Science Forums

For those interested in Arachnids. Uropygi.

Ganoderma

Not sure if there are any other members here interested in Arachnids. I am currently keeping Typlopeltis crucifer (a type of Uropygi) and this month has proved fruitful. I had 2 females lay eggs. One batch hatched about a week or 2 ago. The interesting thing is from “laying” to hatching was an amazingly short 16 days!

These are the somewhat scorpion looking guys that instead of sting squirt a vinegar scented acid.

Anyway here are a couple photos. I am very excited! I hope to venture a little further in asia and collect a few more species in the comming years. These are becoming a fast favorite.

I use a Nikon CP5400. It is capable of far more than I am that’s for sure. It’s old so you can get them pretty cheap. Best bang for the buck that I found. Photos were also done at night in pretty dark settings so I had o set it at 1 second at 2.9 just to get it bright enough.

What amazed me was the 16 day incubation period! The other female had eggs as well but they appeared to be half clear half white so I assumed they were infertile as the others were solid white. Not i am noticing development in them and they appear as well developed as the other batch did around the 10 day mark. This makes me think that perhaps they retain them inside while they develop until they are comfortable to lay (ie in a burrow). Would make sense as they did not have burrows. The first one may have laid them late (hence short incubation) because it was in a high traffic high light part of the house. I found her with eggs already laid. The second female however was moved to a secluded spot well before she laid, so perhaps felt comfortable to lay earlier, hence the longer incubation. Just a thought. Some of the second females eggs are starting to rot though.

not half an hour after i posted the last post i went and found this!

More good news! the second female hatched out her young! It was truely amazing as i got to watch them hatch this time! talk about good timing! Trust em i really tried to get some good pictures of the hatching process but i failed. i did not want her to get stressed. Although she was already eating babies when i found her :D even if i loose them all i feel very happy about being able to witness them hatching! this one took 21 days to hatch. they were "laid" on November 07 2006 and hatched today, November 27 2006. Enough talk here is the only pictures i got that were even half decent....the jars are covered in dirt, so trust me it wasn't easy...

Eggs that were dropped for some very odd reason...But you can see them starting to come out.

the hungry mother with her meals.

My attempt at getting a picture of them hatching. you can see them hatching if you look hard enough. sorry.

Anyway i am super excited. i will likely loose more sleep tonight. i love watching baby animals emerge!