Science Forums

Flood in my city

Heavy rains in Southern Gujarat, India had raised the water levels of the dams to danger levels. The decision had been taken to release a large amount of water into the river Tapi in order to ease the problem.

However, this step may result in excessive rise in the water levels of the river. A flood alarm in the adjoining cities is thus nessecary.

It's 5 PM now, Indian Standard Time, and the flood warning had reached me early in the morning, and all that seemed significant was that school was cancelled.

However, as the day progressed, the water levels of the Tapi river, which is just beside my house rose steadily, and reached higher than I had ever seen it. By 1 PM, the water had begun to flood the riverside lands.

At 3 PM, the situation threatened to get serious, with the water beginning to flood the roads. Most of the residents in and around the area began to madly buy supplies that may sustain them for a day or two, fearing that the water get to an extremely high level and not subside for days.

I was one of them, and had to do some major efforts in crossing the roads and fast flooding places. The shops were being closed fast, and water was filling up the place rapidly. Upon returning, I took a photo of the view from the balcony of my house, which is six floors above ground level.

Lets see what happens now... I'll be sending more pictures.

It's 7:20 PM now.

Have you got enough stuff for a few days at least?

Stocking up at the sight of the rising waters was the best idea in my life. We've got supplies for around a week or so.

Waters have risen quite a lot, I had a little walk around the street at around six thirty, and did not dare to venture in waters deeper than chest level. At places it was eight to ten feet deep.

You don't have any problems with underwater power cables that got flooded?

The transformer that supplied power to here had exploded, and I've got no power (The idiots did not have the foresight to shut the power) and that's the bad part, because it threatens the drinking water supply.

It's getting dark now, hopefully the waters will reduce by the morning... or atleast not rise further in the dark.

I've taken some pictures of my wading session... I mean which idiot would go in deep flood water without a camera?

:cup:

It's 7:20 PM now.

Stocking up at the sight of the rising waters was the best idea in my life. We've got supplies for around a week or so.

I've taken some pictures of my wading session... I mean which idiot would go in deep flood water without a camera?

Good thinkin' on the supplies Ron! It is nearing midnight there so I imagine people are trying to get some sleep. Thanks for the photos and use caution in the wading. I have to ask, how do you keep on the web with the power out?:cup: See you in the morning.

Fresh morning everyone, 7 AM and the water's come up to even higher levels. The district administration's adviced the public to take shelter at a height of above twenty feet ground level.

No worries for me there, I'm six floors up. I'll just use the final remaining power of the laptop now, god knows when I'll have decent 220Volts ao 50Hz AC again.

It's nearing 8 PM and it's going to be the second night in the flood time. The waters seem to have reached the highest level intended by god, and are beginning to get into the 'stay' stage.

According to reports, sixty percent of the city is flooded, and the situation is really bad.

Here at home things are getting grim, I do not expect the power to return until the waters do'nt recede, and in the meantime the drinking water supplies are running out.

The only hope is the UPS I'm using (and it's currently being used to power the electronic water purifier so I just connected the laptop in paralell).

All day it's been rather dull and boring, with the horrible sounds of howling dogs seeing doom, and car sirens blaring.

I just can't wait for this to end, It's really getting kinda irritating now.

Ah finally!

It's been tough time, but I guess that it turned out to be no more than a costly inconvinience to me.

All the time, we lived without clean water, electricity or outside access of any kind. Naturally, as you'd expect, we did not last long.

It got down to moving six floors down, bringing water up in buckets and using it for flushing the toilets, using two mugs of water for a bath, and constant levels of vasopressin in the blood.

Two days ago, the water showed the first signs of going away, and boy was it a relief to find that it would end so soon.

We got down onto the ground floor, then began to clean the cars (see the picture I had put up?). It seemed like the car shall go to hell. I found an entire nest of ants taking shelter inside (and my first reaction was to flush them with water.)

The next day, the army took over form the civil adminstration (which was 100% immobilised) and then did the actual relief begin.

From then on, helicopters constantly flew over the skies, constantly dropping water, milk and food packets on the buildings. We got only a water that day.

Then boats came, loaded with food and candles etc. When the reducing water levels water made it possible for it, tractors loaded with supplies came.

In those times, I saw just how men can become animals, and there was a mad rush to get hold of those supplies.

By then, we got news (on the radios) that the army was really doing a good job of relief, fixing power supplies in areas where the water levels dropped well enough. That was excellent... 'Yaay for the army' kind of.

Finally, when I woke up today, there was no sign of flood water, even though the wet mud was much worse.