7 replies to this topic

#1 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

is it possible theoretically to be dead without pain at the time of death?

how?

#2 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2724 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:30 AM

Heroin?

#3 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

Heroin?

nope :) ,whereas I do not know the answer,I do not think that it would be so (heroin)

I only wondered and thought this one:

assume please we prevent some or all of action potentials to be happening,which cause pain.

#4 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

nope :) ,whereas I do not know the answer,I do not think that it would be so (heroin)

I only wondered and thought this one:

assume please we prevent some or all of action potentials to be happening,which cause pain.

VX gas, but you would probably still feel some pain even though the nerve's acetylcholine pathways are blocked.

"Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter, which is a chemical released by a nerve cell or neuron. ... Acetylcholine causes muscles to contract, activates pain responses and regulates endocrine and REM sleep functions. Deficiencies in acetylcholine can lead to myasthenia gravis, which is characterized by muscle weakness."

58b03f62549057a14c8b4ae4-1293.png

Edited by VictorMedvil, 22 November 2019 - 11:01 PM.

#5 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

Why not just use Nitrogen its odourless, cheap, and you will just gradually lose consciousness, like what you might do if you dive to greater than 40 metres on normal air and keep on going deeper to maybe 100m should do it. https://en.wikipedia...trogen_narcosis  

#6 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:44 AM

Why not just use Nitrogen its odourless, cheap, and you will just gradually lose consciousness, like what you might do if you dive to greater than 40 metres on normal air and keep on going deeper to maybe 100m should do it. https://en.wikipedia...trogen_narcosis  

This is actually how somebody died at an oil refinery where I worked. A column was being purged with nitrogen and this guy went up the tower, on his own, and for an unknown reason - against all the rules and training - put his head in,  through an inspection hatch. His body was discovered an hour or so later. 

#7 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

Reminds of the Darwin awards, stupid ways to die.

Narcosis when diving reduces your brains ability to recognize danger, and you can do stupid things even if you are  aware of the dangers, of diving deeper. 

A similar effect might happen if Nitrogen had been leaking from a tower, and been inhaled. Nitrogen is lighter than air, so it would need to be driven to ground level by either the wind or convection currents around the tower. Your victim could have been partially Narced before he went into the tower, and he might not have recognized the danger. 

One of my minor activities used to be involved in safety. Accidents occur because people are naturally idiots, and often do something not anticipated. I would of thought in the Europe, safety gates and or locks, should have been used to prevent the accident from occurring. EN954-1 Machine safety applies, along with EN13849 functional safety and EN61508, and EN62061 plus a whole heap of other standards I do not care to remember specifically for chemical plants. Did the company have to pay compensation to his family, and did it introduce additional safety measures to prevent the accident/suicide happening again.

#8 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

I don't recall any pain the last two times I died.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cns, pns, awareness, action potential