Science Forums

Pain.

Michaelangelica

I think I'm immune to pain .. I feel sensation.. I would not describe it as pain though .. unless it was a pain in the ??? .. and then I might have to say its pleasure :shrug:

Pain is what your senses tell you .. My senses tell me its pleasure .. and rightly so.. for pain goes hand in hand with pleasure.. for they are opposites..

Ashley

I think I'm immune to pain

If so you would be dead

those who suffer from a rare disorder that leaves them unable to feel pain. The condition — called congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis, and also known as CIPA — affects nerve endings.

ABC News: Does Pain Serve a Purpose?

Ashlyn is among a tiny number of people in the world known to have congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis, or CIPA — a rare genetic disorder that makes her unable to feel pain.

“Some people would say that’s a good thing. But no, it’s not,”

Rare disease makes girl unable to feel pain - Kids & Parenting - MSNBC.com

Those few born unable to feel pain - the condition is known as congenital analgesia - die young from injuries they never felt, their bodies scarred from head to toe.

BBC - Radio 4 - Living with Pain

defect in a gene known as sodium channel N9A, or SCN9A, one of a family of 11 human genes whose protein products govern the initiation of signals that nerves send in the body. They open channels that let sodium ions rush across a nerve cell's membrane.

The SCN9A gene is active both in nerves that mediate pain and in those of the sympathetic nervous system, which controls vital bodily functions like heart rate.

Gene that governs the perception of pain is found - Health & Science - International Herald Tribune

Although the feeling or sensation that we call pain is usually uncomfortable and unpleasant, it is actually a great asset in many situations in general medicine, especially when we think of children and older people.

Were it not for a persistent complaint or expression of pain, family members or others might not realize that a small child or older person has suffered a significant injury or is ill. Indeed, at any age, the symptom of pain may be an important indication that a disease may be present.

For young children, the sensation of pain can also be a learning experience, teaching them to take extra care with such items as hot stoves or broken glass. All those situations in which injury, disease, or something of a physical nature has caused pain are universally understood without any disagreement

Is the Term "Pain Disorder" a Valid Diagnosis?

I think there is a slight distinction to be made.

My example will be the cold, I can take the cold. Last night I sat outside in a t-shirt and shorts while my friends all rugged up in jackets and beenies questioned "arent you cold?!" Well I can feel the cold, but it just doesnt bother me the same way.. same goes for pain - like Pyro said "master the input"

I've known true masochists. People for whom (most kinds) of pain was not a deterrent, and was quite enjoyable to them. It was rather...intense seeing the bruises on her body after she was with her boyfriend (not abusive bruises, more like really, really intense hickeys everywhere on her body).

I've learned some in this thread..

I'd make a conclusions that pain is one thing, how one expresses it is another.

Does one express pain alone differently that in public?

Is all expressions of just an imprinted programmed reaction, or natural response?

Some say ow and cry because everyone pays the utmost attention to them. Some say errr and try to ignore it because everyone might think they are tough.

Some literally just experience it so often, that when an injury occurs they just choose to not respond. (often done this alot at work)

Expression..Impression..

• 4 weeks later...

"Yet scientists know very little about how pain works.

...arthritis ... back pain ... migraines ... A Gallup Poll

done in 2000 found that 80 percent of American believe pain

is part of getting old... More than a quarter of them

figured there is no solution to their pain..."

"Pain is complex and defies our ability to establish a clear

definition," Weiner says. "Pain is far more than neural

transmission and sensory transduction. Pain is a complex

mixture of emotions, culture, experience, spirit and

sensation."

"Chronic pain is long-term, continuous and far more

frustrating. It can result from physical injury, viral

infections of the nerve, or arthritic damage to joints and

degeneration of bones, Lawson writes."

The pain that you are refering to is called 'mysterious' pain

in ancient Yoga texts. It can not be defined by modern science

or medicine. I have published a paper on Vedic cure for

Rheumatism in Express Star Teller (India), June 2006.

Rheumatism usually affects old persons. But there are cases that some

youths also are affected by rheumatism. The allopathy medicine has no

cure for it. Traditional Indian methods like Ayurveda, Yoga and

Naturopathy are capable of giving some relief but not a high degree of

cure. Rheumatism is caused by static electricity in the body.

Modern science knows that the brain and the spine carry electrical

signals. These are signals of Asani in Sanskrit science terminology.

These signals are affected by static electricity, the Sani. Modern

science also knows that the lower parts of the body has static

electricity. The voltage of this static electricity is particularly

serious in explosives factories and the like. Some explosives may get

triggered due to the high voltage of the static electricity in human

bodies. Hence, workers in an explosives factory are provided with

special boots which have a strong metal strip that short circuits

the static electricity voltages between the knees and the lower part of

the heels. However, it is only a temporary method.

When the static electricity of the lower parts ascends up through the

spine, deterioration of the distribution of electrical signals occur

throughout the brain-spine system. This does not occur all of a sudden

(except in cases of witchcraft). The voltage of static electricity

increases with every year of passing after the age 20 years.

In my paper, I have given scientific methods to reduce the static

electricity in the body. To give you an example case history, I have

treated a person with an M.D. degree in Medicine who was

suffering from rheumatism for 10 years since his age of 35. He knew that

medicines of his knowledge can not give him cure. He tried other

methods, but without success. He was using a car because he found it

difficult to walk even for 10 minutes for his normal activities. His

natal chart indicated that he is suffering from low-level seriousness of

rheumatism. Accordingly, the first three exercises were prescribed. He

was able to walk for 10 minutes after one week of doing the exercises.

