Science Forums

Singers poor actors because....

paigetheoracle

I'm not going to offer a suggestion as I disagree with the premise.

I'm going to alter the premise, and then offer a suggestion. :eek:

Could the reason most singers make bad actors is that the latter requires very controlled breathwork, to manipulate complex ideas and emotions; where the former requires expansive movements of the lungs - in other words, the complete opposite use of the voice?

Paige Edit = Turtle: One reason some singers make bad actors is that the bad actor requires very controlled breathwork, to so poorly manipulate complex ideas and emotions; where the singer turned-actor requires expansive movements of the face, arms, and torso - in other words, like watching a seizure victim.

Well, I agree with that completedly Paige. :) I mean just think Joe Cocker, or how 'bout some of those classical musicians with all that grimmacing. :)

...I think singers make poor actors, because they get handed horrible scripts!

There's only one flavour of person making a worse actor than a singer, and that be an egotistical director with a Hitchcock obsession. Kinda like... Tarantino! :) Make no mistake, he's a good director in my books. But he SUCKS horribly at acting...

But then again - as to the original question:

If singers indeed make terrible actors, I doubt it has anything to do with breathing methods. I think they make terrible actors because they haven't received any acting training, and they are persuaded by media companies to do it because they'll make a crap script fly by attaching a name to it. The singers persuing an acting career of their own volition normally has some ego problems. I guess its the old adage about a brilliant plumber being a lousy electrician, if you catch my drift... training and experience!