Science Forums

How freaked out do you wanna be

djemboy2

hi all

a while back i was having a discussion with a friend about reality, and we got really deep, from that conversation came this idea, sit comfortably and relax, this bit might seem a little strange but if you achieve it believe me it WILL freak you out, stare forward but concentrate on the back of your head, if you get it right you get this overwhelming sense of nothing, i then started thuinking that we all take our surroundings for granted, for instance, the room you are in right now reading this, is your entire world, think about it, how do you know anything is actually outside, walk thru a door of a room and close it behind you, how do you know the room is still there, look at a building, how do you know that there is anything on the other side, look at your own arm, how do you know that you have blood vessels and bone, you cant see them, unless you open up your arm(not advisable), the point is that we live in a world we take for granted, and yet we believe what we are told, how do you know there are 6 billion people in the world, on any one day i bet you dont meet more than a 100 different or new people.

Makes you wonder doesnt it

Michael

Hi Michael, and welcome to Hypo.

What you're describing here is simply "Does a tree falling in a forest make a sound?" to the n'th power. Sure - you could put a tape recorder near the tree and record the sound it makes in the absence of any witnesses. And you will have a sound recording of a tree falling in the forest actually making a noise. But this is not to say that the tape recorder actually existed at the time - it might have disappeared when you left it and went and recorded something else!

What you're saying, is that only *your* experiences are *real*. And this is fair enough, there's no way possible to prove that there's anything behind a building unless you walk around it. But walk around it, and you will see the back. So, meditating on whether anything exists outside of your own personal experience is pretty pointless, I'd say - all respects to the Zen guys out there. And this is simply because you don't have to wonder whether Greenland exist or not; you can actually today buy a flight ticket there and verify it for yourself.

Empirically,

Boerseun.

Very true, but once you arrive in greenland, how do you know that where you left is still there, anyway nice to make your aquaintance.....or have i?

Easy! Leave your answering machine on at home, and then phone it from Greenland! You could ask how to be sure that it is your answering machine you're talking to, but once you get home you can replay the message. It still doesn't disprove that it was the CIA all along, however...

the point is that we live in a world we take for granted, and yet we believe what we are told...

If you'll allow, I'd like to clarify that this is your point of view. In your mind's eye, the world is taken for granted, but to say that everyone falls into this category would be inaccurate.

Do many people take the world for granted? Absolutely.

Can we change the way those people recognize things? Sort of, but it's up to them ultimately.

All you can do is guarentee to yourself that you will not take things for granted. That you will walk through the grocery store and look at a piece of fruit and realize that it took a produce clerk to bring it from the cooler to the shelf, and a receiving clerk to bring it from the truck to the cooler, and a truck driver to bring it from the warehouse to the store, and a farmer to bring from their land to the warehouse and care for the plants and cultivate them, and a machinist to perfect the tractor they used, and a driver to bring fuel for that tractor, and an engineer to design it, and a computer programmer to design the tools for the engineer, and a floor worker in the fab to oversee the chip production in the computer they used and a janitor to keep the area clean and a cafeteria worker to feed the worker and give them energy and...

...and if just one of them noticed this all and smiled when they picked up that piece of fruit, the world would change.

Cheers Michael. :eek:

...and if you want to take the above argument full circle, then the guy supervising chip production for the design computer etc. etc. has to buy the fruit at the start of the cycle in order to have energy to do what he does so there can ultimately be fruit in the shop...

Cycles... if that guy didn't eat the apple, the apple wouldn't be there. How's that for a thought? :hihi: