Science Forums

The Merits Of Chiropractic Care

Maine farmer

I just have to say I am very thankful to have a good chiropractor !  From the conversations I've had, the people who are skeptical about the benefits of chiropractic care have never been to a good one.  I avoid pain medications because I can't stop working and need to be able to feel the pain to avoid making injuries worse, and it is truly remarkable how I can go from having difficulty moving out of bed to being able to run with two 50 lb grain bags after just one visit.  My chiropractor helps keep me moving at peak efficiency!

You run with two fifty lb sacks of grain? No wonder your back hurts.

Seriously, there must be a lot of bad chiropractors then because I have never gone to one yet that helped me. I've considered surgery but all the doctors I have say that if I think it will go away in time, (and it always has) I should just wait it out. Thank god for oxycodone

Edited by Aristarchus

Seriously, there must be a lot of bad chiropractors then because I have never gone to one yet that helped me. I've considered surgery but all the doctors I have say that if I think it will go away in time, (and it always has) I should just wait it out. Thank god for oxycodone

I think it depends a lot on the specific cause of the pain, but I have heard of some bad chiropractors.  One thing to be wary of is claims of it being  some sort of cure - all.  I found my chiropractor through friends who had  positive outcomes of their own.

I think it depends a lot on the specific cause of the pain, but I have heard of some bad chiropractors.  One thing to be wary of is claims of it being  some sort of cure - all.  I found my chiropractor through friends who had  positive outcomes of their own.

Chiropractors are on the list of things by Jame Randy that are not real, like dousing, homeopathy, talking to the dead to name a few...  

When your spine is out of alignment, it puts pressure on your nerves.  I had such an awful, shooting pain down my right leg that I walked with a severe limp, and almost every day when I was pouring grain from a grain bag to feed the heifers, my leg would just buckle right out from under me at least twice. (I don't get to call in sick)  My chiropractor put me on spinal decompression therapy and made a few adjustments, and within a month it was as if I was never injured.

I get knocked around by cows quite a bit, and every now and then I can feel my spine get shifted out of alignment, it hurts, and I go see the chiropractor, he makes an adjustment, and I'm good to go !

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this post about merits of chiropractic care. I am impressed to know how beneficial it is. My brother got acupuncture for his back pain treatment from an [sPAMlink removed] center and had a great relief. These TCM really work.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nerve pain is THE worst. But I can also vouch for acupuncture - worked like a charm for me.

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic nearly 18 years ago, and have so far avoided most of the side effects with close dietary and medicinal control, but I have been experiencing peripheral neuropathy for the last several months.  I started out on Lyrica 50 mg, but switched to Gabapentin 300 mg about a month ago as a less expensive alternative.  Last Thursday I started having an adverse reaction to the Gabapentin (fever, weakness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, loss of short term memory, etc...).  I am back on Lyrica but I still have sudden sharp pains down my legs and almost constant pain and burning in my feet.  I need to either get the dose  increased or switch to an alternative, and acupuncture might be a possibility.  My mother worked for a chiropractor and my wife goes to one regularly, but I don't believe a spinal adjustment will do any more good for my neuropathy than going for a foot massage.

Edited by fahrquad

I just have to say I am very thankful to have a good chiropractor !  From the conversations I've had, the people who are skeptical about the benefits of chiropractic care have never been to a good one.  I avoid pain medications because I can't stop working and need to be able to feel the pain to avoid making injuries worse, and it is truly remarkable how I can go from having difficulty moving out of bed to being able to run with two 50 lb grain bags after just one visit.  My chiropractor helps keep me moving at peak efficiency!

I don't believe in unnecessary surgery either (I think most hysterectomies and mastectomies are totally unnecessary).  I can't take any synthetic opioids since I have a reaction to them, so when I had shoulder reconstruction surgery (ruptured bursa, torn rotator cuff, and torn brachial bicep tendon) I was totally screwed.  It took me 18 months to fully recover and another 6 months to find another job (I couldn't function on the job after I came back from the surgery due to the pain so I resigned my office)(Building and Zoning Administrator for the next town up).