Science Forums

Challenge for Thinkers, Designers and creative individuals.

I would like to make a video game.

I intend to start the design of this game here, on Hypography and I would like to do this with the help of others, the more the marrier. No experience required, and all who apply will be concidered.

Now here's the first part of the challenge. What would one expect of this game? What would you like to see in the game?

I intend to walk through the methods of writing a game design. I would prefer not to do it all myself, and so I have soliticted advice, expertise, and co-authorship here. I want to go through it stage by stage and write up, communially a production grade Game Proposal Document and a Plan to Implement.

I am new to this, only really have a book to guide me and what has been said to me by people more versed in this than myself. So anything one might have to say on this would be appreciated.

It would be great and I would love to do something like this. But for a start if you want a 3D game that looks ok and has all the proper physics implemented, it would take a lot of learning, patience and time! Not saying we couldnt do it, but im not sure exactly sure you know what your in for.

Here is what I expect at current:

The Design Process:

The design process is a series of steps followed by designers, architects and some system designers. It is part of the GCSE curriculum in a number of subjects. Typical stages of the design process include:

* Design brief - a statement of the task at hand

* Analysis (systems design) - analysis of current system

* Research - investigating similar products in the field or related topics

* Specification - detailed definitions of what exactly the product must do

* Conceptual Design - presentation of solutions

* Development - continuation and improvement of one solution

* Testing (systems design) - in-situ testing of the system

* Implementation (systems design) - introducing the design into the environment

* Evaluation & conclusion - summary of process, including constructive criticism and suggestions for future improvements

Some of these stages may be ignored in real-world situations in order to save time, or because they are redundant in the situation.

Game Inception.

For this my current resources are The Big Model, The System Does Matter, and GNS.

Paradigm Choice:

Object Oriented Programming

Procedurial Programming

Others...

[/Quote]

That is without pulling out my book. It's late now, so I'll rest on this and wait for more feedback.

I'm interested in Game Design/Programming myself, and there's a lot of work, depending on how large/complicated you want this game to be.

What do you think needs to be done to build this game, start to finish?

First, you need to flesh out exactly what you want the game to be - nearly every screen, every idea, every action, every possible outcome needs to be accounted for, from the first screen the user sees as they load up the game, through playing the game, through saving the game and exiting the game. The more detailed everything can be, the better. I would recommend a small, simple game that is not graphics intensive.

Programming the game can take a long time, but this can be sped up to a degree by paying a lot of attention to the first step, and understanding exactly what you want the game to do under every condition. Documentation is important here, so that you can go back to code and understand not only what it does, but why it does it the way it does, and what you were thinking when you wrote it.

Testing the game can also take a long time, as it goes back and forth from being tested to being fixed. Resist the urge here to fix problems as you find them. You should go through the entire game, find as many problems as you can, and only then start to fix them. This reduces the potential for "fixing problems" that cause others that won't be caught as easily.

I'd be interested in working with you, if I can find some time. Do you have a clear idea of what you want? Remember, you won't be able to develop a Half-Life. You don't have the budget to do that, so play to your strengths. Intense graphics, rag-doll physics, and expansive boards may be beyond your means, but good gameplay and fun are not.

Half-Life Mods - top

Title Author Submitted / Updated Description

Battleground Unknown 2000-08-28 00:00:00/06-03-2002 This mod includes new weapons and bots.

[bND] MOD V1.2 [bND]SNIPA 2000-09-09 00:00:00/06-03-2002 This mod use the best and funniest weapons made by various people and is compiled together using the...

Field of View - Half-life Sniper - 1.0 Shady Milk... 2001-03-30 00:00:00/06-04-2002 Ever wanted to play a sniper mod in half-life? Now you can!=========================================...

Spud Gun Mod v1.2a Installer SGM Team 2001-11-12 00:00:00/04-23-2003 Half-Life modification that replaces conventional lead with high velocity carrots and potatos. Plus ...

Spud Gun Mod v1.1 Linux Server SGM Team 2001-07-31 00:00:00/06-04-2002 Linux server for the Spud Gun Mod v1.1

PS07 Mod 1.7B Raxel 2004-02-19 00:00:00/08-28-2006 PS07 is a great weapons mod thet features over 50 well balanced weapons. This particular version req...

