Science Forums

Publishing articles

gribbon

I read Tormod's guide to publishing articles, but I need to get one thing straight first of all.

If one does publish an article, do you have to gain permission from the original writer first of all, or do you just have to explain the source? ( assume you don't have to be a moderator to do it either, do you?)

Thanks......:0353: :) :)

If one does publish an article, do you have to gain permission from the original writer first of all, or do you just have to explain the source?

That depends. If it is copyrighted material it cannot be published here without the express written consent of the original author. We would probably not even take someone's word that they got a mail from the author without contacting the author ourselves to make absolutely sure of their permission.

OTOH, there are many public news/press releases that can be republished without permission but we still require a credit to the source of the material. Look near the end of the news stories I post and click on the source to see where they came from. These are releases from Universities, Government Agencies, National Laboratories, etc.. that post public releases for news editors to use.

And where do you find these Universities, Agencies, Laboratories that are putting out press releases?????????

About all of them do actually. I have bookmarks for around 100 that I view daily to see if there are any releases that qualify as "Science news" then I publish the ones that I think are interesting.