He was relieved from 90 percent of his suffering after one month of

doing the exercises.

Those who are interested to know more can write to me providing

their email addresses. I will send a copy of my paper and give

suggestions. I will not accept any money.

Dr. V. Siva Prasad

Retired Professor of Engineering

Andhra University, India

[email protected]

...Does one express pain alone differently that in public?...Expression..Impression..

Last summer (July 28, 06) I finally had shoulder surgery to reconstruct my torn rotater cuff. The pain was bad enough that I was losing sleep. I am now in my ninth month of therapy and recovery. The surgery was successful. The therapy has been quite painful. And now I can move my left arm in all directions, and have regained most of my strength, and...

my shoulder hurts so much that I am losing sleep. It's fine when I'm just sitting around, or typing, or watching TV. But when I reach for that bag of frozen peas, or that skillet, or that book on a high shelf---GODFREY DANIEL, SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!!!

I have trained myself to use the arm normally, despite the pain. The doctor says that no injury is occurring, the arm is fine, and eventually the pain will go away. In the meantime, I neither cry nor grunt. I am training myself to acknowledge the pain internally, but give no outward sign of it. Every time I move through the pain, I count it as some kind of victory.

But it still hurts and I wish it would stop. "Master the input" my sweet ***!!! Pass the Tylenol.

So does being immune to pain .. constitute being dead.. ?? :eek: .

Ashley

Yep; few survive more than a few years without a pain reaction.

---------------

If I was a cronic pain sufferer i doubt if I would see any "art' in it

BUT

Berlin Exhibition Explores Art and Science of Pain | Culture & Lifestyle | Deutsche Welle | 14.04.2007

Berlin Exhibition Explores Art and Science of Pain

Schmerz

Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Pain comes in many forms at Berlin's Medical Historical Museum

A new exhibition in Berlin aims to explore the many facets of human pain. The challenge lies in demonstrating a subject that is neither tangible nor visible. Curators in Berlin designed “Pain” as a twofold experience.

At the entrance to the Hanburger Bahnhof, a former train station that houses Berlin’s national gallery of contemporary art, the first exhibit that catches the eye is a subtle hint of things to come.

---------

Snake Oil or Hope?

TWINS ACE MAKES PITCH FOR PAIN RELIEVER

Pioneer Press

Article Launched: 04/14/2007 12:01:00 AM CDT

Johan Santana will be pitching today for a made-in-Minnesota pain relief product that dates back to 1868.

Santana, the Twins' All-Star pitcher, will appear at the Metrodome for an ad campaign photo shoot and news conference in support of J.R. Watkins Apothecary Red Liniment. The medicated liquid, which is rubbed on the skin to relieve muscle and joint pain, was the first-ever product sold by Winona-based Watkins.

With about 250 employees in Minnesota, Watkins manufactures about 20 over-the counter remedies. The company also sells body oils, foot creams and gourme

TwinCities.com - TWINS ACE MAKES PITCH FOR PAIN RELIEVER

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
So does being immune to pain .. constitute being dead.. ?? :hihi:

I'ma look into this a bit more and be right back ..

Ashley

Yep

It is very hard to stay alive without pain.

orbsycli Where is he I miss him?

Strong pain relief minus the addiction

Morphine is an effective painkiller with a dark side. Its level of addiction is comparable to that of heroin and yet it is still the most used painkiller on our public hospitals and is also present in some over-the-counter painkillers, such as codeine.

Morphine was used during the American Civil War as an anaesthetic and was given to wounded soldiers to take home as a treatment for pain. Although it helped during the campaign, at the end of the war 400,000 people had the "disease of the army", better known as morphine addiction.

Despite morphine not being used as liberally as it was 200 years ago, there are still many people in the world presently classified as morphine addicted.

Velocity

• 1 month later...

History tells us that the bark of Salix Alba ( white willow?) has been used to relieve pain and reduce fever for over 2,000 years.

The Willow encompasses more than three hundred species. The White Willow is a low-growing deciduous tree that is native to Europe and northern Asia and naturalized in North America. It grows in damp, low places, especially along riverbanks, and thrives in moist-to-wet, heavy soil in sun, rising to a height of eighty feet.

Buzzing Bee: Basics On Willow Bark

also

Green Valley News & Sun - Columns > Columns > Your Health: Herbal extract may provide effective alternative to aspirin

Often said to be the source of inspiration for the first 20C drug- aspirin.

I think however it was more likely to have been meadowsweet.

These days aspirin is being re-discovered and used for a number of new complains. Some even say it may be a sort of necessary "vitamin".

Old-time gardeners used to promote the rooting of cuttings by putting a few willow branches/twigs in water overnight with the cuttings they had made of other plants. The Aussies on the list will appreciate it when I say it promoted rooting.

I haven't had a good look at this site any feedback please?

Pain Management Information Home Page

Some "arthritis"remedies

Natural Remedies for Treating Arthritis

Unfortunately "arthritis" is a very global term like having a "cold".

When we split up the symptoms /diagnosis a bit more we might be able to zero in on which old-time remedies work best.