Science Forums

Craters on Earth and the other Planets

Harry Costas

Hello Laurie

Can you post the link, please.

Hello Harry.

I actually read about it in a magazine. I'll see if the magazine (a local one, which I don't have on me at the moment) has a website and send you the link later. You can search for "Apophis 2029" and pick up quite a few links.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050822_asteroid_apophis.html

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3434

Exactly the same as the chances for it striking elsewhere. It's a Poisson distribution.

Somewhat on topic of the off topic, you can also find sanctuary of the same statistically invalid kind in an outhouse in Norway.

I can see I shall have to be more effective at indicating irony in my posts. B)

I can see I shall have to be more effective at indicating irony in my posts. :naughty:

Or I more at humor. :eek2:

Whats up turtle?

Space rocks an' da holes dey make Harry. :)

As our planet would actually be moving towards the space rock and not vs a vs, wouldn't you expect at least one (or a series of) bounce dent(s) (probably appearing as lakes on land), that follow a trajectory that is a result of the combination of their own initial trajectory and the earths rotation, which ends in a large rock?

A 'skip' isn't necessary to explain a line of impact craters. The incoming space rock need only break up before it hits, as we saw with Schoemaker/Levy when it struck Jupiter. :eek:

.A 'skip' isn't necessary to explain a line of impact craters. The incoming space rock need only break up before it hits, as we saw with Schoemaker/Levy when it struck Jupiter. :scratchchin:

Hello Turtle,

That would probably describe how the line of mineral deposits around Cobar was formed. There are many possibilities and you could just look for the rocks and then work backwards to see if there were any skips.

BTW the article on Apophis was in the Australian Sky and Telescope magazine, they don't have the article on a website. The trajectory published is almost parallel with the line formed by the 4 major stone forts found on the Aran Islands in Ireland. There's another series of 4 circular stone forts along a different line in the Burren (county Clare).

Hello Turtle,

That would probably describe how the line of mineral deposits around Cobar was formed. There are many possibilities and you could just look for the rocks and then work backwards to see if there were any skips.

BTW the article on Apophis was in the Australian Sky and Telescope magazine, they don't have the article on a website. The trajectory published is almost parallel with the line formed by the 4 major stone forts found on the Aran Islands in Ireland. There's another series of 4 circular stone forts along a different line in the Burren (county Clare).

Well, I don't believe 'skips' happen as you describe. How do you come by this idea? :reallyconfused:

I can see I shall have to be more effective at indicating irony in my posts. :evil:
:( OK, it did strike me odd that Eclogite would say something like that but, unless the wording is designed to feign dumb, :) alone doesn't convey it. Try ;) maybe, or some of the new ones...

;)

Hello All

Whats a skip?

Laurie is suggesting space rocks approach Earth and when they reach the surface they skip like a stone on water and leave divots (craters). I think Laurie then is suggesting said space rock skips back out into space.

It's as clear as the points you make with the topic of the thread Harry. How ironic. :D

Well, I don't believe 'skips' happen as you describe. How do you come by this idea? :phones:

Hello Turtle,

There are many different ways that a space rock can pass through our atmosphere and either come to rest or bounce off (skip) and go around for another turn later. It all depends on the objects weight, density, trajectory and speed (not to mention if it skips off an ocean).

As we have gaps in our magnetic fields at the poles (the fields are similar to an inverted cone, shouldn't we consider how this will impact on slow moving metallic space objects?

Hello All

Whats a skip?

Hello Harry,

A bounce off water would be termed a 'skip' (i.e. skipping stones) while a bounce off land would leave a dent whose size depended on the relative density of the land compared with the density of the rock.

Also, I saw an interesting geological cross section of Ayers rock once that showed that the 'outcrop' continued a long way down to the base rock (very phallic) far under the surface.

Hello Turtle,

There are many different ways that a space rock can pass through our atmosphere and either come to rest or bounce off (skip) and go around for another turn later. It all depends on the objects weight, density, trajectory and speed (not to mention if it skips off an ocean).

Uhmmmm....I don't think so Laurie. :phones: Perhaps you can provide a calculation for a specific weight, density, trajectory, size, composition, temperature, and speed which results in such a skip? Or maybe some support from an accredited source? :) I ask again, where did you come by this idea? :eek_big:

Uhmmmm....I don't think so Laurie. :rant: Perhaps you can provide a calculation for a specific weight, density, trajectory, size, composition, temperature, and speed which results in such a skip? Or maybe some support from an accredited source? :read: I ask again, where did you come by this idea? :cup:

So, you've never tossed stones in a pond as a child?

Why Laurie, I toss stones in ponds as an adult. I particularly enjoying using a sling for the purpose. Nonetheless, that is no analog to the cosmological scale. :turtle: ;) :cup:

Turtle, didn't you notice that you could get almost any stone to skip, depending on the angle and speed of the throw, or weren't/aren't you allowed to play with sharp objects?