Science Forums

God... What are your thoughts???

God's servant

My thoughts about God are essentially my personal version of those of George Santayana. I don’t believe that a personalized, interceding God like those described in the Abrahamic tradition exists, making me an atheist. I believe that moral philosophy in which God is used metaphorically, however, is compelling and powerful, and can be used to improve the condition of humans beings, individually and collectively, which one might say makes me an "aesthetic Catholic".

Anything you describe and define as real and of form of our kind, I often ponder the fact that it requires no faith, but only a belief, and contradicts the whole point of the scripture... but this is just an on going investigation.

Again, the main message if you follow the bible is to just try and increase your nature of faith. Seek with confidence, to have faith..

So most religions that build idol like objects and all that stuff seems to counter-act the purpose and gods request.

I find the bible can be translated into laws, in that in a way pure logic and mathmatics could nearlly apply and human egocentric interpratation can be tossed.

As in, to a person of no faith god is fire and by law must consume it like fire burns a leaf, and person of strong faith is on fire of this kind and will not be consumed but survive.

As if not by intention, but by law such as x+y=z

Because the only thing that makes sense to me in scriptures and in many teachings is that the message just asks you to learn and understand how to transform your nature, by having faith of something even in the face of not knowing. Having confidence the mystery creates the reality even in blindness.

Otherwise, like a triangle can't fit into a circular slot, we too may have some issues in our transition into eternity, be it called death, or change..

"Shut up"

I dont get that..

that aside,

We face a struggle, our world, our people.

My god once you understand the reality of it, you are obligated to at least feel that you should do something about it.

Religion is a huge part of it. Where do we start, what do we do.. I am putting efforts into understanding why it causes problems and what solutions can be found.

I dbout that you were saying "shut up" related to that... but for the people that do say shut up. It won't make the problem go away.

We have to investigate religious principles and logic in order to understand, and understand to create alternative solutions and actions other than frustrated violence and such.

When we run out of ways to communicate understanding we as humans nearly always resort to a physical actions in a frustrated manner. For example if we removed language, and that being most of our understanding, we'd have to resort to alot of violence to deal with issues.

Didn't catch the allusion?

You don't need to tell me things like that.

You want to know gods' thoughts?

There's a white light floating above your head. Eat it, then close your eyes and listen.

God's thoughts are unspoken so shut up and listen. I thought it would've been obvious but no I forgot I'm in lalaland

Didn't catch the allusion?

You don't need to tell me things like that.

You want to know gods' thoughts?

There's a white light floating above your head. Eat it, then close your eyes and listen.

God's thoughts are unspoken so shut up and listen. I thought it would've been obvious but no I forgot I'm in lalaland

You're not in lalaland. You're in the Theology Forum. Shape up, mate. I've never thought I'll ever say this to anybody outside of a joke, but I think it's about time you seriously consider getting with the program.

Boer, I think that you missed orb's humor. Reread the title of this thread and it can be taken two ways.

"What are your thoughts on God?"

or, the more humorous and what I think Orb was replying to:

"God, what are your thoughts?"

Orb's attempt at humor was to try and describe what God is thinking.

That being said - Orb, it really wasn't funny, just kinda annoying.

I think people approach "god" the wrong way, ask the wrong questions, make the wrong assumptions, and blindly get shackled into a relationship with a "god" without doing any real research.

First, you have to consider what kind of relationship do you want with a "god"; what's in it for you and what's in it for "god"?

Second, you have to decide whether or not this "god" can hold up its end of a relationship. Is it friendly? Understanding? Merciful? Check to see what kinds of worshipers are attracted to this same "god". That will provide a big clue as to what you are going to be like in a few years.

Third, you have to ask the really hard question: does this "god" actually deserve what we would call worship or devotion? Tough. What has this "god" done in the past; what kind of attitude does it have; what integrity has it exhibited; what reputation does it have in the greater marketplace of religions?

Fourth, is this a "god" that has its **** together? By that, I mean, how effective is this "god" at maintaining a uniform, consistent and stable religion? Or has it broken up into hundreds of sects, sub-sects, denominations, cults, what-have-you?

Fifth, has this "god" provided good, clear and unambiguous documentation of what it expects from you, the worshipper? Also, does the "god" make demands on you that are feasible, non-oppressive and affordable?

Six, consider the overall cost-benefit ratio. You're gonna invest a lot of hours and money, and probably your children, in this god-thing relationship. You may have to give up more than that even--like sex, popularity, knowledge, understanding and logic that this "god" finds distasteful. Are you sure the here-and-now benefits are gonna be worth the cost?

Seven and last, what about the reward structure? What does this "god" promise if you comply with your part of the contract? Can this "god" actually deliver on those promises? Do you have hard evidence for this? Is there a guarantee and how can it be enforced? Can other "gods" be approached to act as third-party negotiators in case there is a contract dispute?

If you are thinking of surrendering your mind, your genitals and/or your possessions to a "god" without researching these seven questions, you may regret it later.

I'm just sayin'... :) :shrug: :shrug:

I think people approach "god" the wrong way, ask the wrong questions, make the wrong assumptions, and blindly get shackled into a relationship with a "god" without doing any real research.

First, you have to consider what kind of relationship do you want with a "god"; what's in it for you and what's in it for "god"?

Second, you have to decide whether or not this "god" can hold up its end of a relationship. Is it friendly? Understanding? Merciful? Check to see what kinds of worshipers are attracted to this same "god". That will provide a big clue as to what you are going to be like in a few years.

Third, you have to ask the really hard question: does this "god" actually deserve what we would call worship or devotion? Tough. What has this "god" done in the past; what kind of attitude does it have; what integrity has it exhibited; what reputation does it have in the greater marketplace of religions?

Fourth, is this a "god" that has its **** together? By that, I mean, how effective is this "god" at maintaining a uniform, consistent and stable religion? Or has it broken up into hundreds of sects, sub-sects, denominations, cults, what-have-you?

Fifth, has this "god" provided good, clear and unambiguous documentation of what it expects from you, the worshipper? Also, does the "god" make demands on you that are feasible, non-oppressive and affordable?

Six, consider the overall cost-benefit ratio. You're gonna invest a lot of hours and money, and probably your children, in this god-thing relationship. You may have to give up more than that even--like sex, popularity, knowledge, understanding and logic that this "god" finds distasteful. Are you sure the here-and-now benefits are gonna be worth the cost?

Seven and last, what about the reward structure? What does this "god" promise if you comply with your part of the contract? Can this "god" actually deliver on those promises? Do you have hard evidence for this? Is there a guarantee and how can it be enforced? Can other "gods" be approached to act as third-party negotiators in case there is a contract dispute?

If you are thinking of surrendering your mind, your genitals and/or your possessions to a "god" without researching these seven questions, you may regret it later.

I'm just sayin'... :shrug: :confused: :eek2:

Pyrotex, you just, once again, made my day. ;) :hihi: