Science Forums

Our third leg

Taraxanoid

There was once an ancient human civilisation that were tripod-esque in form. These people featured two strong hind legs and a back leg that extended out from the end of the tail bone. In actuality, this 'third leg' was actually a thick tail in which would act as a form of balancing structure in tripedal gait. After humans began bipedal walking when we were more monkey than man, we soon found it impossibly difficult to not use our tails as additional balance. But our legs were too long for our tails so the tails were thickened and additionally ligamented over time, creating a pseudo third leg. Walking with three legs became far too problematic once we became more competent in our balance without the third leg that the tail diminished in size and eventually became obsolete enough to disappear completely, leaving only a remnant of a tail bone in which we see today in our stage's bodies.

Our closest relatives are apes. Apes and monkeys have branched off from their common ancestor millions of years before humans and chimps branched off from their common ancestor. Monkeys have tails; no ape anywhere has a tail. We are, in effect, simply members of the Great Apes, and have shed our tails long before becoming human.

But you are right, of course. Our ancestors from long ago did, indeed, have tails. But that was millions of years ago. If you don't see that as an issue, we can go even further back to a time when we had gills and scales!

Taking a closer look at monkeys, you'll see that their tails are used for balance in trees. The New World monkeys have actually started using their tails as extra limbs, using them to grip branches and even swing from them, as if they had three arms. But nowhere has a monkey been observed to use his tail as a third leg. A third arm, more likely.

Humans have appeared on the scene in East Africa a few million years ago. Being apes, they were tailless. But forget about the ape/monkey difference, and lets say they had tails: No Old World monkey anywhere have ever swung from a branch by its tail. They can't; it's an exclusive New World invention. Which means that Old World monkeys' tails are there purely for balance, and nothing else. They also haven't been observed to use them for walking.

I have been called 'Tripod' on occasion, but it has nothing to do with my tailbone, as far as I can gather... :)
I knew someone was going to say that. This wouldn't be the internet if no one had ;)

Form must be followed, and Taraxanoid given a chance to respond, but unless he’s privy to some stupendous data the rest of us are not, I believe this thread is headed for strange claims.

I think he's just sayin' we're related to Kangaroos...which we are...sorta...

Kangaroos have a very sophisticated culture, they're just so mean they won't let us join their clique. I'm sure Jay-qu can tell you all about what snobs they are, dissing the brand of beer you drink and calling you a "Vegemite-licking yobbo."

Hooroo,

Buffy

I think he's just sayin' we're related to Kangaroos...which we are...sorta...

Kangaroos have a very sophisticated culture, they're just so mean they won't let us join their clique. I'm sure Jay-qu can tell you all about what snobs they are, dissing the brand of beer you drink and calling you a "Vegemite-licking yobbo."

Hooroo,

Buffy

To right buffy, they will only drink the very best beer and are willing to fight for it :D

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.. and B - you went there :lol: