Science Forums

Russia could 'blind' the US by taking out satellites using a nuclear space weapon, says ex-CIA chief

Vmedvil

It seems Russia could "Blind" the US by taking out satellites using nuclear space weapons according to ex-CIA Chief, read more at Russia Could 'Blind' US With Nuclear Space Weapon: Ex-CIA Director (businessinsider.com)

Do you think that Russia has the capability to put nuclear weapons in space and if so, do you think they will do it? Secondly, do you think NATO should deploy the same sort of space nuclear weapons to counter Russia and China?

Edited by Vmedvil

3 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

It seems Russia could "Blind" the US by taking out satellites using nuclear space weapons according to ex-CIA Chief, read more at Russia Could 'Blind' US With Nuclear Space Weapon: Ex-CIA Director (businessinsider.com)

Do you think that Russia has the capability to put nuclear weapons in space and if so, do you think they will do it? Secondly, do you think NATO should deploy the same sort of space nuclear weapons to counter Russia and China?

Everyone who has nukes can deploy them in space, this is not a new idea and is very easy to do. Use of such a weapon would result in a massive retaliation by nuclear weapons from the US and our allies. Such a weapon is useless due to this fact, this is still a case of two men standing in a pool of gasoline arguing over who has the most matches.

Yes, use of such a weapon would have bad effects on conventional weapons and the sensors used to direct them (even though most are hardened against such an attack) but nuclear weapon targets are already locked in before launch. An EM pulse would have no effect on hardened bombers or bases, submarines, or ICBMs.

Such an EM pulse would have no effect on the accuracy of our missiles and Russia would have to be insane not to know this.  Both Russia and China have shown themselves to be hot beds of corruption in their military. Much of the money allocated to building and maintaining their weapons has instead gone into the pockets of their oligarchs (something we should be watching for in our own military) much to the detriment of of the military and its readiness.

Russia is getting its *** kicked as i write this by a small nation that the US could have paved over in a few days if the tables had been turned. Russia and China are bullies who have deteriorated into shadows of themselves while still trying to convince the world they are still relevant... they are only agents of chaos now and they know it so bluffing like they still have power is all they really have. 

Edited by Moontanman

On 2/15/2024 at 11:01 PM, Moontanman said:

Everyone who has nukes can deploy them in space, this is not a new idea and is very easy to do. Use of such a weapon would result in a massive retaliation by nuclear weapons from the US and our allies. Such a weapon is useless due to this fact, this is still a case of two men standing in a pool of gasoline arguing over who has the most matches.

Yes, use of such a weapon would have bad effects on conventional weapons and the sensors used to direct them (even though most are hardened against such an attack) but nuclear weapon targets are already locked in before launch. An EM pulse would have no effect on hardened bombers or bases, submarines, or ICBMs.

Such an EM pulse would have no effect on the accuracy of our missiles and Russia would have to be insane not to know this.  Both Russia and China have shown themselves to be hot beds of corruption in their military. Much of the money allocated to building and maintaining their weapons has instead gone into the pockets of their oligarchs (something we should be watching for in our own military) much to the detriment of of the military and its readiness.

I agree with all of what you wrote above.

Russia is getting its *** kicked as i write this by a small nation that the US could have paved over in a few days if the tables had been turned. Russia and China are bullies who have deteriorated into shadows of themselves while still trying to convince the world they are still relevant... they are only agents of chaos now and they know it so bluffing like they still have power is all they really have. 

I am not at all sure that the USA would fare any better in a conventional war with Ukraine, than the Russians.

If we let history be the judge, I think history backs what I think about this. We got our asses kicked by a small country called N.Vietnam. It is said that our military never lost on the battlefield, but there is little doubt that we lost that war. My read of history is that the average US citizen could see no valid reason for us to be spending blood and treasure on a war in a little banana republic that most people had never heard of. Finally, Kissinger's peace agreement in Paris basically sold out to the N. Vietnamese, and our hasty retreat commenced with newsreel after newsreel showing helicopters trying to land on flight decks, while other helicopters were thrown overboard. It was a disgrace for the mighty US military that won WWII by fighting seriously big battles against both Nazi Germany and the Imperial Japanese Army, Navy and Air Forces.

More recently, our military easily rolled up Iraq's National Guard, deposed and hung Saddam Hussein, then made the mistake of trying to make Iraq a democratic country in our own image. Once the Iraqi people turned against us, the end result was predictable: another embarrassing withdrawal, leaving Iran to pick up all the spilled chips and come away as the big winner. Win the battles and lose the war, again.

Need I add Afghanistan to the list? We laughed at the Russians getting their asses kicked, and helped play a significant role in their defeat. Then what do we do? Make the same mistakes as the Russians and finally hand over the country to the Taliban, leaving them with enough weaponry to be a real threat to US interests in the Middle East for years to come.

How would we fare in the Ukraine? Without strong political will, which is presently sorely lacking, we would not only lose, but we would force the Ukraine into an alliance with the Russians. No doubt we would also leave behind some very sophisticated high tech weaponry and air defense missile systems to bolster the Russian military.

Personally, I think we should defend our own borders before we even concern ourselves with any other country's borders. That is not a political statement, but it is a statement of fact and common sense.

I write all of the above as a patriotic USA citizen and ex-military officer.

4 minutes ago, OceanBreeze said:

I agree with all of what you wrote above.

I am not at all sure that the USA would fare any better in a conventional war with Ukraine, than the Russians.

If we let history be the judge, I think history backs what I think about this. We got our asses kicked by a small country called N.Vietnam. It is said that our military never lost on the battlefield, but there is little doubt that we lost that war. My read of history is that the average US citizen could see no valid reason for us to be spending blood and treasure on a war in a little banana republic that most people had never heard of. Finally, Kissinger's peace agreement in Paris basically sold out to the N. Vietnamese, and our hasty retreat commenced with newsreel after newsreel showing helicopters trying to land on flight decks, while other helicopters were thrown overboard. It was a disgrace for the mighty US military that won WWII by fighting seriously big battles against both Nazi Germany and the Imperial Japanese Army, Navy and Air Forces.

More recently, our military easily rolled up Iraq's National Guard, deposed and hung Saddam Hussein, then made the mistake of trying to make Iraq a democratic country in our own image. Once the Iraqi people turned against us, the end result was predictable: another embarrassing withdrawal, leaving Iran to pick up all the spilled chips and come away as the big winner. Win the battles and lose the war, again.

Need I add Afghanistan to the list? We laughed at the Russians getting their asses kicked, and helped play a significant role in their defeat. Then what do we do? Make the same mistakes as the Russians and finally hand over the country to the Taliban, leaving them with enough weaponry to be a real threat to US interests in the Middle East for years to come.

How would we fare in the Ukraine? Without strong political will, which is presently sorely lacking, we would not only lose, but we would force the Ukraine into an alliance with the Russians. No doubt we would also leave behind some very sophisticated high tech weaponry and air defense missile systems to bolster the Russian military.

Personally, I think we should defend our own borders before we even concern ourselves with any other country's borders. That is not a political statement, but it is a statement of fact and common sense.

I write all of the above as a patriotic USA citizen and ex-military officer.

To be fair Ukraine only managed to do what they did because they had our weapons and the russian weapons were degenerated by their govs corruption. This is a unique time, 20 years ago the result would have probably been quite different.