1067 replies to this topic

#1055 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:36 AM

As a side note, Tegmark and others have presented papers showing that the signature 3+1 is the only one compatible with sentient observers — quite an interesting find, if true. One can logically imagine three dimensions of time and one of space, or four dimensions of space and none of time, or any other combination you could dream up, but none of them seem to admit of observers. So if one asks why we live in a 3+1 cosmos, it is an anthropic selection effect. Of course, the “why” here only refers only to why we observe, what we observe; not why it is that way, and not some other way. It is only to say that if it were some other way, no one would be around to notice. 

I should like to add, as a further side note, that this place really could be a haven for those interested in science, people of all educational and knowledge levels, if discussions were actually moderated to preclude insults, trolling and ad hominem — which unfortunately regularly occur here, despite the rules, and which no doubt intimidate people who may try to come here and converse, but are scared off from posting for fear of being called a retard, a hyena, etc.  

I don’t personally care about being attacked in such a churlish way, but I am sure many others do. In the realm of philosophy, Norman Swartz, professor emeritus of philosophy at Simon Frazier University, wrote an article, “Philosophy as a Blood Sport,” about this very problem in his own field (even before the trollish internet), and lamented about how many people had been driven from academic philosophy, including one of his best students, by mud-slinging argumentation in place of reasoned discussion motivated by the philosophical principle of charity, with at least a residuum of mutual respect, even if sometimes feigned.

I also bring up Swartz because, in a chapter of one of his books, he offers a long and brilliant philosophical exegesis on the nature of space and time, which can be found online for any interested. IMO it is a masterpiece of modern analytic philosophy, though I acknowledge that many hold philosophy to be meaningless, as did the late Steven Hawking. They are wrong. As Swartz has noted, the entire scientific enterprise is shot through with often unrecognized philosophical presuppositions. I’d be tempted to post a link to the chapter, but I get the distinct impression that here, it would either be disparaged or ignored, by people who agree with Hawking, or who think that nothing has any meaning except algebra.

This sounds interesting. There are a few of us who might appreciate it.

There happen to be three prolific posters here who fairly obviously have mental conditions (Ralfcis, Dubbelsox and Victor offhis Medsville). I have had all three of them on Ignore for quite some time. But I do scan the forum most days just to see if anything interesting has been posted. If you care to post something on another thread, away from these characters, I will certainly read it.

The main entertainment here otherwise is waiting for another perpetual motion crank to show up. :winknudge:

#1056 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

I'm all for you navel gazers to go navel gaze on another thread amongst yourselves. I won't bother you because I find you've got nothing important or interesting to say. I see a lot of hurt feelings, egos and malice but no glimmer of intelligence in any of you. However, I do enjoy batting you guys around from one post to the next like a cat with a play toy so I'll miss that. 

Popeye is the only one here who is rational, knowledgeable, and can do the math yet he won't engage with me. As Damp said, I must be scary. I enrage the rest of you but he's neither critical or overly supportive but I assume he's labelled me as one of the cranks. So long as he lets me crank away at the math to see where it leads, I guess it really doesn't matter. Once I tie up all the loose ends, I'll set up shop on a forum that has the experts to test me and you can turn this place into an online yoga studio if that's your goal. 

#1057 OceanBreeze

OceanBreeze

Creating

• Moderators
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

No Ralf, I don’t consider you to be a crackpot. I do think you have an obsession about relativity that is based on some fundamental misunderstanding. The reason I don’t engage with you is just that I think it would be a waste of my time and yours, as nothing I could say would convince you. I do read your posts, however, and I have no objection to you continuing with your quest to prove whatever you are trying to prove. I say, go for it!

#1058 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

This sounds interesting. There are a few of us who might appreciate it.

There happen to be three prolific posters here who fairly obviously have mental conditions (Ralfcis, Dubbelsox and Victor offhis Medsville). I have had all three of them on Ignore for quite some time. But I do scan the forum most days just to see if anything interesting has been posted. If you care to post something on another thread, away from these characters, I will certainly read it.

The main entertainment here otherwise is waiting for another perpetual motion crank to show up. :winknudge:

Whats your problem exchemist? You are against 2 people that actually know what they are doing.... Don't ever group me with Ralfcis.

