Science Forums

Coffee -- How?

Pyrotex

In what FORM do you most often drink coffee?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. In what FORM do you most often drink coffee?

• Black, unsweetened
    • Black, sweet
    • With milk (cream), unsweetened
    • With milk (cream), sweet
    • Espresso, unsweetened, black
    • Espresso, unsweetened, with milk (cream)
    • Espresso, sweet, black
    • Espresso, sweet, with milk(cream)

my psychiatrist just told me to stop drinking coffee.i cant believe it:doh:

I can.

I went thru a phase about a month ago where I drank coffee every day.

Orbsycli never drinks coffee. I just wanted to study how it affected me.

After about a week, I was absolutely insane. I was shaking, jittering with my voice, constantly wanting to explode. I was filled with this annoying intensity and I couldn't chill out. And I'm alll about chillin'.

When I drink it, I like it strong, I like some soy milk, and yeah I don't drink this crazy substance anymore.

I never used to drink coffee. I rarely had much caffeine at all (no soda, not much chocolate, only a chai tea drink once a week). Then I had my previous job, where there was green mountain coffee in the kitchen. I liked that stuff, and occasionally ended up drinking more than I should have...I'd have up to five cups in two hours - my hands would end up shaking, and I wouldn't be able to feel calm.

I drink coffee black because my parents did. And my Mom refused to put cream and sugar on the breakfast table just for me. I drink about 4 cups a day, and I love it.

However... I went to the Netherlands back in 97 and discovered European coffee in those little half-cups. GOD!! was that ever delicious stuff!! Like a combination of coffee, chocolate, silk and sex. And one cup kept me pleasantly "wired" for about six hours.

American coffee tastes like rancid stump-water.

• 1 month later...

...However...

Since Christmas, I have been using the christmas present my beloved wife got me. A French Press.

No, it has nothing to do with sex.

You put ground coffee in the glass, and pour in boiling water.

Then cap it with the lid.

After two minutes, push the plunger down, which forces all the grounds to the bottom.

Pour coffee and drink.

Even with American brands of coffee, this makes a decent cup of coffee!!

Except for Folgers and Maxwell House. Those aren't "real coffee". Those are made from ground up army boots left over from World War I.

PS: Of course, Tormod, you probably think the French Press is just a "drug delivery system", right?!?!

:D :hyper: :turtle: :eek: :D

Except for Folgers and Maxwell House. Those aren't "real coffee". Those are made from ground up army boots left over from World War I.

There's no hope for Folger's and Maxwell House. IIRC, those are made from robusta beans (bitter/sour taste, high caffeine, cheap), not real arabica (smooth, full-flavored, lower caffeine). I don't like instant coffee now. I think I've become an addict since my exposure to Italian coffee.

I prepare my espressos with an Italian Bialetti moka pot (technically, it's a percolator, though not your usual kind). ( Moka Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) It makes strong, black as sin, flavorful, silky, smooth coffee. And I add just a little white sugar to taste. I'm using Melitta Brazilian coffee, because it's cheaper than my really favorite Colombian but similar in taste. Brazilian coffee has a subtle chocolatey taste and smell to it. Prepared the Italian way every day, as taught to me by my friend from Italy. Two shots give me all I need for 4-5 hours, then I have a few more to keep my mind going while I study or work. There really is no hope for me. I am in love with this kind of coffee.

There really is no hope for me. I am in love with this kind of coffee.
It could be worse. Here's an article about a friend of mine in the SF Chronicle from a couple of years ago about folks who not only brew at home, they *roast their own beans*.... I've had his coffee and it is like a little drink of heaven....

BTW Pyro, Eric *insists* on using a French Press for these heavenly beans....me, I go through espresso machines like my car goes through oil filters...

Espresso myself,

Buffy

me, I go through espresso machines like my car goes through oil filters...

I used to have an espresso machine. It made lovely, lovely espresso, though I have had better. But it was a brazzle-fraggle to clean up. Such a hassle. The French Press is debatably more user friendly.

But there is no substitute for good espresso.

That's the way GOD drinks coffee.

It could be worse. Here's an article about a friend of mine in the SF Chronicle from a couple of years ago about folks who not only brew at home, they *roast their own beans*.... I've had his coffee and it is like a little drink of heaven....

BTW Pyro, Eric *insists* on using a French Press for these heavenly beans....me, I go through espresso machines like my car goes through oil filters...

Espresso myself,

Buffy

I take back my statement. Me? I'm just a small fish compared to them. That is a great article. I have it bookmarked now. Buffy, you send 'em like regulars to electronic heaven all in your pursuit of a good cuppa. :hihi:

I like the ease of the moka pot. Open up, dump out spent grounds (to use for fertilizer in my terra preta pots or for soil mixes), wash parts with water, and air dry until next use. Easy keeper for a lazy 'un like me.

Can't argue with its speed in brewing, either. 2-3 minutes after the moka pot's on the stove, I have frothy, steamy "devil's brew" or "contraband" as I commonly call it. I have code names for my coffee to keep the neighbors or my brother's friends clueless, when they visit, because they always seem to call on me or the family when I'm making it.

French Press? Using one o' those, you can get those French Letters out by the thousands!

Over here we just call it a 'plunger'. And they work fantastic.

Now I have to 'fess up:

I've been a coffee lover all my life, and I love good coffee... LOTS of it. But I cannot recall ever having been on a 'buzz' from caffeine.

I prefer filter coffee, black, one sugar. None of this 'latte' crap, just pure, good, strong coffee the way it was intended to be. By the bucketful.

Maybe I've never noticed a caffeine buzz coz I've never recovered from the last one...?

French Press? Using one o' those, you can get those French Letters out by the thousands!

Over here we just call it a 'plunger'. And they work fantastic.

Now I have to 'fess up:

I've been a coffee lover all my life, and I love good coffee... LOTS of it. But I cannot recall ever having been on a 'buzz' from caffeine.

I prefer filter coffee, black, one sugar. None of this 'latte' crap, just pure, good, strong coffee the way it was intended to be. By the bucketful.

Maybe I've never noticed a caffeine buzz coz I've never recovered from the last one...?

It takes about 2 cups of moka for me to feel my mind start to speed up. With instant coffee, I can get a strong buzz, but it wears off quickly and leaves me feeling terrible, wasted, or with a headache. I don't get that when I drink moka espresso.

I switched back to Colombian coffee today. Sweet, sweet heaven. One thing I've noticed is that the Colombian is more oily than the Brazilian I drink. I wonder if this contributes much to the difference in taste.