Science Forums

Questions ...

hey

sorry for the long delay.

Q 1 ) ok i may appear ignorant but how exactly does the twins paradox contradict Albert's theaory ? would be nice if some one could explain me this word to word...

Q 2 ) can helicopters move fully horizontally . if yes how ?

Q 3 ) i am stuck making a project of an erupting volcano

well heres how i will make the liquid gush out

i will just mix baking soda and vinegar

but heres the hard part

my instructor says that he wants smoke coming out of the volcano

is it possible ? if yes what is the most economical way of doing so

thats it for now

thanks

The Black Alchemist

1) do a hypography search, it's been discussed many times here in detail, try paradox, twin's paradox, relativity, any of these should have some info on it.

2) well, they can spin, that is horizontal movement. They can tilt and move directly forward without moving up and down, that is horizontal movement (and if they can do that then sure they can move side to side). When you say horizontal do you mean that they wouldn't be allowed to tilt in the direction they want to move? If yes, then they can only spin on an axis to accomplish horizontal movement.

3) Rather than baking soda and vinegar you could use a bit of dry ice and some water (for smoke effect), and a 2-liter bottle of soda and some mints (I think menthos or something like that work best but you'd have to check the inet.)

The Mentos and Diet Coke episode of Mythbusters was on last night, and my kid will tell you that:

1) Its the Aspartame in the Diet Coke that contributes the most to the reaction

2) Its the little pits on the surface of the Mento that causes "nucleation" so you have to make sure to avoid the coated Mentos.

So, sanctus, no, regular Coke is much less spectacular, and yes Craig, more Mentos mean more surface area which means more reaction faster.

I reject your reality and substitute my own,

Buffy

Thanks Buffy, but it's Chad, not Craig.

: )

Didn't know it was the aspartame that improved the reaction. I know that the reaction results in the rapid release of CO2 stored in the fizz of the pop.

I wonder what chemical role aspartame plays in releasing it. Does this reaction not work at all for regular Coke (the drink).

Except for delivery. The reaction starts so quickly that the crushed bits would probably be pushed back out before the reaction really got under way.

Delivery is key. That's why putting in more than one is so hard. The violent reaction begins and the second mentos rarely gets into the soda. Thus my suggestion to glue two together, possibly with some sort of weight to get it to go right to the bottom.