Edited by VictorMedvil, 04 October 2019 - 11:53 AM.

#1059 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

There has always been a way to convince me but it requires someone understanding what I say and turn it around on me rather than assuming I don't understand relativity. The problem is there are so many interpretations of relativity and that's why it's both deemed settled science by the high priests and supplicants and completely unsettled science by everyone else. That's why this theory is still constantly hotly debated for over a century. The problems are how it's taught and the fact there isn't a FAQ for it. The other problem is that there is an unwritten  FAQ for it but when you ask a question it gets pigeon holed into questions that have nothing to do with yours. People are terrified of looking stupid so often the pat answers have nothing to do with the questions and when you point that out to them they get very offended.

The best book I've ever read, and I don't read much, is "Sapiens". It really explained human nature to me. The most important lesson is that masculinity is the most important thing to a male and femininity to a female. If you attack a woman's looks, that's like a dagger to the heart. The same if you insult a male's strength and vigor whether mental or physical. Physics forums are based on the latter dynamic as well as providing a rubber room for certain types of mental illness. 

Yes I have an obsession with SR; at first it was to try to master it and recently to try to destroy it once I mastered it enough to see its flaws. When the math clicks into place I get such a feeling of euphoria. But when I have trouble figuring out a problem, it actually causes physical pain much like constipation. It hurts to concentrate that much. That's why I'm reluctant to start into the next problem because the last two really stretched me.

PS. You're just assuming I have a fundamental misunderstanding of relativity based on the evidence that you can't be bothered to identify it. So you're statement has no basis in fact other than it goes against established dogma which has historically always been the least likely to withstand all challengers.

Edited by ralfcis, 04 October 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#1060 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

"I have had all three of them on Ignore for quite some time. But I do scan the forum most days just to see if anything interesting has been posted."

I knew XC was illiterate but reading most days what people he has on ignore write is not having them on ignore. You might want to explore that XC. I'm not saying you're mentally ill, just lacking integrity like Damp.

PS. I just read Victor doesn't want me to be lumped in with him and 006. I second that.

Edited by ralfcis, 04 October 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#1061 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Ocean believes you do as he says, not as he does. Remember to be nice.

#1062 Amplituhedron

Amplituhedron

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

I'm all for you navel gazers to go navel gaze on another thread amongst yourselves. I won't bother you because I find you've got nothing important or interesting to say. I see a lot of hurt feelings, egos and malice but no glimmer of intelligence in any of you. 

Pure projection on your part, like Trump calling others crooks. 

#1063 Amplituhedron

Amplituhedron

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

... I don't read much ... 

Ya don't say!

#1064 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

It's all about perspective.

#1065 Amplituhedron

Amplituhedron

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

The best book I've ever read, and I don't read much, is "Sapiens". It really explained human nature to me. The most important lesson is that masculinity is the most important thing to a male and femininity to a female. If you attack a woman's looks, that's like a dagger to the heart. The same if you insult a male's strength and vigor whether mental or physical.

Of course, another believer in evolutionary psychology! What a shock!

Those who want to see this sort of nonsense thoroughly and repeatedly debunked are recommended to read P.Z. Myers' Pharynguyla blog. 

• exchemist likes this

#1066 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Dave's another one like XC, never reads my posts and is outraged by all of them. In the old SPCF forum they had a philosophy section. Can't we make Dave a happy camper and get one going here for the big boy? Then he won't feel compelled to follow me around and not read my posts.

Edited by ralfcis, 04 October 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#1067 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

Of course, another believer in evolutionary psychology! What a shock!

Those who want to see this sort of nonsense thoroughly and repeatedly debunked are recommended to read P.Z. Myers' Pharynguyla blog. 

Now that is interesting. I read Sapiens, on the recommendation of someone, and found myself underwhelmed by it. It seemed rather too obviously to revel in iconoclasm without a lot of evidence to support the ideas. But I confess I don't like Harari's sweeping and exaggerated journalistic style, so that is partly what put me off.

Myers is someone I have a lot of time for. I'll look this up and see what he has to say. 

Edited by exchemist, 04 October 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#1068 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

How soon could that philosophy forum be set up please?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relativity