Science Forums

Us

Deepwater6

Regardless of why we exist, it is important to realize that it is up to us to decide what to do with our existence.

Agreed, moreover its up to us to be conscious of what impact our acts and deeds may reverberate into the future. The acts of some individuals and collectives more so than others. 

Do you think we are doing a good job of it? I mean globally, such as nuclear bombs, Trump, Syria etc.

Most of us, I think, are doing the best we can, but  I see far too many people who have adopted a victim mentality and just gave up trying, or are looking to someone else to solve their personal problems for them. 

Most of us, I think, are doing the best we can, but  I see far too many people who have adopted a victim mentality and just gave up trying, or are looking to someone else to solve their personal problems for them. 

That's very subjective. Some people are victims and not knowing how to deal with problems can come across as not wanting to help themselves. Also aren't victims encouraged to get support from others? Wouldn't that be considered a proactive and positive thing to do?

That's very subjective. Some people are victims and not knowing how to deal with problems can come across as not wanting to help themselves. Also aren't victims encouraged to get support from others? Wouldn't that be considered a proactive and positive thing to do?

Yes, some people are victims, but still others choose to be victims.  I know someone who can't hold down a job and sees that as not his fault.  I once  tried to put him to work, but I couldn't get any actual work out of him as he put out excuse after excuse as he sat there doing nothing.  I repeatedly offered him transportation to get him to the adult education classes so he could get his G.E.D., but he just said he didn't feel good, time after time.  

At some point you have to realize that even when you don't choose things that happen to you, you do have a choice as to how you deal with it.  When you act with apathy or a sense of hopelessness, nothing will improve, and if you react with anger, (voting for Trump) bad things are likely.  You have to start with taking control of you own mind and your own feelings. 

Yes I see what you're saying but I don't think that it's even really possible to choose to be miserable. We only have one motivation, to be as happy as we can possibly be. Some people are happy when then see others happy and some people are happy when they see others miserable but in the end everything we say and do is for that one single motive.

Some people are stronger than others and it can look like weaker people aren't even trying. Also you never know what somebody's issues really are. Maybe the person you're referring to is dealing with something that you don't know about, maybe they have a chemical imbalance that effects them. My point is that there's always a reason.

I realise that by this logic nobody is responsible for their own actions and this could be seen as an excuse for just being lazy.

Why are we?

Because of our environment in which " we " grew up in .

From Farmers , religion , scientists , business , inventors , tech. , entrepreneurs ,from poor to rich .

And from the family environment we experienced .

And from inspiration by anybody one respects.

And the intellect one has been given.

Therefore Why we are , is for the most part the environment in which we grew up in .

And self potential .

. We only have one motivation, to be as happy as we can possibly be. Some people are happy when then see others happy and some people are happy when they see others miserable but in the end everything we say and do is for that one single motive.

Some people are stronger than others and it can look like weaker people aren't even trying. Also you never know what somebody's issues really are. Maybe the person you're referring to is dealing with something that you don't know about, maybe they have a chemical imbalance that effects them. My point is that there's always a reason.

Actually, the only biological drive we have is to live long enough to procreate.

Also, people can choose misery, although they may not always be aware of their desire to be miserable.  There is a certain addictive quality to emotions, even negative ones. http://www.hufingtonpost.com/dr-ali-binazir/addiction-recovery-why-we_b_603566.html   In fact some people seem to need misery. //lonerwolf.com/misery-makes-you-happy/  I have seen this.

I think there is a certain point when we can't be helped by others until we recognize what it is that we really need to do for ourselves.  We can't make the choices we refuse to recognize.

Edited by CraigD
Fixed broken link

In fact some people seem to need misery. //lonerwolf.com/misery-makes-you-happy/

The clue is in the title, misery makes you happy. If it makes you happy then you're not miserable for long because it triggers a positive response.

I know that biologically speaking it's about procreation because we're the result of a long line of descendants that did procreate but that just means that it would make us happy to procreate, generally speaking. Plenty of people don't want kids. That's a result of better contraception and less social pressure.

The point is that every single thing that anyone ever does is only to make themselves happy, no exceptions.

The clue is in the title, misery makes you happy. If it makes you happy then you're not miserable for long because it triggers a positive response.

Yes, but that positive response is always short term.  I think the bigger problem "we" face is that most people don't really define "happiness".  We think  "If I get this, or achieve that, it will make me happy"  and then they find they are still not happy.  I believe we can only find happiness within, and when we look outward for things to make us happy, we are doomed to fail.

Really !! BS.

Ambitious people can be people , who want to do good in this world .

For example scientist who develope different modes of free energy , cancer research etc.

Ambitious people can and are motivated by doing good .

Edited by current

:irked: I never said ambitious people couldn't be good people, most aren't but plenty are. I said they'll never be happy, because they're never satisfied with what they've got and always want more. All the top people in their chosen field aren't the ones who went out to be the best, they're the ones that love what they do and do it for the sake of doing it.

:irked: I never said ambitious people couldn't be good people, most aren't but plenty are. I said they'll never be happy, because they're never satisfied with what they've got and always want more. All the top people in their chosen field aren't the ones who went out to be the best, they're the ones that love what they do and do it for the sake of doing it.

All this is a mix .

Ambitious people are a mix .

But your lumping all ambitious people as having the same attitude , they don't.