years old and 14 in like 3 weeks time

but im 4 foot 8ish 146cms and i was like 140cm when i was 11-12years old

I know i should not complain but my self-esteem is lowwwww

I hear height is not to do with inheritance only

but how your brought up aswell

My mums short( main reason) and my dads bout 5 foot 10-11ish

but my mum had a talll dad and her brothers like 5 11 and her blood cousin

is like 6 foot 4. My dads brothers are round 5 foot 9 to 6 footish

Even if i have all 3 of my growth spurts i hear the maxium in one spurt is 4 inches

and you have 3 spurts so 5 foot 8 isen't really that good

Please are there any ways i can help my height as it is very depressing and

makes my self-esteem low.:)

thanks in advance:)

Ok you may think im young to complain about this but it really bothers me

I am 13 years old and 14 in like 3 weeks time

but im 4 foot 8ish 146cms and i was like 140cm when i was 11-12years old

I know i should not complain but my self-esteem is lowwwww

I hear height is not to do with inheritance only

but how your brought up aswell

My mums short( main reason) and my dads bout 5 foot 10-11ish

but my mum had a talll dad and her brothers like 5 11 and her blood cousin

is like 6 foot 4. My dads brothers are round 5 foot 9 to 6 footish

Even if i have all 3 of my growth spurts i hear the maxium in one spurt is 4 inches

and you have 3 spurts so 5 foot 8 isen't really that good

Please are there any ways i can help my height as it is very depressing and

makes my self-esteem low.:)

thanks in advance:)

Hi! For a start, I wouldn't worry about your height since ur just 14 (almost) and loads of people don't shoot up til their mid teens. You can still grow up to the age of 21! Plus there's nothing wrong with being short! Still, if you want growing tips, I've heard that hanging upside down is supposed to help induce growth, since gravity is pulling you down. I have no idea if this is really true or actually works, but it sounds quite logical to me. :Exclamati

Officially, Tom Cruise is 5'7" (170cm) but rumor has it that he's 3-4" shorter than that when he takes off his elevator shoes and 4 pairs of socks. Girls melted over him even before he was rich.

Don't sweat it. We don't care.

Had enough PS2,

Buffy

since i have started year 9 i have grown a 1cm-2cms

but i hear a certain diet can effect your height aswell

and you can get a few inches quick

and your suppose to start growing 2-3 years after the start of puberty and its been like 2and a half years befor i started

I know i should give it time but i would seriously try anything

Im also underwight for my age which could be a problem

and i've heard you get some pains when you start a growth spurt?true or false

and my diet is quite meaty but i do eat my veg a lot and do good amounts of exercise

Virtually all of your height is due to your genes. You're not going to be able to eat something or take some drug to get tall. People grow at all different rates. I have a cousin who was 6 foot when he was 12 and stopped there. I have a friend whose brother grew a full foot at age 17.

As long as you're eating *healthy* then being "underweight" is not a problem. You have to be pretty malnourished for it to actually affect your growth.

Hormones will not help, and they are *dangerous*. Don't take them. If anything, they will only make you grow *sideways* and give you horrible acne.

Everyone has something they think is a "shortcoming" (excuse the intentional pun), and the *best* thing to do is to learn how to put it to your advantage.

Be self-unconscious,

Buffy

I would never take the growth pills

im not that stupid

well i want to be taller because well theres a point in everyones lives where

you just want something

in my case its height i guess

Theres no other problems i just seriously find my self left out

not in the socal way but.....its hard to explain

i just have an urge to grow and dont want to be stuck at

a really short height!

also if it helps my parents are orignally asian(bangladesh,india type)

so that could be a problem as my gym teacher said

i could have a slightly different body structure (sorry bout spelling)

Whats the little things i can do to improve my height ??

