Science Forums

Craters on Earth and the other Planets

Harry Costas

A Summary:

What makes the program, Dino Meteor, particularly compelling is the interdisciplinary work employed to form a better model of the 'Great Dying' of 250 million years ago. What sets this extinction event apart from others is that it is estimated it killed off 99.9% of species on the planet, wheras other extinction events such as the Chicxulub era impact killed of fmore-or-less only 70% of all species.

What made the Antarctic impact of 250 million years ago unique is the size of the rock -estimated at 25 miles in diameter, moving 10 mps-, the resulting antipodal focusing creating a hot spot resulting in the Siberian traps eruptions (the largest known in the planets history) which caused global warming which drew oxygen out the oceans which allowed sulphur dioxide excreting bacteria to poison the oceans and then the land over a period of several million years and making condition ripe for the rise of the dinos.

That's a wrap. :) :cup:

I caught another program of interest on National Geographic Channel, and Mark Boslough is again a major contributor. The program is called Ancient Asteroid and is part of the Naked Science series. National Geographic Channel TV Schedule - Ancient Asteroid: Ancient Asteroid [TV-PG]

From a strange glass scarab on a necklace of King Tut, to a conclusion that a large space rock exploded in the air over SW Egypt 30 million years ago, the program carries off another nice example of interdisciplinary science. Like Tungusta, this is an apparent example of an impact that leaves no crater.

Off to find some specs on the site.

B)

Addendum: King Tuts glass beetle came from outer space - Times Online

What made the Antarctic impact of 250 million years ago unique is the size of the rock -estimated at 25 miles in diameter, moving 10 mps-, the resulting antipodal focusing creating a hot spot resulting in the (the largest known in the planets history) which caused global warming which drew oxygen out the oceans which allowed sulphur dioxide excreting bacteria to poison the oceans and then the land over a period of several million years and making condition ripe for the rise of the dinos.

That's a wrap. :Exclamati :thumbs_up

Hello Turtle,

It's good to see that the people involved with detecting dangerous asteroids are also researching what happens when one hits.

The book I referred to is actually called 'a journey through stone, The Chillagoe Story - the extraordinary history and geology of one of the richest mineral deposits in the world' by Ian Plimer.

Here's a quote. 'One of the biggest volcanic eruptions ever to occur on Earth happened in north Queensland around 280 million years ago, when some 2000 cubic kilometers of material erupted from the Featherbed volcano, located to the northeast of Chillagoe. By contrast, the 1981 eruption of Mount St Helens in Washington state, USA - which received enormous publicity - erupted 1.3 cubic kilometers of material.... The Featherbed eruption was highly explosive. Quartz rich rocks rose from great depth and, near the surface, a large amount of water dissolved in them. As the water rich molten rocks rose the last 3 kilometers through the crust to the surface, the water pressure in the rocks became far higher than pressure of the overlying rocks. The quartz rich melt became overpressurised, the overlying rocks failed and, with a decrease in the weight of the overlying rocks, the dissolved steam was catastrophically released from the molten rock.'

He also discusses meteorite impacts 368, 208 and 65 million years ago.

Another interesting point is that he uses a geological time frame (from 500 million years ago) on the side of each page (that can be seen from the edge of the book) and he also shows maps that place the Australian continent with respect to its current position.

And guess what Turtle, The Featherbed volcanic system was nearly a thousand miles away from the south pole (in Antarctica) between 250 and 220 million years ago!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Turtle,

One result of antipodal focusing of meteorite impacts (and the impacts themselves) could be our system of tectonic plates and their subsequent movements over time. This is where the differences between Earth and Mars could be able to shed some light on the matter (Mars presently has 1/3 Earths gravity)

If the Australian continent was on the south pole 250 million years ago, there would be nothing to stop a 25km asteroid from hitting an area that is now located at the south pole (Antarctica), causing antipodal focussing in an area that is currently located in siberia. The strike could have set into motion the train of events that led to the relocation of the strikes physical location via tectonic movements. This relocation is another matter that should be considered when investigating existing historic strikes.

Also, I have a DVD of the BBC's 'Sky at night' 50th anniversary show. I'll see what it has to say and get back.

Hi Turtle,

One result of antipodal focusing of meteorite impacts (and the impacts themselves) could be our system of tectonic plates and their subsequent movements over time. This is where the differences between Earth and Mars could be able to shed some light on the matter (Mars presently has 1/3 Earths gravity)

If the Australian continent was on the south pole 250 million years ago, there would be nothing to stop a 25km asteroid from hitting an area that is now located at the south pole (Antarctica), causing antipodal focussing in an area that is currently located in siberia. The strike could have set into motion the train of events that led to the relocation of the strikes physical location via tectonic movements. This relocation is another matter that should be considered when investigating existing historic strikes.

Also, I have a DVD of the BBC's 'Sky at night' 50th anniversary show. I'll see what it has to say and get back.

