Science Forums

Strange Symptoms.

hmmmm,

Recently, I came down with what seems to be a common cold type of sickness.

tonight, while brushing my teeth, the skin on the roof of my mouth started peeling off.

I ended up telling the person who I think got me sick about the strange accurance, and he told me that the same thing happened to him 4 days ago.

Could this possibly be a symptom of some sort of strange cold?

What is going on here?

Could be the result of a virus, and a change in your mucous. Much more likely though is a burn resulting from putting hot food in your mouth... it makes the skin on the roof of your mouth fall off. I've done this numerous times when biting into hot pizza, where the lava like cheese singed my mouth.

You frequently post such questions DCM, but it's important to know that the accuracy of our answers depends on the quality of the information you provide.

Why do you think you have a cold? What are your symptoms? What is your temperature? Are you dehydrated?

Had the skin on the roof of your mouth been peeling prior to brushing your teeth? Have you noticed any pain in the area? Can you describe it?

What is the state of your friend whom you think transferred the illness to you? Are they worse? Better? Yanking your chain? :eswirl:

Moral of the story is that if it worries you enough, go see someone who can see, hear, and even smell the issue. We're just going off of what you state, and per my questions, you can tell even that is not enough.

Proste. :shrug:

oh, jeez.

That's right.

I ate a really hot microwave burrito.

:fly:

I'm sorry I ask so many questions of this nature. But I don't really have anyone else to ask. I guess I'm just.... lonely and paranoid.

eh, now I feel better because I specifically remember burning that side of my mouth with a really really hot burrito.

It's probably a coincidence that my friend who got me sick also burned his mouth with some hot food.

bleehhh. Paranoid.

I'll try to keep these lame questions to a minimun from now on.

Sometimes I will get something similar when I drink too much acidic beverages like sour orange juice. I have even got something similar from drinking too much highly carbonated beverages. In these cases, the burn is caused by citric and carbonic acids. I believe B vitamins are good for the skin and nerves and make one less vulnerable. Take a good multiple vitamin with extra B and C to toughen the pallate. There used to be one such vitamin marketed for those who burn the candle at both ends; but any one-a-day stress formula multi-vitamin is sufficient. This way you can still eat junk food and get all the vitamins a growing body needs.