Science Forums

Lan Voip

I've got a network set up between my house and a couple of my neighbours. The switch is in my house, from where the internet connection runs - we all split a wireless connection.

The thing is, the internet connection is a bit touch-and-go, because the property is between hills and reception comes and goes. No streaming video, etc!

I want to set up voice connections between our pc's, to run over IP over our tiny widdle LAN. It sucks to have to phone your neighbour (or walk over to his house) when you're both sitting in front of pc's. It also sucks to have to type messages when you've got a perfectly good headset with a mike right next to your pc. Okay - I'll 'fess up - it's for gaming.

Any good freeware out there that you guys can recommend? Or is there something in Windows that can do it, but I'm too thick to know about it?

Yah, I'm a bit of a prat. We used Netmeeting extensively when I was still in the industry (I quit IT about two years ago - whoohoo!) ...and I completely forgot about it!

Thanks, your most excellent Buffness, for reminding me of it! I installed it last night and it works 110%. Netmeeting runs peer-to-peer, we installed TeamSpeak last week, but the damn thing needs a server...

Go NetMeet!

Thanks, your most excellent Buffness, for reminding me of it!
It was my *pleasure*! My daughter will be thrilled to hear in the morning that mom helped the cows talk over the network! Moo!
I installed it last night and it works 110%.
Shhhhh! Don't tell alexander! He'll make you find an old machine and install Linux! ;)

Use what works,

Buffy