Good point. I wondered about that myself as I watched the program. They didn't address it directly, and I think I assumed they had corected for the plate movements as they did at one point show an animated breakup of several of the past supecontinents. I'll put that down as a question for Dr. Boslough next time I write.

Speaking of impactors skipping again, I have seen nothing to support it and quite a bit to not discount it. Have you seen this thread Laurie? >> http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/12526-carolina-bays.html

There is a link to a video from the recent geology conference down in Mexico. May we think any objects skipped during the event 12,900 years ago? Perhaps we may yet. :eek:

There is a link to a video from the recent geology conference down in Mexico. May we think any objects skipped during the event 12,900 years ago? Perhaps we may yet. :weather_storm:

Thanks Turtle,

The 'bang', if big enough, could send fragments at angles that could cause these particles to skip or roll along the surface. If you look at a high detail atlas of central Australia (the written details, i.e. saltwater/freshwater aren't on Google Earth) you will see many similar types of structures. The mixed up saltwater and freshwater lakes takes the cake.

I'll have a look at the video.

• 3 weeks later...
The principle researcher on the antipodal focusing is Mark Boslough of Sandia National Labs; he describes himself as an impact physicist and he works on the Asteroid Defense program.

Hello Turtle,

Talking about antipodal focussing (and I hope this isn't too off topic), have you noticed that the 'spawning' area, where many of the Hurricanes that enter the Carribbean seem to emmanate from, is antipodal to the spawning area where many of the Asian Typhoons come from?

This seems to indicate an external influence.

Hello Turtle,

Talking about antipodal focussing (and I hope this isn't too off topic), have you noticed that the 'spawning' area, where many of the Hurricanes that enter the Carribbean seem to emmanate from, is antipodal to the spawning area where many of the Asian Typhoons come from?

This seems to indicate an external influence.

i think the hurricanes have a good explanation in meteorolgy.

in the mean time, here's something new on craters on Earth & other planets. >> BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Space pile-up 'condemned dinos'

A colossal collision in space 160 million years ago set the dinosaurs on the path to extinction, a study claims.

An asteroid pile-up sent debris swirling around the Solar System, including a chunk that later smashed into Earth wiping out the great beasts.

Other fragments crashed into the Moon, Venus and Mars, gouging out some of their most dominant impact craters, a US-Czech research team believes.

maybe even accounts for the rock that carved out Crater del Tortuga Jorge in Chihuahua? :hihi: :turtle:

i think the hurricanes have a good explanation in meteorolgy. in the mean time, here's something new on craters on Earth & other planets. >> BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Space pile-up 'condemned dinos'

maybe even accounts for the rock that carved out Crater del Tortuga Jorge in Chihuahua? :( :headbang:

Hi Turtle,

I read the article last week and noted that they talked about the family of asteroids following the same path, but they didn't say about any other paths that may have arisen out of the colission. I wouldn't expect that the debris from a 170 km wide rock colliding with a 80 km wide rock would all go in the same general direction.

BTW, the other night I was watching TV, flicking through the channels, before going to bed and I saw a weather map on the Chinese news which had a cloud system like a hurricane/cyclone/typhoon that was very similar to a large question mark that had the curled bit twisted almost twice around. The thickness of the cloud in the spiral line equalled the thickness of the gaps between the lines of cloud. The strange thing is I flicked to our SBS news chanel and saw an Australian weather map with the exact same cloud structure. The cloud systems were of identical size (1000 km across) and the one in the Great Australian Bight was directly below the Chinese one. wierd

Hi Turtle,

I read the article last week and noted that they talked about the family of asteroids following the same path, but they didn't say about any other paths that may have arisen out of the colission. I wouldn't expect that the debris from a 170 km wide rock colliding with a 80 km wide rock would all go in the same general direction.

BTW, the other night I was watching TV, flicking through the channels, before going to bed and I saw a weather map on the Chinese news which had a cloud system like a hurricane/cyclone/typhoon that was very similar to a large question mark that had the curled bit twisted almost twice around. The thickness of the cloud in the spiral line equalled the thickness of the gaps between the lines of cloud. The strange thing is I flicked to our SBS news chanel and saw an Australian weather map with the exact same cloud structure. The cloud systems were of identical size (1000 km across) and the one in the Great Australian Bight was directly below the Chinese one. wierd

on the first paragraph, if the collsion was from behind, as in a rear-end auto collision, then the trajectory is more-or-less preserved. variances might account for wide separation in time between actual impacts vs. near-misses? good stuff to think about.

on the weather business, maybe we need another thread? such an antipodal coupling as you suggest would need ELF.VLF or some such? Yes/no? :D :P

on the weather business, maybe we need another thread? such an antipodal coupling as you suggest would need ELF.VLF or some such? Yes/no? :cup: :)

Hi Turtle,

I'm already ahead of you. I put 'Rogue Satellites and the Weather' in Earth Science. I'm just going to correct one aspect of my first post now.

http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/12799-rogue-satellites-weather.html#post189587