Science Forums

Homosexual marriages?

Boerseun

There are actually a number of other legal benifits of married couples Southtown.

Some related to insurance (death benifits, child custody, etc) others to property. So while I agree with you that the government should distance itself from marraige, there are civil regulations that are mixed up in the issue.

None of which should be, IMO.

At the risk of drifting onto the topic of the thread, the difficulty comes yet again from intermixing religio-cultural criteria with secular law.

Precisely. The problem people have with the government redefining marriage is that the government didn't define it in the first place.

As another angle on the story:

Back in Egyptian and Roman times, it was common practice for the Head of State (the Pharaoh or Ceasar) to have a kid (or kids) with his sister or mother in order to ensure the purity of the next ruler's blood.

I will go and do some research on this, but I can't remember any cases of birth defects amongst the ruler's offspring.

This might be an attempt at a scientific justification for one of our deepest societal taboos. But it's not to say that its true, though.

As another angle on the story:

Back in Egyptian and Roman times, it was common practice for the Head of State (the Pharaoh or Ceasar) to have a kid (or kids) with his sister or mother in order to ensure the purity of the next ruler's blood.

I will go and do some research on this, but I can't remember any cases of birth defects amongst the ruler's offspring.

This might be an attempt at a scientific justification for one of our deepest societal taboos. But it's not to say that its true, though.

It is true; so say I.:) The Wicky article I linked earlier has a section under inbreeding on royalty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding#Royalty_and_nobility

Then we have gargle or your search engine of choice:

Web Search ResultsResults 1 - 10 of about 2,360 for inbreeding in royalty

Folks is gettin' busy, that's apparent ( a parent; get it? :cup: )