Science Forums

Good work, Tinny!

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

14:00 PM 8/12/2005

12 AUG 2005

I got here by searching for 'ping' - as in 'how do I 'ping', say, Google, to get some speed readings

on my connection (as per [AUSTRALIAN] PC AUTHORITY magazine, Sep 2004 issue, p-108).

Instead, I wind up here. So much for the search engine.

Hey! just kidding!. Fact is, I just might be in luck. This page is very interesting. Among the valuable things I've learned already, I see that it's possible to win a T shirt (got only 2 at moment) by just posting 500 brief little notes. Fantastic!

Then too, there's Tinny, who, as deduced from the other section (re: " Internet Exploder"), appears to be a well-informed Windows buff and who, I sincerely hope, will be able to help me out with this 'ping' thing, about which I know less than nothing (should make it 501+ by then).

It seems I got bad luck wherever I go (at moment in Malaysia), whatever computer I use and whatever line I get. Alwaya sluggish performance and multiple dropouts from net. Maddening.

So I thought I'd run some tests on the line for a start - but don't know any.

Anyway, the 'ping' thing didn't work. You drop out to DOS and enter (ex): "ping google.com" [enter]. Is this a valid diagnostic procedure/cmnd for a dial-up connection like mine? Does anyone know anything about this? I've read a bit about it a long time ago but the button that's supposed to recall all that stuff from my cockpit RAM when I get old enough (I'm only 65 now) to get the time to browse thru it all, just isn't working any more - and I wouldn't be surprised if 'Exploder' had something to do with that too.

But, seriously Folks, as regards 'Exploder' (and billy goat & Megash_t, in general), I really don't see why any one in their right mind (and I think Tinny - and what's that other gal there, Aki? - would back me on this to the hilt) would want to remove IEeeeeeeeegads! from the OS. That's nonsense.

There's no need for such drastic action. Just use Firefox, or something like that, in lieu. Of course, the problem with that is (last time I looked, anyway) that you won't be able to access Windows- and

Megash_t "Update". Good ol Megash_t won't allow it - and rightly so! Why should billy goat cut his own throat ( w h w though) by entertaining the competition?! For heaven's sake! Fair is fair.

But the problem with that is that if you're as unlucky as I (and probably, too, as the gentleman who posted the original 'Exploder' item) and have a corrupted Exploder with which you can't access the net anymore (and none of your anti-malware and anti-virus and built-in Megash_t Windows repair facilities and utilities can fix it [as more often than not], and you're in a big hurry in some little backwoods village with only one phone, and no money anyway), well then, you got yourself a catch 22. Tough. As they say - 'Life is rough and then you die'. But for heaven's sake, don't blame good ol Imploder.

Be that as it may. Me, I got me similar problems; but do I complain? Hell no! All I want is for sombody out there to help me with my pinger. That's all. I just can't believe that Imploder is the cause of all my problems, just because it's a bit vulnerable on occasion and let about 950 malware and some 45 Viruses, Worms and Trojans sneak in over the last month or so, that clogged everything up.

That's par for the course. Could happen to anybody, right? Just ask any good programmer - if you can find one. I understand 99% of the absolute top ones work at Meagash_t, though, and they're all to busy right now patching up Exploder. Let's not give them any more silly problems, shall we.

No sir. I'm convinced it's this bloody line we got here and I'm going to ping the heck out of this thing as soon as someone out there shows me how. If I'm lucky, I should be able to get back on on the net to this forum here at least once during the rest of the month to get me my answer. I must have dropped off the line at least 16 times by now, judging by the time. Right now I've got to get off this line fast. Exploder is acting up again - and there are others waiting...

Thank you for your patience and understanding; and I do hope that fellow with the 'Exploder' problem

takes my advice. Wish I could have a cold beer with him and UncleAl some time - even though I obviously don't agree with anything they've said on that issue so far...

tedoniman

(to be banned shortly)