Science Forums

Removing 1% of Earth's Water

alxian

The asteroids and other small objects like at the Lagrange points of Jupiter could be enough material to make tens of thousands of colony worlds, maybe even 100's of thousands. There Carbon content would be the limiting factor.

The limiting factor for food growth, and then life sustainablility right?

Totally different thing, Microbes on the Earth are practically our twins compared to what life on Mars would be. It would be highly unlikely even if Mars had complex life forms for any disease organisms to be able to infect us. this has been discussed in other threads in this site.

Could you point me to these threads?

Terra forming Mars would take thousands of years, in the same time period we could make tens of thousands of artificial colonies. mars might be colonized but Terra forming it would be a different and probably overwhelming proposition when Artificial colonies with open air and lots of room would be readily available. when faced with the choice of living under ground in warrens with no open air or places to go, an artificial colony might be very alluring.

I still think this topic is up for debate, consider the possibility of an artificial magnetic field

coupled with additional heat and atmoshere.

The limiting factor for food growth, and then life sustainablility right?

No, carbon would a major manufacturing material. toroidal colonies would be like continuous suspension bridges, Carbon Nano tubes would be the strongest material to make the cables from. This would limit the actual size of the toruses and the artificial gravity made by spinning them.

Could you point me to these threads?

I still think this topic is up for debate, consider the possibility of an artificial magnetic field

coupled with additional heat and atmoshere.

I have no doubt it could be done, it would just take thousands of years to do it.

Totally different thing, Microbes on the Earth are practically our twins compared to what life on Mars would be. It would be highly unlikely even if Mars had complex life forms for any disease organisms to be able to infect us. this has been discussed in other threads in this site.

After a few minuits of thinking about it, I see the argument. If we do not neccisarily

get the same infections as say parvo in a dog. Then the different structure of the DNA on Mars

may not be able to multiply itself within our specific DNA pattern.

No, carbon would a major manufacturing material. toroidal colonies would be like continuous suspension bridges, Carbon Nano tubes would be the strongest material to make the cables from. This would limit the actual size of the toruses and the artificial gravity made by spinning them.

So you are saying that the CNT process would be that important, especially for

artificial gravity. That would put a limit on how many colonies. Although couldn't we just expand each one, propotionally, to ensure a stable level of atrificial gravity.

Considering the size isn't the issue, its the rate of deltaV that creates the artificial

gravity.

I was at a presentation for using this same concept for asteroid and space debris

removal. The basic idea was to have a dense object, teather, and net.

Let the asteroid hit the net, causing spin in relation to the dense object.

Then, depending on the spin, release the object from the net, giving it enough deltaV to

change its trajectory to a more useful and safe point.