Hi Raju! Glad to hear that ur less bothered about ur height. We've all got something we'd like to change about ourselves, but it really doesn't matter. Dumbells are great for starting to tone up your arm muscles, aslong as you use lighter ones to start off with and give ur muscles a change to relax between using. (I find every other day is good.) Just don't overdo it with any heavy stuff or excess use cos ur muscles won't be able to cope and u'll end up damaging them. ;)

Yeah you guys are right i should't worry

what happens...happens

also any advice how i can slightly build some muscle without

damaging the natural process of how my body does it ?

If you know what i mean ;)

I don't suggest doing weightlifting at your age. Your bones are growing quickly and the epiphyseal plates, which allow your bones to lengthen, are not sealed. Your best bet might be to do some running (on soft surfaces like grass, dirt, or a rubber track, so you don't get shin splints or hurt your knees, hips, or back), calisthenics (push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc.), as well as safe sports, martial arts, or dancing, to encourage your coordination and range of motion and train your nerves and muscles to work even better than they would normally. Those are benefits that'll last your entire life. If you want to do weightlifting, wait until you're about 20ish, when your body is fully formed and grown, your bones are strong, and you know what you can and can't do.

Check this thread for some tips on exercise and why:

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/3341-lifting-weights-stunt-growth-2.html

Train for strength, flexibility, and endurance. Also, eat well (lots of fruits and veggies) and rest a lot if you exercise. You should probably try to give yourself 2-3 days between exercise sessions to allow your body to heal. Muscles need about 2 days to heal.

A little trick I use to help cut down on soreness after exercise is to drink some tea or dark grape juice or cranberry juice before exercising (about 15-30 minutes before). That can make it a lot more pleasurable to exercise, when you know that you can be healthy without hurting! Those have a lot of antioxidants in them, which help your body avoid damage and repair itself faster.

And I suggest visiting the Mayo Clinic website for tips on exercise:

Aerobic exercise: What 30 minutes a day can do - MayoClinic.com

I find it to be a great and easy-to-use resource.

Exercise has some other wonderful benefits, too. It helps promote a healthy mind and strong body which will help you recover quick from sickness. Find something that is enjoyable for you.

also can you tell me how much these exercises burn in calories

i eat about 1200-1500 calories a day

70% is burned threw excretion and funchoning ( soz bout vocab)your body

so i have to burn about 500 calories a day right ?

so how much will i burn doing this exercise(1 hour long)

Cycling about 8-12mph

sit ups

step ups

brisk walking

jogging

Thanks in advance you guys are helping me a lot

I would say it's kind of hard to know exactly how many calories you have to "spare" in a day. IIRC, kilocalorie values of food are determined by the heat released when they are burned and this is recorded in the lab. Your body won't burn and use *all* the energy present in food (i.e., fiber can't be fully digested).

I've read that running can burn about 200-400 kcal/hr depending on intensity. Cycling is less intense than running, so maybe less than 200. I'd say anywhere between 10-40 sit ups are pretty good and can be done in less than 5 minutes. Step ups, no idea, unfortunately. Brisk walking & jogging, don't know exactly, would probably be less than 200 kcal/hr.

It's hard to say exactly what the values are because it also depends on your muscle and body composition (more fast-twitch or slow-twitch muscles and genetics, some people are better at strength and others at endurance), weight, and the strength, speed, and intensity that you perform the exercise. Your muscles and body will also adapt and become more efficient. But I would say worry less about how many calories they burn and find what is enjoyable or convenient for you.

Also, you don't need to exercise for an hour unless you really like it. 15-30 minutes is excellent and provides enough time for good aerobic and cardiovascular exercise. Everything should be gradually worked up to, allowing your body time to adapt, so that you cut down risk and chances for injury or exhaustion.

I was always in the short half of kids growing up. My dad was the tallest person in the extended family at 5'5". My mom is 5'4". My junior year of high school I had an 11" growth spurt that brought me from 5'4" to 6'3", and I finished growing at 6'4". In pictures with my family I look like I was stolen from the circus. Don't worry about how tall you are or how tall you will be. Life is about attitude and posture.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

Bill