Science Forums

Help !!! Virus blast beat me up...

CHADS

Hey guys ...

Managed to get beaten up by my first virus the other day ..... it disabled all my norton firewall and even windows security centre virus protection ..... which can no longer update security.

i also recieved new microsoft authentification activation messages ... which are probably nothing just coinside with the attack.

i reinstalled norton but it wont allow auto protect

My avast ..that i use for boot time scans can no longer access the net for updates... and most other things cant ... i can only access the net when my firewall is down.

But the biggest problem i see is that my wireless connection says at the bottom of the screen that it has detected wireless networks but when i refresh to list these wireless networks it reads there are none to be found .

i use my brothers netgear which always on .. and status on my poot says it is enabled and sending/recieving with excellent strength .. but says on my veiw wireless networks .. none in range ... i can access when i physically plug in to netgear but my wireless must of been neutralised by the virus although my adaptor says it is working fine.

And finally .. my norton firewall once it had been reinstalled wont let anything get out and when i search for internet accesible programs through norton ... it scans for them but lists nothing... icant permit anything because it finds nothing ... i think the trojan was zlob ........ im wondering if you guys would know what was disabled and how could i reactivate these items ... i can only assume that my firewall and wireless have taken such a Meticulous Beating and it is know very difficult for me to access the net with an efficiant fire wall.

im no expert not even a novice but im thinking maybe it has disabled something that attaches to the adapter and through to my ports ... it may be a port problem .

help me obi one konobi ...your my only hope ..... :kiss:

god speed

please

Pretending to know what to do .. ive used demo virus software to find the locations then removed them from the registry manually ... i can now use norton firewall again whilst on line.

I also installed windows xp professional next to my home edition but havnt installed all of the drivers yet ...

My main problem is that my wireless adaptor dosnt even show up as found hardware on my laptop .... new xp pro , but does show up on xp home edition.

If i could find local network i could download everything i need straight onto the xp pro but i have to use my brothers flash stick to transfer

On home edition it states

WIRELESS NETWORKS FOUND

then i click on the icon and it says

NO NETWORKS DETECTED please refresh

cant find any but they are there

device manager finds my atheros wireless card so it must be there

but xp proffesional cant find the hardware to configure ...

Strange goings on ... i might open her up and see if its become dislodged ...

if i could see the network on my refresh network list im home free but nothing.

What Bother .. i only found out today that you can have two different windows on the laptop.

Stumped!!!:lol: