Science Forums

Type 1 Diabetes

pgrmdave

according to malay tradition, we use Bitter Gourd (Momordica charantia). there are scientific studies of its effectiveness as a replacement for insulin. here's a link:

http://www.ids.org.my/idsgroup/vaic/R&D/article42.htm

and to oblige by the rules, here's an excerpt:

Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Lumbago:

The important plant used to cure diabetes, high blood pressure and lumbago include Eurycoma longifolia, andrographis paniculata, Tinospora crispa, Leucosyke capitellata, Momordica charantia, Alstonia angustiloba and Polyalthia insignis. The plant parts, either roots or leaves, are boiled in water and the preparation taken as tea, two or three times daily.

• 5 weeks later...

Not really a treatment, But something that is better for monitoring

S4MS-injectable biochips

S4MS-injectable biochips for diabetics to monitor the sugar level in the blood. This will save diabetic patients from all the skin pricks, which is must for current blood sugar monitoring method

that will help you just a bit, make life a tiny bit easier I guess and you will be able to monitor you're health in real time. rather than using that device to stab urself :)

lets hope this Biotechnology revoloution can produce some amazing cures through genetic engineering, possibly.

More about Biochips

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text5-2-2004-53657.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Stem cells (especially embryotic stem cells) are pretty much the best chance for a cure. Another area that is being researched is xenotransplantation. This is a technique where islet cells (the cells that produce insulin) are harvested from pigs, encapsulated to protect it from your immune system, and inserted into a patient. Studies are being performed to test the lasting effects of this treatment. By the way- my avatar is an encapsulated islet group.

• 2 weeks later...
Other islet cells - the alpha cells - produce glucagon, which is an antagonist to insulin in that it raises blood glucose levels.

Glucagon works by converting glycogen, which is stored in the liver, into glucose. All good Type 1 diabetics carry a "glucagon kit", which is glucagon in injectable form, so if they become unconscious due to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), it can be used to bring their blood sugar to level where they regain consciousness. At this point, the hypoglycemia can be treated the normal way, through the ingestion of high-carbohydrate food items.

There is a price: after using a glucagon kit, the diabetic will be ill for about four hours. This is the same reaction that causes marathon runners to get sick. They have used all their other energy reserves, and moved on to the natural glycogen/glucagon reaction. As Type 1 diabetics age, the body's glycogen-storing mechanism becomes weaker, and eventually glucagon injections no longer work, making hypoglycemic reactions even more dangerous.

The most effective way to treat a type 1 diabetic is either through constant infusion of a fast acting insulin by way of an insulin pump or my using a fast acting insulin to cover meals and a long acting insulin. The basal rate is the amount of long acting insulin present to keep one's blood sugar at a constant state if fasting. A bolus amount is given to cover food or any rise in blood sugar. The food bolus is determined by ratios of grams of carbohydrates eaten (as in, one unit for every eight carbohydrates). The correction bolus is determined by the number or mg/dL or mmol/L over the target blood glucose (as in, one unit of insulin for every 30 mg/dL over 120 mg/dL. The idea of this is to keep the blood sugar in the target range without too much spiking or dipping.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi List,

Is this "good news" , a protective side affect for us chronic insulin users from Alzheimer's?

I have averaged, maybe over the last 38 years to over dose my brain cells (hypoglycemia) at least once a weeks, if not twice a week. To me, hypoglycemia is defined as either;

1. feeling / thought confusion, visual sensations.

2. Clammy skin

3. sweat

4. Extreme dream like confusion, passing out, memory blackout, This has happened twice because traumatic shocks happened at a time of low sugar,

* Insulin may help treat Alzheimer's:

Scientists are reporting that a substance commonly

used to treat diabetes may also protect against

the devastating memory-robbing illness.

Insulin may help treat Alzheimer's: researchers

Cheers,

Erich