Science Forums

Sugar crystals

mir

I made some sugar crystals by saturating a water solution at almost the boiling point of the mixture (well above 100 degrees!), then slowly cooled it in a homemade crystallizer (some pillows and cotton in a closed container, left the over saturated solution there). Then left it standing after two days, in the refrigerator, then in a freezer for one day. I got 5-8 mm perfect crystals at the end. The sugar water left in the solution were washed away with ice cold water.

Now, is there a better way to make sugar crystals with homemade solvents?

I want crystal at least 2-3 cm in length this time! I got some seed crystals now to start from :evil:

Now, is there a better way to make sugar crystals with homemade solvents?

I've never tried it, but did find the following site:

Growing Sugar Crystals

Following these [above] instructions you did not only learn something about growing sugar crystals but the basics of solution growth anyhow. The principles are the same growing other materials and there are more recipes to come

• 2 weeks later...

Make up the soluton with distilled water in the same way. Insulate it the same way. Let it sit at room temp for a month or three. Alternatively, let it cool to merely warm then carefully add one of your obtained crystals under the surface. Reseal and let sit isolated at room temp for a couple of months. Carefullyl look in every week or so after seeding.