Science Forums

Global Warming! We're all going to die!

Yes, you are credited and at the end of the year you may be given credits towards the next year or the power company purchaces the excess energy at the average purchace rate over the past year.

The same thing happens here

The electricty utility buys any excess power you have at a much reduced rate.(than what they sell it to you for-but that's OK)

Also

A friend just had a $150 timer fitted to his electric-meter box.

He is now charged at a lower rate for off-peak electricty he uses.

He therefore puts his dishwasher and washing machine on last thing at night and in doing so saves money!

I have yet to learn how much he saves.

I'm saving up for one! I'm a night owl.

Most the effort toward reducing global warming is focussed on prevention, but now serious efforts at cures are getting consideration. Can we/shall we, build an enormous umbrella in space to shade Earth? Here's a link to a NY Times article outlining some anti-global-warming plans in the works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/27/science/earth/27cool.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

In the past few decades, a handful of scientists have come up with big, futuristic ways to fight global warming: Build sunshades in orbit to cool the planet. Tinker with clouds to make them reflect more sunlight back into space. Trick oceans into soaking up more heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

"We should treat these ideas like any other research and get into the mind-set of taking them seriously," said Ralph J. Cicerone, president of the National Academy of Sciences in Washington.

Most the effort toward reducing global warming is focussed on prevention, but now serious efforts at cures are getting consideration. Can we/shall we, build an enormous umbrella in space to shade Earth? Here's a link to a NY Times article (registration required) outlining some anti-global-warming plans in the works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/27/science/earth/27cool.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Look

This whole global warming thing is out-of-control. We may be heading for a global cooling period - we are overdue for an ice age. The thing that is certain is that we are in the most unpredictable experiment man has ever made on the planet.

We really don't know what is going to happen.

So lets put up an umbrella?? What!!? You guys DON'T KNOW enough about the planet to wipe your *&^% with!

We are still producing CFCs for *&^% sake! These are far more destructive than CO2. The effects of the ones we banned are still happening!

(By the way Bill Bryson tels me the Guy who invented CFC's also invented lead in petrol- his two great gifts to humanity!!!)

By the way (again) I didn't need to register with NYT great paper.

By the way (again) I didn't need to register with NYT great paper.

Glad to hear that; I'll edit the post to reflect it.

Here's some scary stuff hot off the press:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N29246217.htm

Northeast U.S. floods stir global warming debate

29 Jun 2006 22:12:17 GMT

Source: Reuters

Paul Epstein, associate director of Harvard Medical School's Center for Health and the Global Environment, said the Atlantic is warming faster than scientists projected even a decade ago, and he expects such storms as the one seen this week from Virginia to New York to become common...

A cool link I found regarding water current and historic. Play around with the controls and get an overview of the features available. I didnt know there was flooding going on in Glacier park area, or in Alaska...

I really had fun with the Recent/Historical Maps/Graphs - 1901 - 2002 percentage / runoff feature.

http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/index.php

Last night on "The Daily Show" Senator James Inhofe said that global warming was "a hoax."

This man is a senator. Of the United States of America.

That is beyond shameful.

Words fail me.

TFS

I hope you are being ironic.

If not, I repeat this post:-

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:

* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse

* 7 have been arrested for fraud

* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks

* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

* 3 have done time for assault

* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting

* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/28/healthscience/snwarm.php

A look at fringe ideas for controlling climate

By William J. Broad The New York Times

Published: June 28, 2006

NEW YORK In the past few decades, a handful of scientists have come up with big, futuristic ways to fight global warming: Build sunshades in orbit to cool the planet. Tinker with clouds to make them reflect more sunlight back into space. Trick oceans into soaking up more heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

Their proposals were relegated...

Edited by InfiniteNow: You posted the link, there was no need to paste the entire article. PM me if you wish to discuss, and thanks. :)