PS07 Mod 2.6A Raxel 2004-02-19 00:00:00/08-28-2006 PS07 is an old, but very fun HL weapons mod. This particular version can be played singleplayer and ...

Surprise! Mod Raxel 2004-02-19 00:00:00/08-28-2006 "Surprise is a PS07 minimod that features all the HL weapons that can have different "/View.php?view...

Half-Life - weapon models/skins BulletGT40 2005-08-31 00:00:00/08-31-2005 Want some better looking weapons? Well, you are in luck! This contains a gathering of my favorite we...

Arg! The Pirates Strike Back The Arg! T... 2000-09-29 00:00:00/02-25-2004 This is a fun and funny mod for Half-Life. Play in this funny 3D cartoonish pirate game as a swashbu...

Military Assault BETA 2.1 (full install) Johan Lenn... 2000-11-20 00:00:00/06-04-2002 The newest version of this MOD for Half-Life based on teams with new weapons, models and maps.This M...

Amckerns Explosion Wars amckern 2002-08-20 00:00:00/08-20-2002 Explosive products galore, this mod for half life was the fastest made mod, with 6 hours total time ...

B-dream Beta DarkLight ... 2002-09-09 00:00:00/09-09-2002 First level of the upcomming Mod Halflife Barneys Dream, for public beta test.

NULL

Half-Life: Escape Christoph 2002-11-10 00:00:00/11-10-2002 A small Half-live Mod. You are Prof. West and must leave the Black Mesa Facility.You are Prof. West ...

Discoman Mod Jérôme Gos... 2002-12-06 00:00:00/04-19-2004 This is a mod for Half-Life based on the Afro'd Discoman player model. The mod is full of humor and ...

Evil Barney Mod Botched Ga... 2003-07-18 00:00:00/07-18-2003 A Halflife mod created by Botched gaming in a matter of minutes. A hilarious outcome by changing a c...

Leave No Man Behind Map Concept LNMB TEAM 2003-08-12 00:00:00/08-12-2003 This shows off the mod Leave No Man Behind map video.This shows off the mod Leave No Man Behind mods...

Goofy Half-Life GHL Team 2004-03-29 00:00:00/03-29-2004 Are you bored with all these mods about realism and ever just wanted to get frags in the goofiest wa...

Barney DM Classic Mod Garglet 2004-04-15 00:00:00/08-28-2006 A Half-Life mod featuring some funny stuff with everyones favorite guard, Barney."this is just a bet...

MWGS Sniper Clan HL Mod Pack "Snipernin... 2004-07-09 00:00:00/07-09-2004 This mod pack for Half-Life contains several maps, models and other good stuff.This mod pack has sev...

Ok so this step is called Conceptualization. This is my original concept based on past projects that I have attempted to administrate, without much success due to lack of know how, experience and educational resources.

In this stage we come up with the idea and/or we assign it purpose. My Idea is a First Person RPG. The theme is that the character's choices change the world they live in. This would be accomplished by an alignment-dialog-action-growth engine, which I will call for now the Fate Engine. Your choices would affect aspects of the game, and would be one of the motivating sources for events in the game.

The game would operate on a dialated time scale, so that a minute in game is analogous to a compressed time width in reality. The whole of the game would be played, even sleep. While in sleep you would be taken to various lands beyond the conscious mind, like the sandlands of dream, and the bogs of nightmare. There you would play the game as if you were awake, but it would be more effected by your character's waking descissions. The landscape also would correspond to your apparent mood. Once again the Fate engine would handle this aspect of the game.

The AI would be double layered at least. Personal and Social AI. The Social AI would operate through a Third Person Type interface, and would help refine the actions of the NPCs making up it's influenced individuals. The Personal AI would operate through a similar interface as that which the player uses, though perhaps simplified. The overall effect would be a dynamic enviroment, driven by motivations of the AI and it's responce to other AI entities, and the player(s) themselves.

The purpose of all this is to build an integrated engine that writes a story based on the player and the initial conditions, building on cause and effect. That allows for a flowing, breathing enviroment that reacts to the individual's effects upon it. potentially allowing for unforseen outcomes and surprise endings.

