Science Forums

Pain.

Michaelangelica

A herbal remedy, Hyben Vital (stand. powder of a subspecies of Rosa canina fruits), reduces pain and improves general wellbeing in patients with osteoarthritis—a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trial

. . .

subtype of Rosa canina and recently reported to have anti-inflammatory properties, on the symptoms of osteoarthritis. One hundred and twelve patients with osteoarthritis were randomly allocated to treatment with either Hyben Vital 5 g daily or an identical placebo for 3 months, followed immediately by the alternative treatment. The patients assessed changes in joint pain and stiffness after each treatment period on a 5-point categorical scale. General wellbeing, including mood, sleep quality and energy were also assessed and recorded in a personal diary.

The results in the two arms of the crossover differed markedly. Group A (placebo first) showed significantly more improvement from Hyben Vital than from placebo, p<0.0078 for pain and <0.0025 for stiffness. But Group B (Hyben Vital first) revealed a positive effect of the same order as for Hyben Vital in group A, not only from the active drug, but also from placebo

. . .

The data indicate that Hyben Vital reduces the symptoms of osteoarthritis. We interpret the marked differences in the responses of the two groups as indicating a strong “carryover” effect of Hyben Vital.

ScienceDirect - Phytomedicine : A herbal remedy, Hyben Vital (stand. powder of a subspecies of Rosa canina fruits), reduces pain and improves general wellbeing in patients with osteoarthritis—a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised tria

How do you assess something as subjective as pain scientifically?

How come they didn't just use rose hips.?

How do you assess something as subjective as pain scientifically?

It is largely subjective measures and self-report, however, given a large enough population sample, that data can provide enormous insight.

This page lists several of the primary scales in use:

Pain scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you see the hips on that rose? Sweet jeebus, I'd like to smell her pedals. :)

Measurement of pain. [surg Clin North Am. 1999] - PubMed Result

Pain is a personal, subjective experience influenced by cultural learning, the meaning of the situation, attention, and other psychologic variables. Approaches to the measurement of pain include verbal and numeric self-rating scales, behavioral observation scales, and physiologic responses. The complex nature of the experience of pain suggests that measurements from these domains may not always show high concordance. Because pain is subjective, patients' self-reports provide the most valid measure of the experience. The VAS and the MPQ are probably the most frequently used self-rating instruments for the measurement of pain in clinical and research settings. The MPQ is designed to assess the multidimensional nature of pain experience and has been demonstrated to be a reliable, valid, and consistent measurement tool. A short-form MPQ is available for use in specific research settings when the time to obtain information from patients is limited and when more information than simply the intensity of pain is desired. The DDS was developed using sophisticated psychophysical techniques and was designed to measure separately the sensory and unpleasantness dimensions of pain. It has been shown to be a valid and reliable measurement of pain with ratio-scaling properties and has recently been used in a clinical setting. Behavioral approaches to the measurement of pain also provide valuable data. Further development and refinement of pain measurement techniques will lead to increasingly accurate tools with greater predictive powers.

Yes pain, pain and I have become old friends. If I wake up in the morning not in extreme pain I wonder if I am still alive. I have lived with chronic pain for more than 10 years now. Not much of anything doctors give me really works for long, I am nerve damages *****! I do have good days and I live for those. Bad days I just sit with tears running down my cheeks and wish for the good days. I know all to well how little the medical profession knows about pain and what to do about it. To be honest I cannot explain it my self, I do know that opiates are not the answer but they do help deflect the question if not used too much. When bad days start I am irritable and difficult with everyone, I hate myself then but I try to make up for it on good days. My family and my dogs love me all the time, everyone else avoids me most of the time. Nothing else to say, no answers but I do keep track of the questions.

• 6 months later...

Pentagon's New Painkiller: Ancient Chinese Medicine

Posted Dec 11, 08 1:00 PM CST in Science & Health, US

(Newser) – US Air Force doctors deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan next year will have a new medical weapon in their arsenal: acupuncture. Military physicians, pleased with the success of treating wounded troops at home, will begin teaching battlefield medics how to fight severe or chronic pain by inserting tiny needles under soldiers’ skin, the Baltimore Sun reports.

“This is one of the fastest pain attenuators in existence,”

Pentagon's New Painkiller: Ancient Chinese Medicine - US news | Newser

• 1 month later...

Body Makes Own Aspirin Compound

A study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry finds that humans can manufacture their own salicylic acid, the major part of aspirin. Another study, in Nature, shows that plants make their own salicylic acid at wound sites. Karen Hopkin reports
http://www.sciam.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=body-makes-own-aspirin-compound-09-01-08&sc=WR_20090113