Science Forums

Remember-FX

fluid

Well i was wondering about the supplement called, Remember-FX, and what your guy's thoughts are on it...good or bad, i was thinking of trying it out...thanks!
According to the linked website, “Remember-FX” is ginseng extract. Its maker claim to have an improved manufacturing process with better controls than other ginseng extracts on the market. Many similar products make similar claims. Ginseng extracts have been around for thousands of years.

Ginseng - or, technically, the several pharmacologically active compounds in it – though not as well-studied as one would like, has been demonstrated to have several real therapeutic properties, including, as the website claims, increasing synaptic uptake of choline, which increases the amount of Acetylcholine in one’s synapses. As the website claims, several well-controlled studies have show that this typically has the effect of increasing people’s performance on memory tests (such as how many random words in a list one can remember). People with memory disorders, especially Alzheimer's disease, typically show the most dramatic improvements in memory

Ginseng is a stimulant. It’s major side effect is nervousness, inability to stay “calm and focused” and trouble sleeping – similar to that of coffee. Like most stimulant, ginseng use carries with it the risk that you’ll become dependent on it – that is, that you’ll feel tired and dull if you stop taking it, and feel compelled to resume taking it. Like most stimulants, it increases heart rate and blood pressure, so should only be taken without medical supervision by people who have no medical conditions related to the heart or circulatory system.

:QuestionM The question of whether ginseng will make you perform better on typical academic tests or thought-requiring tasks is more complicated than if it will improve you ability on memory tests. It can cause you to have problems concentrating – keeping your mind “on track”, offsetting any improvement in memory. Since these qualities vary between individuals, so does the effect of ginseng on overall mental performance.

:confused: In summary, I believe people who are interested in it should not be afraid to try a good-quality pure ginseng extract. These can be purchased at reasonable prices at nearly all vitamin and nutrition specialty stores, and many store pharmacies. If you find that it enhances your life, fine. If not, stop. If you’re prone to forming dependencies (eg: coffee, cigarettes), you may want to think twice about trying any new stimulant.

:) :thumbs_up Also, consider non-pharmaceutical techniques for improving your memory and other mental functions. Traditional relaxation and meditation techniques (eg: yoga) have been show in numerous scientific studies to be effective in this, as have the non-traditional techniques found in many “memory technique” books (eg: Dr. Gary Small’s ”The Memory Bible”).

:thumbs_do Although there’s little harm in trying them, I’d caution people to avoid regular use of alcohol-based ginseng tinctures. These are popular because the alcohol somewhat counteracts the stimulant side-effects of ginseng. Many are, however, strong alcoholic beverages, even though they are often sold as traditional medicines of dietary supplements. Becoming habituated to a drink that is both stimulant and alcoholic is not, IMHO, wise.

The question of whether ginseng will make you perform better on typical academic tests or thought-requiring tasks is more complicated than if it will improve you ability on memory tests. It can cause you to have problems concentrating – keeping your mind “on track”, offsetting any improvement in memory. Since these qualities vary between individuals, so does the effect of ginseng on overall mental performance.

Great post Craig. To add to your point, if one were perform a test after ingensting a substance such as ginseng, then they can maximize the benefit of that ginseng if they were to study for the test with ginseng in their system.

The idea here is context dependent learning, or more appropriately, context dependent recall. The idea is generally used in terms of locations/sounds/smells/etc (for example, if you can find a way to study in the room in which you'll take the test, and even in the exact chair, that will help - Just don't let them think you're pencilling in answers to the chair's arm :) ), but it works also for what foods and fluids you've ingested.

Study taking ginseng? Then test taking ginseng if you want to maximize the effect. If you study drinking milk, then drink milk while testing. That's the point. :) Ginseng just offers the added benefit of being a neurostimulant.

My old psychopharmacology teacher used to tell us college party-goers... "If you drink and drive, at least do it all the time so you get better at it." I, however, would not advocate that, and am pretty sure he'd ingested a few too many chemicals in his day anyway.

His more P.C. example was "If you study for a test underwater, then take the test underwater." :D

haha

thanks for the replys everyone, im going to think about it a little more

now for the reason WHY i want to try it..

well last year in schol, id be in class for about half of the length, and id basically ace the tests, and i remember alot of the info without really trying; this year its just werid, on tests i make stupid mistakes because i forget things, i freeze up on tests, and i dont get things as easy, I KNOW this sounds really really werid...buts it true, reason being im pissing myself off now b/c i know im capable of so much more, but its hard now. Maybe it could be just a mental thing where i think im doing bad so i am, but i doubt it....well thats my story lol.

thx again

Best bet is to develop alternative methods to aid memory and recall (and there are many out there that work to varying degrees, the aim is to find out what works for your mind-set; for me it's imagery, songs and dirty mneomics), don't put your reliance in some substance that some company is trying to flog.Far too unreliable, not nearly as much fun.