Additionally, it would be possible with the dream aspect to create a death aspect, where in the character upon dying can make a number of choices based upon their fate.

For Example: Resurrect (like Jesus, or Lazurus), Revive (like a Zombie), Haunt (like a Ghost), Pass on (Go onto your Afterlife), Transcend(Become part of reality AKA the Fate Engine for future individuals), Negate(Meet oblivion and remove your existence from the fabric of reality)

The AI of the game would have an agenda based on it's needs. Each person would have their own set of needs based on their stats, and together they would help determine the needs of the Social AI.

This is just my Idea, so I am willing to hear others and do critize, scrutinize, analyze and discuss. If there is a better way, or a better Idea I want to hear it, and want to concider it at the very least.

what ever happened to the maps you where doing for the prophesy?

There is a difference between modding and using an engine yeah? I would think you would be more limited when modding, but i guess its another option.

Now that I have a keyboard working again;

The maps for the prophecy were completed, and I had a major issue occur within the map and things got very frustrating!!!

Also the physics didnt work very well, so I had to make things into circular rooms with ladders to change 'rings'

it was still all good, and i appologize if you have went out and gotten counter-strike running and no map to enjoy. I just realised that, that might of happened :lol:

So I will make a map again, as long as it has purpose. Is anyone else able to do so?

PS-I got into an accident on the ship and have been in sick bay with 'accomma' dont be afraid to jetison me out the ejection bay if I end up taking up precious supplies.

As for the making of a game.

Half-Life Modding has become quite regular. There are alot of programs out there that help you along for maps, models, and code.

You have first person, and 3rd person abilities. I have seen many versions of mods, so it appears you have alot of freedom. It doesnt have to be at all a first person shooter.

In my opinion, as others said starting from scratch is almost impossible for average joe. If you want a realistic approach it is taking engines and modding game structure.

Several amateurs have done this and have ended up with incredible mods!

I suggest you review and browse through the half-life mods, and even the half-life 2 mods (the most amazing game software recently). I think they have released the game source for HL2.

Anyhow, I am sure there are other open games and communities out there, its just half-life has been the leader in this area for a long time, and there is endless support for tackling probjects identicle to this clown.

Here is a bit of a preview of the modding capabilities.

Half-Life: Natural Selection

While you could call it a total conversion, at it’s core it’s much more then that. It defines a whole new genre. A first person shoot real time-strategy hybrid. A FPSRTS, if you will. Sounds confusing? No kidding.

Natural Selection is a Half-Life modificiation that blends first-person combat with real-time strategy. It features intense 'marines vs. aliens' teamplay, where one marine can become Commander. The Commander plays from a top-down perspective and leads live players.

Graphical Perspective:

Natural Selection is, quite simply, a beautiful game. While it seems impossible to push the ancient Half-life engine up to today’s standards, Natural Selection comes darn close. It’s particle effect system, high-detail .wad files, exceptional models, and excellent map geometry prove that any engine can produce beautiful environments given the proper tutelage.

screen shots: http://halflife2.filefront.com/screenshots/File/50328/1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Half-Life_mod Science and Industry:

Science and Industry is a teamplay mod for Half-Life, in which players assume the role of Security Officer in one of two rival corporations striving for domination in the cutthroat world of chemical and weapons research and development.

As security officer, it is your job to acquire and protect your company's most valuable human resources -- scientists. Scientists conduct research and develop new products, bringing your company profit. Conveniently, the products your company's scientists develop take the form of new weapons that you and your fellow security officers can use to pound the other company into submission. Your company needn't be happy just letting its small staff of scientists toil away at new developments when there are plenty more scientist resources ripe for the picking at the competition. Stealing scientists from your rivals is a great way to boost productivity and keep those new weapons coming, but of course, your competition has the same tactic in mind. So defending your company's scientists is just as important as "finding" new ones. Of course, the vagaries of particle physics are difficult to ponder in the middle of a firefight, so if you expect your scientists to be productive, you'd better keep the fight as far from them as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hl2mods.co.uk/

http://www.empiresmod.com/info.php

So anyway, there is quite a bit you can get away with for HL mods.

In my opinion online games have become the new thing. Combining multiplayer with your game ideas would be interesting.

And if you do choose this route, I'd like to help. I have god some experience with this area.