Science Forums

Number sequence

anto

Two years ago my Calculus teacher gave us a simple number sequence

1 2 4 8 15 30 50 100

and told us to find the next term. He gave us some basic hints.

1. The answer will be less than 150

2. The only "tools" needed are those of a fifth grade math student so Im guessing adding, subtracting, multyplying, dividing etc

I had forgotten about this and just remembered it. Its driving me crazy not being able to come up with the solutino, I have my teachers email so I can email him any solution we find here and hell tell us whether we have it or not.

p.s. No one has ever solved this sequence or so he says...

no one has ever solved it.. yet apparently there is an answer ;)

I look at the sequence and see that the numbers are never more than doubled, nor less than the sum of the previous 2..

So how do we know if we come up with the solution.. I am inclined to say 100, how do you know if thats correct?

I will keep thinking about it. Are you certain its the correct sequence?

Two years ago my Calculus teacher gave us a simple number sequence

1 2 4 8 15 30 50 100

and told us to find the next term. He gave us some basic hints.

1. The answer will be less than 150

2. The only "tools" needed are those of a fifth grade math student so Im guessing adding, subtracting, multyplying, dividing etc

I had forgotten about this and just remembered it. Its driving me crazy not being able to come up with the solutino, I have my teachers email so I can email him any solution we find here and hell tell us whether we have it or not.

p.s. No one has ever solved this sequence or so he says...

I am having trouble finding a pattern that yeilds an answer less than 150. My guess is that the next value should be 195. My ligic is that the first four numbers double. The fifth number 15 is the sum of the first four. From there it begins doubling again. The next number would be the fifth after the doubling restarted, so summing the previous 4 numbers yeilds 195.

My guess is that a very clever teacher is using this as a way to make kids (and now adults) think about math. There is probably no real answer.

I await the Katabatak breakdown in multiple bases from my hard shelled friend :friday: If there IS a pattern, it will not elude Turtle.

Bill

ps. This was my 2000th post.

Oh one more thing. Guys I know this is frustrating because we wont know wether we have an answer right away (we have to wait until he answers my email) but I really need your help, this puzzle is driving me crazy. So please guys help me. Remember the answer has to be less than 150,so 150 can't be the answer (When I guessed 150 a while ago he gave me the extra hint that it had to be less than 150).