Drink some coffee

Write some amusing songs

Don't trust the new class "neurotrophic" drugs - Let some other monkey try it for a good decade or two first....

Oh, and actually reading about this Remember FX from a medically trained point of view

No adverse effects of REMEMBER-fX are observed in laboratory studies when given at 650 times higher than the recommended dose at one time and 17 times higher than the recommended dose for 18 days. In clinical studies and for usage in the general population, adverse effects have also not been associated with REMEMBER-fX intake. Although there are no known interactions with drugs, herbs, or disease conditions, individuals with a serious medical condition or taking other medications should consult a physician before taking REMEMBER-fX.As REMEMBER-fX is a derivative of North American ginseng, those with known allergies or sensitivities to ginseng should avoid consumption.

Okay, this is crap.

1) An 18 day follow up study for side effects.... Would you trust that for a guarentee!

2) HOW MANY people did they test that on, what was there background, study population characteristics etc.,. For all we know 3 people took too much for 18 days (and then 2 months later were admitted to a psyc unit)

3) There is not a drug in the world with no side effects

4) This claims to increase ACh. Well, lets see what the side effects are in the same class of drugs we use in dementia (these side effects have emerged from large scale clinical trials and studies involving thousands of individuals (who are DEFICIT in Ach))

* upset stomach

* vomiting

* loss of appetite

* stomach pain

* weight loss

* diarrhea

* weakness

* dizziness

* headache

* extreme tiredness

* lack of energy

* tremor

* constipation

* increased sweating

* difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep

* confusion

* runny nose

* fainting

* black and tarry stools

* red blood in stools

* bloody vomit

* vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds

* difficulty urinating

* seizures

* depression

* anxiety

* hearing voices or seeing things that do not exist (hallucinating)

Wouldn't touch it with your bargepole, however if you want to be a monkey no-ones stopping you (just try searching for vioxx before you decide to start taking anything)

well last year in schol, id be in class for about half of the length, and id basically ace the tests, and i remember alot of the info without really trying; this year its just werid, on tests i make stupid mistakes because i forget things, i freeze up on tests, and i dont get things as easy, I KNOW this sounds really really werid...buts it true, reason being im pissing myself off now b/c i know im capable of so much more, but its hard now

May be the main reason is that you are not sleeping enough, a news report in New Scientist, 23 Sept 2006 edition has reported that having sufficient sleep can indeed help in cases similar to yours.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10138-snooze-your-way-to-high-test-scores.html

well ive think ive found the problem, it was just me stressing myself out, i gave it alot of thought and id say its just me being lazy and then stressing out, which just clouded up my mind with a bunch of stuff

thx for all the help guys, im glad i didnt go the otherway

1) An 18 day follow up study for side effects.... Would you trust that for a guarentee!

2) HOW MANY people did they test that on, what was there background, study population characteristics etc.,. For all we know 3 people took too much for 18 days (and then 2 months later were admitted to a psyc unit)

3) There is not a drug in the world with no side effects

4) This claims to increase ACh. Well, lets see what the side effects are in the same class of drugs we use in dementia (these side effects have emerged from large scale clinical trials and studies involving thousands of individuals (who are DEFICIT in Ach))...

I have a few concerns about PsyCho's post. First, the study indicated they tested over consumption of 17 times the recommended dose for an 18 day period, not an 18 day follow up. Second, clinical trials are much more intensive then what PsyCho suggests, especially if you want Health Canada and the FDA to approve the product (which they have). Third, Remember-Fx is not branded or marketed as a drug or cure for anything, it is a dietary supplement with potential benefits. Finally, the ingredients are naturally occurring extracts from herbs. They are not synthetic compounds like the over-the-counter presciptions available for dementia. Natural plant extracts utilize the toxins within the plants defense system to achieve an effect. Some of these are desireable: like caffeine, cannabinoids, and ginsing; others not so desireable: like poison ivy. Some people may like the effects, some may not. But they do not have the long term (and sometimes fatal) negative effects associated with traditional drugs, with exception to possible dependency, which isn't healthy no matter what it is.

Having said this, I tried Remember-Fx. I thought maybe it will help my studies. (After all, Cold-Fx has kept me flu-free for 2 years running, and Cell-Fx has eased my knee pain from sports injuries.) It is definately a stimulant, but it didn't help me concentrate any better, and I haven't seen any notable changes in my grades. It just kept me awake a little longer. Also, I seemed to crash pretty hard after the effect wore off. So for what it's worth, it didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for everybody. And I wouldn't be afraid of trying it if you think it may benefit you.

CV Technologies, the producers of the -Fx brands, are dedicated to researching NATURAL remedies, which I find honorable. They are pretty much taking traditional Eastern and Aboriginal remedies that are effective and safer than synthetic Western medication and packaging it to our quick-fix consumer needs.