Science Forums

Does china need the Old Tibet

Michaelangelica

I have been spending some time on the Care2 news site. I nearly always find some interesting news I have never seen before like this

China's hosting of the World Buddhist Forum last year and an international forum on Taoism this year were "unprecedented" events, Fang told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.

"From this, we can see the government's support to religion and we can see the positive role of religion in social life," he said.

Last month, the party approved state and party leader Hu Jintao's proposal to include religion in the party constitution to reflect its desire to promote the "positive influence of religion in economic and political aspects," Fang said.

Buddhism is leading the way, with an estimated 100 million believers among China's 1.3 billion people, according to the State Administration of Religious Affairs.

Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | China | 'People's Buddhism' rises under communist watch in China

However a recent discussion with non-practising, Catholic friends has made me a little suspicious of the Communist party motives.

IE

Some travelling educated middle class friends were taken to a Buddhist monestry in China

They told me how disgusted they were by the experience.

The monks were dirty, unkempt, 'parasites', living free of the people.

They were out raged and disgusted by the monks..

I think it may have been their first brush with Buddhism.

There was no way I could convince them that their experience was not typical of Buddhism and there are many "brands" of Buddhism.

Perhaps this is the message China is trying to get out?

Personally I think China desperately needs some sort of moral compass other than capitalism, consumerism and communism . Buddhism would be a great antidote to those three potential anti-human, CCCs

• 11 months later...
China Lacks Moral Authority To Be A Superpower: Dalai Lama

Published: Thursday, 4 December, 2008

Brussels, Belgium, 4 December 2008 (AFP) - China lacks the moral authority, including over the question of Tibet, to be a true superpower, the Dalai Lama said Thursday during a European tour that has angered Beijing.

After addressing the EU parliament in Brussels, the Tibetan spiritual leader said China "deserves to be a superpower" given its huge population and economic and military strength.

"Now one important factor is moral authority and that is lacking," he told a press conference in Brussels.

"Because of its very poor record on human rights and religious freedom and freedom of expression and freedom of the press -- too much censorship -- the image of China in the field of moral authority is very, very poor," he said.

China Lacks Moral Authority To Be A Superpower: Dalai Lama

all the talks with the Dali, and the fights for freedom etc are all nice and make good stories that warm (or anger) the heart.

but lets face it, who's stopping China? The UN doesn't press China, no other organization will think of it cause they will lose $.

so i find the original question a little pointless.....does it matter if it belongs to china? china says so and for the time being what they say goes. all the political talks, agreements treaties and what not are jsut around to shut up the buyers so they keep buying their ****, but it changes very little except a few more people up top get paid vacations.

• 1 month later...
all the talks with the Dali, and the fights for freedom etc are all nice and make good stories that warm (or anger) the heart.

but lets face it, who's stopping China? The UN doesn't press China, no other organization will think of it cause they will lose $.

so i find the original question a little pointless.....does it matter if it belongs to china? china says so and for the time being what they say goes. all the political talks, agreements treaties and what not are jsut around to shut up the buyers so they keep buying their ****, but it changes very little except a few more people up top get paid vacations.

Yes it does matter when one country invades another and introduces genocide of the people and culture.

Remember Hitler?

But that is not the question.

Will a China who believes that "Getting Rich is Great" really be happy with that, and that alone?

Thus throwing out their Taoism and Buddhism and Confucianism for pure capitalism- unfettered by any moral or ethical considerations?

The astonishing Dr Joseph Needham - Part 2 of 3 - Science Show - 10 January 2009

i agree. my point was it doesn't matter how free a nation is, if china is claiming it and they can't defend themselves, then its china's cause no other nation has the dignity to stop it, at least as long as china is pumping out cheap toys.

Will a China who believes that "Getting Rich is Great" really be happy with that, and that alone?

Thus throwing out their Taoism and Buddhism and Confucianism for pure capitalism- unfettered by any moral or ethical considerations?

those religions are, in my opinion, a business front. its sad how money oriented those religions actually are, far more so than Christianity. i wont go to the temples anymore with my wife or other family because i find it rather disgusting how the whole operation works.