Science Forums

Botany Experiment

Tarantism

so me and a good buddy of mine, Loren (aka Loricybin), are going to perform a botany experiment on Poppies. the experiment will be this:

Sound Wave Experiment

overview: five plants will be planted simultaniously, and then given equal sunlight and equal water every day for a month. following being watered for the first time they will each be isolated and they will be introduced to a different kind of music. one will have jazz, one will have classical, one will have prog rock, etc. and this music will play for one hour a day for each day of the month of testing. once a week measurements will be taken of the haight of the plant, and leaf sizes. upon leafing, the leaves will be graded on a colorscale and when the poppies bud similar measurements will be taken of the plant buds. the experiment is to see if exposing plants to different kinds of music will alter their growing processes in any way.

Hypotheisis: i do not think that it will make much of if any difference in the growing process of the plants. i think that, even if there are variations in the hight or budding of the poppies, it will not be able to be directly attributed to the kind of music that was playing.

What a cliche science experiment. B)

I think the mythbusters did this one. If I remember correctly, hard-core rock yielded larger plants, while the other music categories did nothing.

Keep us updated.

hah i watch mythbusters all the time! i must have missed that one...oh well yeah ill post pictures and data here and good things like that.

perhaps using clones and hydroponics to help ensure more or less the same plants and growth parameters. just an idea. Are you growing them indoors? Poppies, i assume you are growing somnifera, dont do the best with artificail lighting such as flouros. interesting to see though. Discovery channel reported a few years ago that plants actually make sound such as when they are wounded, so maybe sound does affect them.